Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2023, 06:54   #31

Boat: Marine Trader, Walkaround, 50'
Re: GPS via USB to Samsung A8 tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperJer View Post
Some models of the A8 have assisted GPS. This model SM-X200NZARXAR doesn't have it and it even doesn't have a mocking feature where I can install a third party app to access GPS data via USB or bluetooth. And Samsung doesn't recognize the model number. It is going back.

This is very strange, as I Googled that part number and Samsung does show it as a valid model. As many have said, ALL the Samsung TAB's have built in rather good GPS receivers, and defective TAB units are very rare. Try the following instructions:
https://devices.vodafone.com.au/sams...gps-on-or-off/

Be sure to start at step #1
Trawlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 06:59   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawlerman View Post
This is very strange, as I Googled that part number and Samsung does show it as a valid model. As many have said, ALL the Samsung TAB's have built in rather good GPS receivers, and defective TAB units are very rare. Try the following instructions:
https://devices.vodafone.com.au/sams...gps-on-or-off/

Be sure to start at step #1

I've been to the Samsung web site, entered that number and Samsung does not recognize it. Walmart, Best Buy and other big box stores do recognize that part number which leads me to believe that it is a "special" model built for sale events.
SkipperJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 07:09   #33

Boat: Viko S35 & S2 7.3

Have you looked for bluetooth option? Because you will be not able to charge tablet while using usb-gps. Bluetooth will give you option to be connected few meters from device (around the boat) and gps was always plug-in and it had gps lock even before I had to connect my phone. I have used that system in car when gps was broken on my phone for navigation.
But if you are looking to use OpenCPN as chartplotter - it has option to connect over wifi to tcp port if you have wifi network on the boat.

Upd. To use BT GPS instead of system - I had to switch android to dev mode to enable "gps mock up"
Texasvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 07:20   #34

Boat: Beneteau 461

Hi,

I've been using BAD elf plug in gps on my old ipad that doesn't have an internal gps.
https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-1008-detail
LorenzoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 07:26   #35

Boat: Beneteau 461

my apologies, the product has unfortunately discontinued. May search the used market may help.
LorenzoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 08:57   #36

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

I have a Bad Elf GPS Pro for my iPad, which i use as primary on my own boat and backup when I charter. But it looks like that product is discontinued and the replacement is $500. If the tablets have GPS, that would make more sense
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 10:04   #37

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Go to system devices and find the location of the GPS output. The port connection.
In open CPN or similar look for that port number. You should then be able to see if it is importing NMEA sentences to the plotter.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 10:05   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJThomas View Post
Go to system devices and find the location of the GPS output. The port connection.
In open CPN or similar look for that port number. You should then be able to see if it is importing NMEA sentences to the plotter.
Doesn't matter anymore, I returned the tablet for a refund.
Old 20-10-2023, 15:56   #39

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Good grief. The tablet almost certainly had internal GPS. As recommended by another post this could have been readily determined by installing the "GPS Status" app, which not only shows comprehensive GPS output but supports calibration of several sensors (tap in upper left corner to pull up the menu). It will show all of the internal sensors installed. It is small and the basic version costs nothing.

"Assisted GPS" uses data downloaded to improve GPS response and accuracy. It is not at all necessary for the GPS to operate - it just improves things when available.

Connecting an external GPS has a few quirks, such as needing an On-the-Go (OTG) adapter. Even if your tablet didn't have a GPS it would be far better to use Bluetooth for connection.

Samsung makes beautiful hardware, including their tablets. The downside is that their firmware/software is locked down and Samsung continually adapts to block open source firmware. Even if a work-around is found they have a habit of bricking. Samsung is also horrible at updating firmware on tablets; in my experience you would be lucky to get one annual OS update before they drop support. So without the ability to install open source firmware reliably the tablet retains security holes long after the fix has been distributed to other devices, and with that don't count on device driver updates. I avoid Samsung phones and tablets like the plague. Google allows the owner to unlock the bootloader and install open source ROMs - a big win. I am still using Google's OS on my Pixel phone because they are still updating the firmware every year and offer security patches every month. When that support ends I will install an open source ROM which will then stay current.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 16:51   #40

My Samsung A8 has a built in GPS and runs Navionics. (Open Capn available & free) No need for cell coverage. I am only confirming what others have said
sycheckmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 16:58   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycheckmate View Post
My Samsung A8 has a built in GPS and runs Navionics. (Open Capn available & free) No need for cell coverage. I am only confirming what others have said
What is your model number? I went to Samsungs web site for the A8 then searched the specs for GPS, nothing turned up.
Old 20-10-2023, 17:35   #42

Model SM-X200
sycheckmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 18:09   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
... bitch, roll ...
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
As far as I know, no user interface at all.
If you swipe left, you can mark a location and navigate to it. Swipe left once more and you can view your list of saved locations. If you tap the screen, you can access a menu of various settings (including a night mode).
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 19:58   #44

Boat: Cutter rigged Tahitiana

My Samsung Tab A (2018, 10.5, SM-T590) has GPS. I have used it very successfully sailing around SW Tasmania, where there is no mobile reception or wifi. It works perfectly with Navionics app, even down below in my steel boat.
Christian W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2023, 05:42   #45

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperJer View Post
The Garmin GLO 2 is a candidate now. I want to keep the GPS down below plugged into house power. And with bluetooth no cables to mess with.
The samsung wifi models have no GPS modul build in, they use wifi triangulation and mostly ip location. Additional the internal GPS of tablets and cell phones are fooled in harsh conditions. Have a samsung s7 FE wifi and I can see it puts location to where my boats wifi VPN is set to till it connects to orca core and gets all GPS data via BT.

I use the garmin glo GPS puck since 10 years together with an Ipad pro Wifi and an yacht devices NMEA to Wifi dongle as my yacht delivery setup to be independent whats installed. Wifi on purpose as the ipad pro 11" 2017 wifi model has a bigger battery instead the GPS modul and GPS is what eats a lot battery. So having it external and only BT extends battery life substantially. With additional tweaks to cut all unnecessary backup, logging and update it runs 2 days without charge.
The garmin glo2 togther with garmin pilot app is licensed for small recreational aircrafts and also deals properly with harsh condition on a boat. It has an additional battery build in, so if power goes out i have several powerbanks, the garmin glo2 and 2 tablets for navigation which i can strech to 10 days operation. You can plug in the garmin into the USB port of a samsung s7fe and it charges the puck but better use a powerbank or an usb outlet for it.
If you have apple ipads i would recommend to get the slightly more expensive Badelf GPS BT puck as it is also licensed but has a much better intergration into IOS ecosystem then Garmin Glo2.

I have additional now a samsung s7FE wifi with 12.4 screen and 4gb and 64 GB ram which is semi permanent installed at the helm in parallel to the axiom 7+.
Again no GPS as i run the orca core installed which has a 10Hz fast heading GPS with 9 axis and provides this via nMEA2000, BT and Wifi to the tablet, axiom and also connects to the Quantum 2 radar. The garmin glo2 is GPS backup in case of power outage.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps