Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 13:36   #1

Garmin 76 GPS Questions

I am able to receive gps data from the Garmin 76 just fine using NMEA/4800 settings on the 76 and COMx/4800 in OpenCPN. However, I am confused as to how to send routes to the 76. Is it possible? What is the meaning of "GRMN/GRMN(Host) mode" in the user guide? What should the garmin settings be to send a route to it? I haven't hit the right combo yet...I think I've tried all possible with no luck. Help much appreciated. Bruce
bhcva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 18:56   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
GRMN is the proprietary protocol used for software updates and use of Garmin proprietary planning software (etc.).

Probably use NMEA IN/OUT for routes, alas my G76 does not accept routes (e.g. from MaxSea). It accepts waypoints and I have to make the routes by myself (again).

With OpenCpn you can ask the question directly in the threads devoted to this subject.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 20:33   #3

Boat: Gemini 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcva View Post
I am able to receive gps data from the Garmin 76 just fine using NMEA/4800 settings on the 76 and COMx/4800 in OpenCPN. However, I am confused as to how to send routes to the 76. Is it possible? What is the meaning of "GRMN/GRMN(Host) mode" in the user guide? What should the garmin settings be to send a route to it? I haven't hit the right combo yet...I think I've tried all possible with no luck. Help much appreciated. Bruce
Here's how it works with my Garmin GPS 72. If I haven't checked Toolbox/GPS/Use Garmin... and if I have the GPS 72 set to NMEA/4800 I get position data from the GPS. If I try to send a route to the GPS OpenCPN thinks it worked but nothing happens on the GPS 72.

If I have checked Toolbox/GPS/Use Garmin... and if I have the GPS 72 set to NMEA/4800 I get position data from the GPS. If I try to send a route to the GPS OpenCPN posts "Error on Route Upload. Please check logfiles..." and nothing happens on the GPS 72.

If I have checked Toolbox/GPS/Use Garmin... and if I have the GPS 72 set to GRMN I don't get position data from the GPS. If I try to send a route to the GPS OpenCPN thinks it worked and the route appears on the GPS 72.

The GPS 72 has only the 4-pin Garmin connector. I have a cable that takes that to a DB-9 RS-232 connector which plugs into a serial port to USB adapter. Doesn't the GPS 76 have a USB port? Are you connecting with a serial port adapter or directly via the GPS 76's USB port? I don't know if that makes any difference (it shouldn't).

I don't know if that's any help to you. I have a Garmin GPS 12 that works the same way, so I figure Garmin isn't likely to have changed how they handle uploading routes.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 06:22   #4

Thanks for the replies. After retrying with a clear head, I was able to get a route sent to the GPSMap 76. With the GRMN box checked in OpenCPN and the 76 set to Garmin it does work.

Bruce
Old 13-01-2011, 07:14   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgd3 View Post

I don't know if that's any help to you. I have a Garmin GPS 12 that works the same way, so I figure Garmin isn't likely to have changed how they handle uploading routes.

Fabbian
I have had several models of Garmins and I can confirm that all mine worked the same way. None of them would accept a route via NMEA. They all required using the Garmin mode.

I have had a few pieces of software. None of them would accept position data via Garmin mode. That's a shame, because it meant switching modes often. With some, it required an intermediate translation. At least OpenCPN doesn't require this.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 10:20   #6

After trying one more time to be sure, it seems that the Garmin needs to be on the ROUTES page for it to accept a route. Bruce
Old 13-01-2011, 19:26   #7
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcva View Post
After trying one more time to be sure, it seems that the Garmin needs to be on the ROUTES page for it to accept a route. Bruce
Interesting. None of mine required that. But they did automatically go into a data transfer mode and locked up the screen until they were done. Couldn't navigate and upload routes at the same time. But I haven't done this with OpenCPN, only with Garmin Mapsource and Nobeltec.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 03:09   #8

Direct USB connection to Garmin works best

GPS72H soft 2.20, OCPN 2.3.1

1. USB cable, handheld in Garmin mode, Garmin USB drivers installed in Windows, GARMIN device as input, any setting for GRMN/HOST mode in OCPN - all fine for me (except across a USB hub and perhaps a crash not easy to reproduce). Position received and uploads without switching any settings.

2. USB cable, handheld in NMEA mode - idem (surprise!)

3. with a NMEA cable to RS232 port I did not succeed to upload RTE or WPT, although a couple of times I got a partial result ( 1,2 or 5 out of 9 route waypoints or so transferred, Garmin mode on both sides, error status signalled, COM1/NONE as GPS input, COM1 as route upload port).
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 05:20   #9

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn
Garmin usb cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
GPS72H soft 2.20, OCPN 2.3.1

1. USB cable, handheld in Garmin mode, Garmin USB drivers installed in Windows, GARMIN device as input, any setting for GRMN/HOST mode in OCPN - all fine for me (except across a USB hub and perhaps a crash not easy to reproduce). Position received and uploads without switching any settings.

2. USB cable, handheld in NMEA mode - idem (surprise!)

3. with a NMEA cable to RS232 port I did not succeed to upload RTE or WPT, although a couple of times I got a partial result ( 1,2 or 5 out of 9 route waypoints or so transferred, Garmin mode on both sides, error status signalled, COM1/NONE as GPS input, COM1 as route upload port).
My handheld the cable it came with is a 15 pin and it has a female end on it and won,plug in being female on my pc's can I get a addapter for the cable for it to put on the end for it to plug in ?
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, gps