Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 06:45   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Droid newbie, possible convert/defector from iphone. ROOTED! What next?

"Cannot enter setup while chroot is running"

That's a good thing, right?

Both ssh and vnc will start but I don't know what to do with them once they are open. akRDC also starts but all I can get from it is, "Cannot connect to localhost:5900"
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 07:46   #17

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

GM,

Sounds like you need to set your password within Linux Installer for vnc. Make sure the same password is entered into akRDC. You'll need to umount the loop file in order to access the menu where you provide your password in Linux Installer.

Close. Very close now...

armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 07:55   #18

Good news! I think. I seem to be looking at a blank linux desktop. I have a mouse pointer than I can move around with my finger. I have a menu that gives me keyboard, IP address, Access control, and Remote login items. Right now all I can do is amuse myself by taping the screen and watching the pointer instantly go where I tapped. No icons or anything. As for the keyboard, I don't know what to type. Nothing happens. I'm gonna play around with this for a while and then try to unmount the loop file and set the password. But first, is there anything cool I can do from this blank desktop?
Old 31-12-2012, 08:32   #19

GM,

It would probably be a good idea to make sure your passwords match - unless you want to play around with a blank desktop indefinitely...

I'm sure I encountered this kind of issue - but so long ago I forget what the resolution is. Using ES Explorer navigate to /data/local/linux/mnt/home/user_name/.vnc and open the config file as a text document. Let me know what it contains.

armido

armido
Old 31-12-2012, 08:33   #20

UPDATE:

I found a Create Icons menu with the following items:
Create X Shortcut
Linux command
Android command

Can I do something with these? Should I copy OpenCPN to my tablet and reference the exe with these doodads?
Old 31-12-2012, 08:46   #21

Hmmmm...

GM,

exe? Linux don't use .exe programs - unless run with wine... OpenCPN has to be compiled from source in your case using cmake. But, before we go there it is necessary to get your GUI working. Do your passwords match yet?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you installed debian stable and xfce - right?

I know you probably won't like this, but I think you should do your install over using Linux Deploy.

armido
Old 31-12-2012, 11:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
Hmmmm...

GM,

exe? Linux don't use .exe programs - unless run with wine... OpenCPN has to be compiled from source in your case using cmake. But, before we go there it is necessary to get your GUI working. Do your passwords match yet?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you installed debian stable and xfce - right?

I know you probably won't like this, but I think you should do your install over using Linux Deploy.

armido
Okay I will try Linux Deploy again, but I never was able to resolve the path issue before. Linux Deploy is now making new disk image.... I'm gonna crash now and let it percolate while I sleep. And yeah I installed Debian stable and xfce. I was never able to find the other password so I don't know if they matched or not. Anyway I will see what I got in the morning and mess with it more tomorrow. Thanks for all your time and help so far.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06   #23

Okay it failed. I reset the loop file size to 4096 in case it was a file size / format conflickt. It started downloading parts and pieces and installing. Finished. I hit the startup arrow and it mounted and turned all the services on. Including DNS, SSH, VNC, X Window System. Got a "<<< end: start" prompt.

I did the log on thing and the linuxchroot thing and I don't have the faintest idea of what happened or what I did or what I was supposed to have done but it never asked me for a password or anything. I did the get thing with the list of files in your directions and they are downloading now.............

Okay that's done. now I am doing the git clone git://opencpn.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/opencpn/opencpn thing. Oh crap. I skipped a step. I didn't make a download directory and cd to it. At least SOMETHING here is familiar to this old DOS/Windows guy... and I didn't do it. So now I guess everything is downloading to the root directory! All the opencpn files, that is. Can I do the cmake -DPREFIX=/usr -D CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE /home/Downloads/opencpn command anyway, when the download is finished, and just specify the file and not the path? Or do I have to back up and do that download over again. and clean up the root directory?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:03   #24

Woo-HOOOOOOOO! SUCCESS!!! BOO-YAH!!! WHO'S YO DADDY!!??? HOW D'YA LIKE ME NOW? OpenCPN is INSTALLED!

But I can't start it.

The terminal says "Error: Unable to initialize gtk, is DISPLAY set properly?"

Any ideas what to do now?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:21   #25

Don't know what I did, but it's running! Just gotta figure out how to make the app window bigger, and got to put some charts on the tablet for tha app. Thanks Armido, for everything! Pics tomorrow!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:48   #26

G.M.,

Good on ya! This makes you the second person, unless there are others we don't know about, who've done this.

The more who come aboard the better are our odds other obstacles will be overcome. GPS usage for example.

Thanks for sticking with it, and glad to have you aboard.

I may be heading northward tomorrow so may be away from internet for two, maybe three days.

You have the entire OpenCPN community to help out if you run into problems.

Working in a chroot environment sometimes reqiures one to liberalize permissions. ES Explorer works best for this.

By the way, I cut my teeth on DOS too.

armido
Old 01-01-2013, 09:11   #27

G.M.

Once you have OpenCPN finessed we'll get zyGrib installed too.

armido
Old 01-01-2013, 12:31   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
G.M.,

Good on ya! This makes you the second person, unless there are others we don't know about, who've done this.

The more who come aboard the better are our odds other obstacles will be overcome. GPS usage for example.

Thanks for sticking with it, and glad to have you aboard.

I may be heading northward tomorrow so may be away from internet for two, maybe three days.

You have the entire OpenCPN community to help out if you run into problems.

Working in a chroot environment sometimes reqiures one to liberalize permissions. ES Explorer works best for this.

By the way, I cut my teeth on DOS too.

armido
I haven't even checked yet to see if the GPS is working. I am inside a big steel ship at the moment and can't get any signal. I finally figured out how to copy CM93 into the loop file. Once the copy operation finishes I should be able to point OCPN to the charts. Fingers crossed. Nothing is easy! This whole process has been a hyooooge PITA. I really wish someone would port OCPN to Droid. It does what I need it to do a lot better than any existing Droid app. Anyway it's getting late here and I will check GPS function and chart loading tomorrow, and take a pic of OCPN running on the droid.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:32   #29

To all,

Tomorrow I'll be removing Linux Installer by Galoula from my instructions at opencpn.org. The application lacks important feedback necessary for a user to monitor installation progress and errors. It is also slow - either because the Galoula server is over taxed or....

Installation of linux using Linux Deploy is preferred and can take as little as 30 to 45 minutes depending on your internet parameters.

Installation of OpenCPN will take about the same amount of time without errors. You must recognize OpenCPN is not written for the armel architecture so instead of your libraries being where the installation process expects them to be - /usr/lib - they will probably be in /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi. Same applies, but less so for includes. The way you modify these is by adding -i to the cmake command "cmake -i -DEPREFIX=/usr -D CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE (top level of OpenCPN source) and answering yes when asked if you want. I'll be adding a list of libraries and sample of substituions you may need to make to the opencpn.org instructions tomorrow when I'll have my laptop. Can't do it with the Xoom. No java.

Adhere to my instructions and the process should be relatively quick and problem free.

armido
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53   #30

Well, I was never able to get the onboard GPS working with OCPN in Linux. I was able to load charts and stuff, but not able to feed real-time position information into the app. I am bringing this experiment to a close now. Hopefully, some day we will see an Android port of OCPN. Until then, I will just have to be satisfied with Marine Navigator and MX Navigator on the tablet, iNavX on the iphone while in U.S. waters, and OCPN on the laptop.

Tags
iphone