Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 17:23   #1096

Boat: 29'
Re: Charts II: NGA - 2700 Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
You are all doing an excellent job!
But like dougwm10 I can't see any downloadable .kap files from the link you have given.
There's lot's of info about charts yet to be done but where are there completed charts?
sure..a little more instruction:

NGA Charts Edit at OpenCPN.info (English)

and then choose the REGION you want from the left side....Region 2 for instance, is Mexico,South America,the carribean and Antarctica
after that,it should be pretty simple.You'll want a "kap" so right click, and "save as"
That's Very important.
If you just click left these links ,in Firefox,you'll get the whole kap as a text file!Yikes.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 02:30   #1097

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
sure..a little more instruction:

NGA Charts Edit at OpenCPN.info (English)

and then choose the REGION you want from the left side....Region 2 for instance, is Mexico,South America,the carribean and Antarctica
after that,it should be pretty simple.You'll want a "kap" so right click, and "save as"
That's Very important.
If you just click left these links ,in Firefox,you'll get the whole kap as a text file!Yikes.
Thanks for that - I had registered and signed in before but it didn't work for some reason.
And thanks for the "save as" tip because Chrome converts to a massive text file as well
I'll download a few more local charts and check the registration/calibration.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 03:09   #1098
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
Thanks for that - I had registered and signed in before but it didn't work for some reason.
And thanks for the "save as" tip because Chrome converts to a massive text file as well
I'll download a few more local charts and check the registration/calibration.
And just another tip: don't close the page without logging out previously!
In that case the system will think you are still logged in and will prevent you from entering. You will have to empty your cookie cache then!

Same happens when the page is left some time without user activity.

Hubert
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 03:14   #1099

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
And just another tip: don't close the page without logging out previously!
In that case the system will think you are still logged in and will prevent you from entering. You will have to empty your cookie cache then!

Same happens when the page is left some time without user activity.

Hubert
Thanks! That may be why I had to re-register to get back in.
hoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 12:01   #1100

2000 series is done as to quilting-out insets and textblocks...these are all dated mid-November.
Not done were 29142 and 29323 (a problematic "TM").Might have missed one or two others..
Old 18-11-2011, 07:56   #1101

44321 repaired. Update your collections!
Old 19-11-2011, 12:33   #1102

...finding several charts in 4000 series with wrong DTM corrections....from ED to WGS.Not all are wrong,but if you have these,GPS positions should be about 600 feet north and east from the printed lines of lat/long.
Thes will show in the OpenCPN chart bar as WGS.European Datum (ED)are not corrected and not an issue...yet.
Where corrections were given as seconds,they were sometimes entered straight into the dialogue. They should have been converted to minutes before-hand...
I haven't checked them all.Some are correct some are not.Look for new dates and you will see updated charts I have corrected..but these are mostly just new borders
Old 20-11-2011, 03:33   #1103

Boat: Dufour 35

Checking the 8* charts I found several charts that had been cropped quite a bit. This is an example.
Click image for larger version

Name:	layers5.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	33832

I can understand the intention, as there on many charts is no soundings at all in large areas. But there is an other thing to think about. If I want to read the printed chart information on the chart by switching from quilting to single mode, it's important that the PLY-line is close to the information, as it otherwise easily just disappears, when the center of the screen comes outside the polygon.

I think that we should follow the chart border as close as possible, while excluding areas with text etc, that can interfere with quilting. Such areas that are close can be cropped together.

We need a policy on this that everyone follows.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 04:32   #1104

I think that Marco has done a good job with the NZ charts. Download them and have a look. He uses non square polygons very sparingly.

Name:	layers6.png
Views:	119
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	33835

Name:	layers7.png
Views:	132
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	33836

Here is a case where slanting PLY are unavoidable as the Caribbean coverage is useless.

Name:	layers8.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	33837

Thomas
Old 20-11-2011, 07:53   #1105

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Checking the 8* charts I found several charts that had been cropped quite a bit. This is an example.
Attachment 33832

I can understand the intention, as there on many charts is no soundings at all in large areas. But there is an other thing to think about. If I want to read the printed chart information on the chart by switching from quilting to single mode, it's important that the PLY-line is close to the information, as it otherwise easily just disappears, when the center of the screen comes outside the polygon.

I think that we should follow the chart border as close as possible, while excluding areas with text etc, that can interfere with quilting. Such areas that are close can be cropped together.

We need a policy on this that everyone follows.

Thomas
I've run into this myself on a few occasions and yes, the thought is:
"If there's no soundings,wouldn't it be better to have a chart with soundings show through?"and,"Perhaps there's a reef there this ol' chart doesn't show"....It's hard to choose without all the local charts available,but disabling the chart out of the quilt is another solution where that is the case.

Thomas, per "it's important that the PLY-line is close to the information, as it otherwise easily just disappears, when the center of the screen comes outside the polygon."are you are saying that OpenCPN reacts to the PLYs even when in single "non-quilting" mode?
Old 20-11-2011, 08:28   #1106
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
....[/I]"are you are saying that OpenCPN reacts to the PLYs even when in single "non-quilting" mode?
Yes. If you move the center of the screen outside the poly, the chart disappears (and possibly, another one shows up). Of course, this is exactly what it should do. But, if you want to read the text on the edge of the chart, it makes it difficult. SO, it would be best to keep the polys as close to the edge as possible. Well, at least, for this purpose. There may be other reasons to do otherwise, like the soundings you mentioned.

It would actually be nice to have another mode in OCPN, like, single chart. Where you can see the chart raw, zoom in on the borders, see every little detail you want. No need to provide navigation with this view.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 08:33   #1107

...Answered my own question.Indeed,OpenCPN does react to PLYS this way...I guess she has to or she would not know which charts were available on any given location,without some sort of tile map.Frankly,I'd wish she didn't,and could take a page from Ozi Explorer's book in this regard and just use the image because she's a little touchy at the edges anways...but rather than beat on her!
'better to confess the example charts are ones I did and I can fix 'em.There aren't many where it's an issue....mostly these atolls...
Old 20-11-2011, 08:49   #1108

...glad you brought it up Thomas!
Experimenting with a single chart,all by itself informs me that the Ply line is ok up to centre screen and that might the clue to go by when drawing plys.She's not touchy at all.
Old 20-11-2011, 09:56   #1109

Dan & Happy
I agree that it would be nice with a third, shall we call it "documentation" mode(?). IIRCC many US charts contains a lot of useful info in the margins.
I imagine that his can be done on the fly, by temporary recalculate the PLY:s to the picture border, using the same georeferencing. It will take some time, but I think that's OK in this case.

It's difficult to always follow hard rules with the PLY lines. On 38584 I just could not make myself exclude the "Caution" notes. Well maybe we could make a rule out of this. "If the charts warns about incomplete the survey, make sure that this note will always be visible."

Thomas
Old 20-11-2011, 10:37   #1110

I know how you feel,alright per "incomplete survey" and especial notes but,it almost brings us back to "NOT FOR NAVIGATION" again!How about a "Leave- them-in-if-they-are-easy-to-leave-in" rule...(edit)and Easy-to-spot-boat-in-the-clutter
...for some of my nasties I'm referring to the REFS to bring em back,but I'm halfway through the 8000's I bugg&rd up..

You have to keep yer eye on me,because I will do things just to see
"Nothing ventured-nothing gained".My boat has the scars to prove it!

PS I'm still curious about 81329 and 81737...

Tags
charts