Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 11:52   #496

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Charts II: NGA - 2700 Charts

Hubert...
currently working on allowing decimal seconds, please add a note to the chart comments, that we have to adjust the values.

Thanks

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 11:53   #497

Boat: 29'

THAT is FANTASTIC! I just tried 29025Hope it works.I haven't downloaded it yet to check.

mind a few comments?in process?
I'm not too sure why the crosshairs should be "inside"the corner border lines.After all, a line of lat/long crossing on a chart IS the place.And it's anyways somewhat easier to center the calibration cross IN the lines than to find a fuzzy edge.

Also...I noticed that my best efforts calibrating at corners couldn't get Latitudes and Longitudes to agree per X and Y where logically,they should...If I could have typed the pixel values in (and observed any weirdness),I would have been happier.Sure,It's just a few pixels,but it ain't "square".
I had the turn blue thing TiaBu had ...sort of a "select all"feel to it but didn't seem to matter-the chart was saved,I think...

It worked flawlessly whatever,here on Portable FF.
You've both done TOO GOOD a job.It's almost... confusing.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 11:58   #498

..I see that for me,in FF,to download the kap,it's a "save link as" ...or I'll end up with one heck of a text+code file on screen...
Old 31-08-2011, 12:01   #499

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

O.k. I feel dumb. I've tried the calibration on the latest version of Firefox and the latest version of IE. Machine is running Windows 7.

I can't get the calibration graphics to work at all. Am I doing it wrong? I've tried clicking on and dragging the little red square. I've tried clicking on and dragging the chart image. I've tried the different scales. Nothing works.

No numbers ever show up in the boxes beside "SW", "NW", etc. The reset buttons don't seem to do anything.

Suggestions? Help?
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 12:04   #500
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Pavel,

tried to open the process to add the comment and as I had the 52121 open for editing already the application asked to finish that process first to start another session.
I just closed the tap in the browser instead of using the "exit" and now I cannot open the process for the 52119 - and neither the 52121 to exit "properly".
A case for Netsurfer, I suppose....

Hubert

"The problem is sitting in front of the screen"
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 12:06   #501

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Pavel,

tried to open the process to add the comment and as I had the 52121 open for editing already the application asked to finish that process first to start another session.
I just closed the tap in the browser instead of using the "exit" and now I cannot open the process for the 52119 - and neither the 52121 to exit "properly".

Hubert

You know, that may be the same problem I'm having. I'm trying to work on a chart that I exited from earlier in the afternoon by simply closing the browser when I got confused.
Old 31-08-2011, 12:20   #502
bcn

Another observation:
"Click here to download the KAP file." will open a tap in Opera displaying the text file.
To download the file it would be necessary to right-click and select "Save to download folder"

Hubert
Old 31-08-2011, 12:22   #503

as an aside,since I did chart 29025 previously for myself ..just comparisons of position.Wow.(and no,I'm not fretting about not being centred,because this is a 1961 chart-ie:"unknown"GD...might be a clue to GD ..anyone recognize this offset? )

Click image for larger version

Name:	My29025.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	31014 Click image for larger version

Name:	Online29025.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	31015
Old 31-08-2011, 12:22   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
I'm not too sure why the crosshairs should be "inside"the corner border lines.After all, a line of lat/long crossing on a chart IS the place.And it's anyways somewhat easier to center the calibration cross IN the lines than to find a fuzzy edge.
Because like that we cover the most area for the geometry calculations and get the best precision from them.
Quote:
Also...I noticed that my best efforts calibrating at corners couldn't get Latitudes and Longitudes to agree per X and Y where logically,they should...If I could have typed the pixel values in (and observed any weirdness),I would have been happier.Sure,It's just a few pixels,but it ain't "square".
That's exactly the point - the charts usually look like a perfect rectangle at the first sight, but are skewed (or in worse cases bent, warped or whatever) to various degree as a result of NGA's scanning. Even a skew of a fraction of a degree makes a difference of dozens of pixels between the corners at full resolution.
Having 3 and more corners, we can employ powerful mathematics(TM) to repair the chart and make it an almost perfect rectangle as part of the KAP generation.
The math involved in doing the same with reference points anywhere else is way more complicated and involves a lot of conversions using the actual geographic coordinates, thus loosing a lot of precision - way more than if you place the corner 1 or 2 pixels off. We will probably be able to do these more complicated calculations at a later point, but I have to return back to school a couple more times first
We try to produce the charts with SK=0.0 and we try it to be true. As a reward our charts look much better in the chartplotters, as we have much more time and data to do those calculations while creating the charts than the plotters while displaying them.

Pavel
Old 31-08-2011, 12:28   #505

Quote:
Pavel,

Hubert

The idea here is not to loose the data in case of accidental browser crash or similar situations. Unfortunately sometimes it confuses itself a bit. The cure is to clear the browser cache and restart the browser.
Hopefully we will solve it in a more elegant way.

Pavel
Old 31-08-2011, 12:32   #506

Ok,thanks Pavel.Perfect sense-I was wondering if that was the idea per "no pixel agreement" ..and I just now figured that my whine per a "centred line" would maybe show a teeny black edge in quilting the charts too!
Old 31-08-2011, 12:35   #507
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
The idea here is not to loose the data in case of accidental browser crash or similar situations. Unfortunately sometimes it confuses itself a bit. The cure is to clear the browser cache and restart the browser.
Hopefully we will solve it in a more elegant way.

Pavel
In this case the loss of one process (= perhaps 5 minutes in the worst case - probably a lot less when we are doing some more calibrations) is less important than to clear the browser cache. Cookies used?

Hubert
Old 31-08-2011, 12:39   #508

Quote:
Cookies used?
Yes, more than I like. Really appreciate I left web development quite a long time ago

Pavel
Old 31-08-2011, 12:49   #509
bcn

Pavel,

what else can we test?
Or should we wait for version 0.91 (to say so) ?

We all appreciate a lot the effort taken by the core crew!

Hubert
Old 31-08-2011, 12:56   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
O.k. I feel dumb. I've tried the calibration on the latest version of Firefox and the latest version of IE. Machine is running Windows 7.

I can't get the calibration graphics to work at all. Am I doing it wrong? I've tried clicking on and dragging the little red square. I've tried clicking on and dragging the chart image. I've tried the different scales. Nothing works.

No numbers ever show up in the boxes beside "SW", "NW", etc. The reset buttons don't seem to do anything.

Suggestions? Help?
I still can't get this process to work at all. I have tried resetting the browser cache. I've tried moving on to another chart. Does anyone know why I might be having problems?

Tags
charts