Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2019, 10:18   #1

BU-353S4 stops working on Windows10

Greetings,
I am trying to have some help & ideas where to look for the problem:
Just got BU-353S4 and I want to use it with OpenCPN. The laptop is Lenovo G585 running Windows 10 Home, 64 bit.
Installed BU without problems, configured COM port, had it working with OpenCPN 5.x. The problem is that it stops working after 2-3 minutes.
The BU light is still flashing red (meaning it works), but OpenCPN does not have connection with it anymore.
I tried using different USB (Com) ports, same problem.
If I close OpenCPN and restart, it starts working again for a few minutes then it stops.
Running NMEA Debug, everything seems ok - while it is working - then it just stops showing msgs and OpenCPN shows red dot in the upper right corner. No more GPS connection.
I would appreciate if someone can point out where I should look for the problem. I used GPSinfo utility to test & run BU unit and it runs without problem as long as it is connected to the laptop.
Thank you,
Z.
OldDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 20:11   #2

Re: BU-353S4 stops working on Windows10

Update on my previous post - which BTW (so far) everyone ignored .... After spending one more day trying to figure out what is going on, I removed version 5.x and went back to OpenCPN Ver 4.8.2.
Now the BU unit is working just fine. No lost connection.
I would still like to know if anyone else experienced similar problem.
Z.
Old 18-12-2019, 06:08   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

you were not ignored,i read your post,but thought suggesting re installing the drivers on the gps puck would probably not solve the problem,cause you undue anguish and possibly result in screen breakage and keyboard hammering

FYI i have old XP software one one of my puters and opcn 4.8 works,but 5.0 does not
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 10:41   #4

Atoll thank you for posting - and it turns out your advice would be the correct one this time. The same thing was suggested to me by Uwe from ocharts. I already tried to check & update the driver ( for virtual serial port - from Prolific ) and my smart Windows 10 convinced me that I do have the latest driver installed. Being lazy as I am often , I believed and just continued troubleshooting all around.
Yesterday I checked again and looked more carefully what do I have - driver date etc - and I was "happy" to see that my installed driver was dated 2011-04-29. Great ! For sure it was the latest and best driver for Windows 10
So after downloading the latest Prolific driver ( 2018-07-12, ver 3.8.25.0) I went to manually update the driver - pointing the right directory to my Windows 10 and asking to update the driver. But being smart as always, Windows 10 flatly refused to do it saying once again that I ALREADY HAVE THE BEST & LATEST driver installed. Go figure. In 2011 as far as I know the Win10 crap did not even exist. So I removed the old driver and installed the new one. Went back to OpenCPN 5.x. So far so good, the BU puck is running since yesterday with no interruption. Now I am one happy old duck. Thanks to all for reading this. It might save some time to someone. Check the driver version carefully and do not trust your Windows.
Last night I started to put together my old Gateway and installed Linux on it. We’ll see how the OpenCPN will behave on it. Z.

Tags
wind, work