Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2008, 16:31   #1

Boat: Catalina 320 - Reflection
Perko service panel

My Catalina 320 has a Perko battery service panel with 2 circuit breaker knobs. 1-135 amp and 1-80 amp for the windlass. My windlass isn't working and I want to check the breaker. It says push/on and pull/off. There isn't much play between on and off. Does the knob actually pull out of the panel? How do you check the breakers? I pulled but didn't want to pull too hard if that's not the case. There's a small red light by the windlass knob. What is it's function?

Thanks for any suggestions.
tsampsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 16:56   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsampsel View Post
My Catalina 320 has a Perko battery service panel with 2 circuit breaker knobs. 1-135 amp and 1-80 amp for the windlass. My windlass isn't working and I want to check the breaker. It says push/on and pull/off. There isn't much play between on and off. Does the knob actually pull out of the panel? How do you check the breakers? I pulled but didn't want to pull too hard if that's not the case. There's a small red light by the windlass knob. What is it's function?

Are you sure they are circuit breakers not switches?
What brand are the circuit breakers? A pic would help a lot.

This is only a start

There is usually very little distance difference between "off and on" on push type circuit breakers. You should feel a click when pushing or pulling. Pulling "off" is usually easier. Pushing "on" you should feel a little springy resistance before it holds. The light should come on if the breaker is holding and sending voltage down line. If the light comes on while you push but goes off after you let go you'll need to break out the Volt meter and trace down the problem.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 17:23   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:

The red light tells you if it is on or not.

The switch is fairly stiff. Was on a friend's 320 last week and he asked if I would pull it out while I was sitting there. It took more effort than I expected, but it doesn't come off. It does kinda make a chunk feel when it moves.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 07:55   #4

Tellie,
They say circuit breakers. According to the Maxwell (windlass) manual it requires an isolator and I assume this is it. The light is not on. I will shoot a photo and upload later this evening. The battery switch/knob says Perko (Off, 1, both, 2) so my maybe incorrect assumption is the breakers are too. Or maybe it was a convenient place for Catalina to put them.

FrankZ,
So if they don't come out of the panel, then I have to open up the panel and go behind to replace if necessary? Again the little red light bulb by the windlass breaker is not on when I turn the house battery on.

Thanks guys. Photo coming.

Todd Sampsel
Old 18-08-2008, 16:00   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Tellie,
They say circuit breakers. According to the Maxwell (windlass) manual it requires an isolator and I assume this is it. The light is not on. I will shoot a photo and upload later this evening. The battery switch/knob says Perko (Off, 1, both, 2) so my maybe incorrect assumption is the breakers are too. Or maybe it was a convenient place for Catalina to put them.

FrankZ,
So if they don't come out of the panel, then I have to open up the panel and go behind to replace if necessary? Again the little red light bulb by the windlass breaker is not on when I turn the house battery on.

Todd Sampsel
Circuit breaker/isolator is used interchagabley in this case. Again if the light is not on then somewhere between your battery and the light you are not getting an electrical current. It could even be a bad light. Do you have a multi meter? This is a rather easy trace with a mulit meter. First check all the electrical connections. Take them off one at a time and clean them. Good chance this is your problem. This is a great exercise in learning basic boat electrics. Work this one out and you'll have down 90% of most electrical failures on a boat.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 16:43   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:

FrankZ,

Todd Sampsel

I am not sure on replacement, but I suspect you would have to remove the panel. I was back on that boat today and gave the switch another go and it does take a lot more effort to move it then one would initially think. ANd the throw is extremely short. You pull or push harder and harder then it just pops and you barely feel it move.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 14:22   #7

Talking

I'll do the multimeter thing. The previous owner had all the wires initialed at the 4D battery posts, but didn't leave a decipher code as to what they meant or where they went. Once I figure out what's what, I'm seriously considering putting the 4D's in series as house batteries (#2) and get a starter for the engine(#1). The Catalina 320 has a spot for another battery under the port settee. Any recommendations on good books about 12v systems? I've heard of the 12v Bible but apparently it was written several years ago and some people aren't real impressed with it. I've also heard of 12v for Dummies which might fit me to a tee

Thanks!