Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2023, 06:17   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hypothetical

If your this paranoid about being snuck up on, don't move onto a boat.. there's loads of threads been started about how to secure your boat but there is no way to achieve it that's completely secure from a determined thief/assailant regardless of what the macho cannoneers may claim.
It would need to be air/gas tight for a start so that means no thu' hulls or at the very least shutting them after use of head, sinks, hatches are also not airtight especially the companion way, forget dorado's for ventilation..
Stick to the land mate, your to strung out for a life afloat.. or, buy the boat and sail away to remote atolls and stay off grid.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 18:36   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Hypothetical

You know...I joined here in 2006. It was such a normal group then...not so much now. I have watched good, solid members drift away. I'm assuming they just drifted away with the new dribble I read in different threads now. We use to make fun of the people with the 2 year, 5 year and 10 year dream plans...only to watch them fizzle away over the sunset which is usually equal to less than 100 posts. Maybe it's my imagination but I seem to remember a hell of a lot more people signing up in meets and greets. Not so much anymore. Maybe Facebook is taking over and forums like this are going by the wayside.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 21:05   #18

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter
Hypothetical

If Chotu is calling this guy paranoid… the ****. We’ve gone to a new dimension…

…chotu- love ya dude. But based on other threads… you’re already the definition of paranoid when it comes to nautical security.

To each their own. It is a large continuum. I mean no disrespect!

Peace-
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 00:45   #19

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
You know...I joined here in 2006. It was such a normal group then...not so much now. I have watched good, solid members drift away. I'm assuming they just drifted away with the new dribble I read in different threads now. We use to make fun of the people with the 2 year, 5 year and 10 year dream plans...only to watch them fizzle away over the sunset which is usually equal to less than 100 posts. Maybe it's my imagination but I seem to remember a hell of a lot more people signing up in meets and greets. Not so much anymore. Maybe Facebook is taking over and forums like this are going by the wayside.
You make a good point. There's been a degree of unkindness to the OP. And we see that a little too often with novices asking questions.

And the OPs concern for safety is very valid. Sensors and burglar alarms are difficult to manage, especially when on a mooring as boats are travelling past on a frequent basis.

At the marina where my boat is moored in Fiji virtually every boat has been burgled in the past 12 months (most boats are on moorings, minimal slips available). 3 or 4 years ago a yotty at another Fijian marina was tortured by a couple of thugs that came aboard in the night wanting money. He was seriously injured.

There are real risks to one's person and one's gear. With the burglaries we're leaning to it being one of the cruising community because the kind of stuff taken is invariably good quality sailing gear.

But is the risk higher than on land? I watched the movie Fargo and that city didn't look especially safe. So I can empathise with the OPs concerns and trepidations.
Old 12-02-2023, 03:25   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
You make a good point. There's been a degree of unkindness to the OP. And we see that a little too often with novices asking questions.

And the OPs concern for safety is very valid. Sensors and burglar alarms are difficult to manage, especially when on a mooring as boats are travelling past on a frequent basis.

At the marina where my boat is moored in Fiji virtually every boat has been burgled in the past 12 months (most boats are on moorings, minimal slips available). 3 or 4 years ago a yotty at another Fijian marina was tortured by a couple of thugs that came aboard in the night wanting money. He was seriously injured.

There are real risks to one's person and one's gear. With the burglaries we're leaning to it being one of the cruising community because the kind of stuff taken is invariably good quality sailing gear.

But is the risk higher than on land? I watched the movie Fargo and that city didn't look especially safe. So I can empathise with the OPs concerns and trepidations.
In this case, the OP has gone beyond a concern for burglary to the notion that evildoers will spend the time to track his protege down, spend the money to journey to the boat with SCUBA gear, and possibly inject toxic gases though a thru-hull, which no doubt involves an amount of expense and bother on its own.
He's past worrying about petty break-ins, and onto KGB-level assassin attacks. In other words, he's taken a reasonable thing too far, and thus the chorus of hoots.
Hopefully they will serve to reassure him, and he can prepare instead for more realistic threat levels and enjoy life a little.

Tags
cal