Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you like sailing
Yes, I'm totally in it for the sailing. 72 71.29%
Yes on a good day, but I'm more in it for the life style than the sailing 26 25.74%
No, I tolerate the sailing because I like the cruising 1 0.99%
No, hate it 0 0%
Other. Please specify 2 1.98%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2011, 07:40   #31

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Do you actually like sailing?

For me it depends on the conditions.

Having the wind pick up enough to hoist the sails is a wonderful feeling. Bashing into 6-8 foot seas in 25 knots of wind for hours on end in a 30-footer is not such a wonderful feeling.

The happiest part for me is the overall aspect of island cruising and sharing that experience with others. Anchoring off an uninhabited islands, snorkeling, swimming and exploring is just magical. The means by which the boat was powered there doesn't significantly impact the overall enjoyment of cruising for me.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 07:43   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,

WE LOVE IT and we go sailing as often as we can
Old 14-06-2011, 07:51   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

sucker for punishment,adventure junkie,getting wet, going nowhere fast,
probably best decribes my last 100,000 miles...................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 08:01   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

The only problem I have with sailing is that it cuts into the time I could be spending in a kayak. Of course, the only problem I have with kayaking....
Old 14-06-2011, 08:14   #35

Boat: searching

The sails are up and full, and I reach over and kill the engine. That is a great moment! If we can ever get to a place and time I will be happier to wait for the wind. For now though, with big currents and fickled winds, we have to be satisfied with the destinations more than the sailing. I will bet my last bottom dollar, when we cast off and head north in a few days, the wind will come on the nose. LOL.
Old 14-06-2011, 08:46   #36

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The only problem I have with sailing is that it cuts into the time I could be spending in a kayak. Of course, the only problem I have with kayaking....
Solution: bring the kayak. Am finding space for my Dagger CFS this year. Should be fun for getting into shallow spots and doing some standing waves where there's enough current.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 09:15   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbseesmoore View Post
The sails are up and full, and I reach over and kill the engine. That is a great moment! If we can ever get to a place and time I will be happier to wait for the wind. For now though, with big currents and fickled winds, we have to be satisfied with the destinations more than the sailing. I will bet my last bottom dollar, when we cast off and head north in a few days, the wind will come on the nose. LOL.
rofl--you KNOW he west coast has always got the wind on the nose--every time..LOL... doesnt matter your direction, wind is always on nose....daysails of out and back never did do it for me--i like long passages to new places.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 09:23   #38
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Solution: bring the kayak. Am finding space for my Dagger CFS this year. Should be fun for getting into shallow spots and doing some standing waves where there's enough current.
We have a pair of Eddyline sea kayaks on the bow wherever we go. And a Caribe RIB in the davits, just in case we want to do some diving after the paddling and the sailing.

Can't ever have too many boats.
Old 14-06-2011, 09:35   #39

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Been around the water and sailors all my life... I love a good sail but most sailors give in to the rigors of most sailboats/sailing and wind up trawlering or some form of powerboat..ultimately every boater when too feeble for anything else owns an old town canoe/cabin on a high mountain lake and remembers the past with fondness...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 10:11   #40

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

"Other" because two answers apply to me.

I have been sailing for about 45 years and cruising with my wife for the past 6. Up until about 3 years ago I agreed with the majority of posters on this thread that merely getting underway and sailing around for a few hours was the epitome of enjoyment. After beating to windward in 25-30 knot winds and 8-10 foot seas a number of times in the past few years, sailing has become much less attractive as a way to while away hours/days. Even the pleasant days with 15 knots and 3 foot seas don't give me nearly as strong a feeling of contentment now that they did in earlier years. Perhaps because we have covered so many thousands of miles in a relatively short time, sailing in itself has degenerated from satisfying relaxation to a boring necessity to get from one cruising anchorage to another. I suspect that the added years on the old body may have something to do with this, too.

Could this be a case of too much of a good thing?
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 11:20   #41

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42

Sailing is like kinky sex! normally very enjoyable but occassionally a pain in the butt.

As some have already stated beating (No pun intended) into two metre waves for hours on end would not be the one of the selected highspots. Never the less we do it...as needed... to arrive at a destination which generally repays us many times over. Every coffee drunk at a sunrise or a whiskey at a sunset tastes so much better. The tranquility of a few days anchored in a secluded bay repays so much more than any effort associated with getting there.

There are few sports/pastimes which enables one to harness natural elements to enjoy a unique experience. Few sports offer the myriad of opportunities that sailing does it even requires us to pay a maintainence fee/price to ensure that we understand that nothing is free. So I enjoy all its vagaries but keep a good lubricant handy just in case for when its my infrequent turn in the barrel.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 11:31   #42

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglooff View Post
Sailing is like kinky sex! normally very enjoyable but occassionally a pain in the butt.

As some have already stated beating (No pun intended) into two metre waves for hours on end would not be the one of the selected highspots. Never the less we do it...as needed... to arrive at a destination which generally repays us many times over. Every coffee drunk at a sunrise or a whiskey at a sunset tastes so much better. The tranquility of a few days anchored in a secluded bay repays so much more than any effort associated with getting there.

There are few sports/pastimes which enables one to harness natural elements to enjoy a unique experience. Few sports offer the myriad of opportunities that sailing does it even requires us to pay a maintainence fee/price to ensure that we understand that nothing is free. So I enjoy all its vagaries but keep a good lubricant handy just in case for when its my infrequent turn in the barrel.

Regards

Alan
No offense intended...but what age are you and are you in perfect health????
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 12:44   #43

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
We have a pair of Eddyline sea kayaks on the bow wherever we go. And a Caribe RIB in the davits, just in case we want to do some diving after the paddling and the sailing.

Can't ever have too many boats.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 21:33   #44

Boat: Ct 37
I love sailing watching the sails fill feeling the power through the lines and the boat picking up speed Cruising fun racing fun just goin out and sailing around the bay is fun nothing better than messing about on sailboats
Pato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 21:36   #45

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

The only time I smile is when I'm sailing. Everything else on the planet sucks except for Mexican food, my family, and random boobs.

Tags
sailing