Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2011, 18:17   #61

Boat: 1970 Hughes 29
Thumbs up Re: Bringing a Larger Boat Into a Slip Without An Engine

[QUOTE=capngeo;667784]Honestly? Just drop the sails and let the carry-on bring you in... Zigzag if you need to bleed off speed. Do it all the time just to piss off the stink boaters![/QU

but dont you have to reley on the wind
Furface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2011, 18:22   #62

Boat: 1970 Hughes 29
Re: Bringing a Larger Boat Into a Slip Without An Engine

Hi i am furfaces grand daughter i do have some experience sailing to answer questions fome learning it all from poppa :P
Furface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 17:20   #63

Boat: Peterson 46

I have done it once, on a beat from Digby Is. to Mackay Marina. In 35kn SW which shifted to a Westerly and some choppy seas; through the edge of the Coal ship anchorage. It was an experience I never want to try again, but it worked sweet. The pen was on the outside, so was easy to slide into.

As I lined up the entrance to the harbour, and skooted along the southerly breakwater, a 6m fibreglass speedboat appeared, fishing along the wall. I could have reached out and touched him - it unnerved him a little. In the harbour, I dropped the main and furled most of the genny, used it to round up and then off the wind to slide to the marina end and into the pen.

It was a little stressful until my wife stepped off with the fwd and aft springs.

If I can do it, any one can!
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:19   #64

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II

where my boat is located unless the wind was from the west it would be impossible. it was way to tight to tack and its about 600 yards from the open bay and is usually blocked from any wind if its not east or west, not to mention the homeowners with their boats along side the canal that i would not want to put at risk. boat us is a good 150 dollars well spent in my opinion and that is my method if she decides shes had enough. im not going to put other peoples property at risk just to get my boat back.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:41   #65

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.L.Green View Post
where my boat is located unless the wind was from the west it would be impossible. it was way to tight to tack and its about 600 yards from the open bay and is usually blocked from any wind if its not east or west, not to mention the homeowners with their boats along side the canal that i would not want to put at risk. boat us is a good 150 dollars well spent in my opinion and that is my method if she decides shes had enough. im not going to put other peoples property at risk just to get my boat back.
Very good point...while it can be done as some have said...good luck when things aren't lined up in one way or another...can I do it??? Sure got yelled at by the US Navy sailing center plenty of times...for good reason. If things change quick...in many situations a boat under sail just can't do what it needs to...thus the higher status in rules of the road.

A good talent to have??? You bet...but it's still a bet in many cases.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:36   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
Gosh, are you sure? It always worked on the Popeye cartoons! lol My 6pack teacher, retired Navy Captain said you really only need to know four knots really well, more is just redundancy. So I guess I have hope.

Bowline
Square Knot
Half Hitch
??
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:45   #67

tie to a cleat...which a HUGE bunch of experienced boaters can't seem to get right.....
Old 07-06-2011, 12:49   #68

Boat: Pearson 422

Interesting thread with lots of wisdom that I won't repeat. I will offer a couple tactics for consideration, one that I've used, another that a wiser, more experienced sailor taught.

First, have a stern anchor at the ready. Doesn't have to be much of an anchor, just a lunch hook works fine. Drop it as you sail in to the slip and then use the rode as a brake. Much preferred over riding the bow up on a concrete wall (saw that method used once - not pretty)

Second, if you choose the dinghy method, tie it alongside facing the opposite direction. Then back the dinghy to move the boat forward. Not much power in reverse, but you have a lot of extra power to stop the sailboat when needed.

I'll also second the notion of practice. We've spent many family sailing outings practicing various maneuvers: MOB, mooring, docking etc. All safely out in the middle of nowhere. Tried to make a game of it to keep it fun and interesting. Paid off many times over.

Best
greg
s/v Paperbid
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 13:05   #69

Two options:

1. under sail
2. under tow

Are you asking "how to"??

IT DEPENDS on ALL the conditions invovlved as well as the boat. For the same boat, it'll most likely be different every time.. Practice doing it using sometning soft and floating as your pretend dock...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 14:48   #70

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Paperbird... never thought of having the dink in the opposite direction to give extra power in case of emergency stop. Good suggestion! It is important to build skill levels to the point that relying on your engine to enter your slip isn't necessary IMHO. But many times wind and current conditions make that difficult if not impossible.
The more familiarity one has about how their vessel handles under different circumstances, the better they can deal with problem situations and the higher the confidence level of the skipper.
Making it a fun exercise is a great idea and will certainly keep your skills honed if practiced regularly... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 00:17   #71

I did not see anyone mention kedging the boat in.
HaroldRamis4329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:08   #72

[QUOTE=Furface;686084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Honestly? Just drop the sails and let the carry-on bring you in... Zigzag if you need to bleed off speed. Do it all the time just to piss off the stink boaters![/QU

but dont you have to reley on the wind
Did it all the time with the 30 footer. Something about that extra 10 feet and 10,000 lbs that changes things.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:08   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969Boat341970 View Post
I did not see anyone mention kedging the boat in.
Now how would a single hander in a blow kedge into a slip??
Old 12-07-2011, 06:07   #74

Sailing into a slip in my marina with 3 knots of current, strong sea breeze right down the chute and boats with anchors sticking well past the pilings could be done in maybe 1 out of every 10 or 20 times coming in.

I'd bet my sailing skills against most posting in this forum.

So yes it CAN be done but in most situations it would be just plain irresponsible...other marinas...maybe no sweat 90 percent of the time.

One size doesn't fit all depending on how you picture the situation.

Even using a dingy here you would wait till slack water unless you have a powerful dink.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:02   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcobra View Post
Now how would a single hander in a blow kedge into a slip??
Very slowly.
HaroldRamis4329 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine