Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2023, 17:40   #61

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Brain Buster- How to use a bosuns chair to reach the end of a cantilevered beam?

What a fantastic post! Thank you. That was informative and entertaining at the same time. I laughed so hard when I read the part about forgetting something. You know that’s bound to happen. Ha ha ha.

Thank you for the climbing and arborist perspective. That’s exactly what I was hoping for.

It’s nothing much to worry about anyway. The worst thing that can happen is I go for a swim. Lol it’s out over the water. I will probably make my way out to the end on a warm day so the swim is pleasant
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2023, 18:05   #62

Re: Brain Buster- How to use a bosuns chair to reach the end of a cantilevered beam?

Aw shucks!

I'm sure, young Chotu, you'd enjoy the master Brion Toss's Kindle e-book 'Falling'.
It is short - around 60 pages - and is available via Amazon for around $4.50 AIR.
notoldbilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2023, 11:33   #63

Dutch Harbor Boatyard Jamestown:

Unfortunately we can not haul a catamaran here. Our max beam is 14ft. The bulkhead here is owned by the town but it is a parking area where you can't always reserve the space for the crane. You would need to go somewhere with a travel lift.
Dutch Harbor Boatyard

I think that’s what? Number 25? Marina number 25?
Old 15-08-2023, 12:27   #64

Some of you guys are making me feel like I have been crazy for the last two years.

“ just get someone to move your mast”
“ just hire a machine shop“
“ just hire a welder”
“ just go over and use the crane at a marina”
“ just haul the boat out”

Look what has also made it into literature these days:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E88A4225-B048-4D4E-9544-0A6879CCB02E.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	279650  
Old 16-08-2023, 05:45   #65

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Is this the place you were talking about in old Saybrook?
No, that is much farther up the river. The place I am talking about is called North Cove. It is the second cove on the left on the way in, maybe half a mile from the breakwater. You turn left at Connecticut River Can 15. It is a large rectangular dredged harbor with maybe a hundred morning buoys. We have been told several times that the protocol in the harbor is to take any open buoy (no fee, no harbor master, just take a buoy). We look for the dirtiest ones since they are likely the least used.

The nice Town dock is really an overstatement. It's maybe a 50 ft pier with a t-head on the end and a floating dinghy dock behind it. At high tide you can get 7 ft of draft close enough to the pier to jump, but you should have no problem with your boat.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2023, 05:53   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
No, that is much farther up the river. The place I am talking about is called North Cove. It is the second cove on the left on the way in, maybe half a mile from the breakwater. You turn left at Connecticut River Can 15. It is a large rectangular dredged harbor with maybe a hundred morning buoys. We have been told several times that the protocol in the harbor is to take any open buoy (no fee, no harbor master, just take a buoy). We look for the dirtiest ones since they are likely the least used.

The nice Town dock is really an overstatement. It's maybe a 50 ft pier with a t-head on the end and a floating dinghy dock behind it. At high tide you can get 7 ft of draft close enough to the pier to jump, but you should have no problem with your boat.

Oh!!! Ok. Now I know where you mean.

It looks like they installed some pilings to prevent me from doing this lol. If you look at the only place you could pull a crane into, there are pilings in there so I can’t get the boat in there.

Looking at the dock, I assume it’s about the width of a highway lane or road? Maybe a little wider. My boat is over two highway lanes wide. So I don’t think I can get in there tight enough to be able to get a crane to reach me.

Unless it reaches over that water to the outer dock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7045515F-7CAD-4BE3-BB41-EDFD26CE44BC.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	279671  
Old 17-08-2023, 07:50   #67

Solved!!!

I found a place I can do this on land. Finally!

The secret was to stop looking at marinas because they suck.

I have it all set up with a regular working type person who has a crane by the water.

I will stop by, we will pull the mast. We will put it on the sawhorses. I will anchor about a mile and a half away. I will take the dinghy and each day to go work on the mast. Then I will come back and we will step it.

The rigging appears to be all me now. So I’m going to have plenty of additional questions I’m sure in the standing rigging thread
Old 17-08-2023, 12:52   #68

Boat: Lagoon 380

I worked from a crane hook one time in Nice. Putting on a crazy big antenna. Only trick was wave action that affected the boat but not me. And wind action that affected me but not the boat. And find a crane operator that speaks same language as you. I failed on that too. [emoji43]
team karst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2023, 13:21   #69

Boat: 1975 Isander 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoldbilbo View Post
Aw shucks!

I'm sure, young Chotu, you'd enjoy the master Brion Toss's Kindle e-book 'Falling'.
It is short - around 60 pages - and is available via Amazon for around $4.50 AIR.

Why don't you read Toss's 'Complete Rigger's Apprentice' first which has a full on 'how to setup up for working aloft' section including how to rig your bucket, custom tools, etc.
skkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2023, 14:37   #70

Well, 'what might an answer to that question look like'.... to paraphrase Francis de Loyola.

A gentle answer might include the suggestion that 'Complete Rigger's Apprentice' addresses much of the techniques that an Apprentice might need to learn, on his path towards Journeyman status.

Brion's 'Falling' might be viewed as being more closely related to the signposts that punctuate The Way.... or, in another language, El Camino.
notoldbilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2023, 15:56   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkeith View Post
Why don't you read Toss's 'Complete Rigger's Apprentice' first which has a full on 'how to setup up for working aloft' section including how to rig your bucket, custom tools, etc.
I suppose because I won’t be working aloft and it won’t address any of my rigging issues.

Probably one of the only things I’m going to get out of that book would be some instructions on how to do the single stalock. The rest of the tricky stuff is the dyneema.

And I’m pretty sure the book isn’t going to explain how to get out to the end of a cantilevered mast.

So it’s just not applicable to the situation, which has, by the way, been solved as can be seen on this very page
Old 17-08-2023, 16:10   #72

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Solved!!!

I found a place I can do this on land. Finally!

The secret was to stop looking at marinas because they suck.

I have it all set up with a regular working type person who has a crane by the water.

I will stop by, we will pull the mast. We will put it on the sawhorses. I will anchor about a mile and a half away. I will take the dinghy and each day to go work on the mast. Then I will come back and we will step it.

The rigging appears to be all me now. So I’m going to have plenty of additional questions I’m sure in the standing rigging thread

Awesome, glad you found a spot.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 13:18   #73

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Oh!!! Ok. Now I know where you mean.

It looks like they installed some pilings to prevent me from doing this lol. If you look at the only place you could pull a crane into, there are pilings in there so I can’t get the boat in there.

Looking at the dock, I assume it’s about the width of a highway lane or road? Maybe a little wider. My boat is over two highway lanes wide. So I don’t think I can get in there tight enough to be able to get a crane to reach me.

Unless it reaches over that water to the outer dock.
Yup, that was the one. You'll never get a crane there, but you might have been able to park the boat with the mast over the dock.

But you've solved your issue. At least this one. Don't worry, in the words of my late father, "the boat lies awake at night, figuring out how to get you next time."
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 13:21   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Yup, that was the one. You'll never get a crane there, but you might have been able to park the boat with the mast over the dock.

But you've solved your issue. At least this one. Don't worry, in the words of my late father, "the boat lies awake at night, figuring out how to get you next time."
Ha ha ha ha!

He was a wise man!