Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2015, 15:18   #31

Re: 2015 bahamas gun check-in update

Thanks Natraps116,
It is nice to see someone post what actually happened to them and not the same story about the machine gun armed guy that boarded the boat to straighten the seat cushions and accidently shot the guy 14 times when the owner came out with a shotgun.
tdominic_97 is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 15:28   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanson1 View Post
I just posted my opinion about weapons and what is below my writings a friggin advertisement for NRA.
But did you join up?

I guess adblocker plus does/did the trick for me.
Robin3 is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 15:34   #33

Boat: 1985 Whitby Alberg 37 - "Lazy Gecko"

Thanks for the update! We are right behind you, we will carry a few Glocks onboard. Very interested how it goes.
Lazy Geckos is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 15:52   #34

It's amazing how the myth of American's and their guns is believed around the world. The great majority of American households (68%) have NO guns - this includes hunting guns and great grandpas's rifle from WWI.

I suspect without any proof other than talking to fellow cruisers that the percentage of US boats with guns is even lower than ashore as fishing rods are more usful.

But the small minority like the OP do us a great service. Just fly an American flag on your stern. Any bad guys will assume you have artillery onboard and stay away
CarlF is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 15:53   #35
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
Maybe it was a Bahamas law enforcement vessel and they had better things to do that than mess with yet another gun crazy Miami cowboy boat? or maybe they just saw something on radar but not visible and wanted to know what it was ? Why is the first answer always that it is someone with evil intent?
Oh, come on, now... Everyone knows the SOP of bad guys with evil intentions in remote places is to first shine a high powered searchlight on their target from a considerable distance, thus eliminating any element of surprise, and pinpointing their precise location...

I dunno, kinda sounds like something that might have been pre-arranged or staged to impress a boatload of charter guests, to me...

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
Actually, no offense, but how many talk big about their guns and don't get past "Chicken Harbor"?
Fatty Goodlander wrote this after his first circumnavigation... (He's now about halfway through his third.)

Quote:

Since I’m often accused of ‘…only telling the good parts of sailing offshore,’ I’ll take this literary opportunity to mention some of the things, mostly fairly minor, which turned us off.

GUNS: The saddest thing we experienced during our circumnavigation was arriving back in the Lesser Antilles and listening to American yachtsmen endlessly discussing guns.

Guns, guns, guns!

We don’t carry a gun. We don’t like guns. And we certainly don’t want to spend the rest of our lives talking about them.

If you carry a gun aboard your boat, fine. I don’t begrudge you your choice at all. I respect it.

However, how in the HELL did guns and piracy become the main topic of conversation on Hog Island, in Chagaramus or at Foxy’s?

The most ironic aspect of ‘the gun issue’ is that few circumnavigators in the Malacca Straits, South China Sea, Madagascar or Africa ever talk about guns.

Bad Marine Trends: Here, There and Everywhere - ALL AT SEA
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 16:25   #36

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

If the OP is indeed heading out on a circumnav w/guns aboard, make sure you bypass Mexico entirely (see its laws on simply showing up with a gun or ammunition, both are illegal and will put you in jail), and should research Panamanian gun laws before showing up in Colon for canal transit. You could be there for a while.
JayCall is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 17:48   #37

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Keep in mind what happens if you use that weapon and injure or kill someone. The rest of the world isn't Florida, where, after being told to not get out of the car, you do, then confront someone, shoot and kill him, and be found not guilty because you were in fear of your life. Out of this country you just go to jail, and you stay there for a long time before everything is sorted out to even go to trial. Your only out would be huge public support from out of the country, and a very large bond payment, which you will never see again, nor will the country it happened in, ever see you again. And the boat, well by the time you get to send someone to retrieve it, all that will be left would be a hull.
keepondancin is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 18:20   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Hi fellow gun owners, <snip>

Good luck and be safe everyone!

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Hello,

I'd like to thank you for this post. The lack of understanding about the problems encountered is detrimental to my decision to carrying firearms.

I hope all rolls well,

Kindest,

Sundae
Old 21-03-2015, 18:40   #39

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Quote:
Anchored off Dominica, after dark, hear someone climbing on the boat. A young guy, maybe 12-14 climbed on board. Went out with my 1,000,000KW spot light, and he said "Mister, Oscar wants you to come to shore, the fishermen came in and they have fish.. You asked first, so you get first fish". Glad I wasn't a paranoid gun toting cowboy. Anchored of Margarita, in Venezuela, a cruiser hears someone on the deck, comes out with a shotgun, cocks it, and gets blown away by an automatic weapon. A friend anchored on the north coast of the DR, stopped without clearance to be there. Had some sort of military gun. La Guardia Costa came on board, demanded any weapons, and proceeded to wave it around, shot off a bunch of ammo, demanded "a gift", and left. When they arrived in the BVI, they had a hard time convincing Customs where the ammo went. They had a count from the DR, and it was different on arrival in Tortola. A cruiser had a stainless steel shotgun in Luperon, had to surrender it. When getting ready to leave, the Navy carried it down to the wharf, and gave it back when he got in his dinghy. He felt like the Pied Piper with everyone following him to the dock. Was very concerned all night that someone might come aboard to try to get the gun. He did deep six it down Island, wasn't worth the hassel. It is frightening all the yahoos that are going cruising with guns to "Defend themselves". Probably took all those ASA courses to learn how to cruise, but never once took a lesson on weapon use for self defense. Actually, no offense, but how many talk big about their guns and don't get past "Chicken Harbor"?
Me thinks these are mostly armchair sailors who sail in the far reaches of their iminagition.
Tingum is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 19:06   #40

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

All the people who don't own guns and aren't planning on cruising with guns, stop commenting. This thread is not for you. So please shut up,and if you want to discuss gun culture ofr the pros and cons go over to a Mayor Bloomberg anti gun site and rant...

I made this thread to help people who have already decided to have guns aboard but want first hand experience with the process. Not hear say from people that just repeat horror stories.

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 19:15   #41

Thumbs up Re: 2015 bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
All the people who don't own guns and aren't planning on cruising with guns, stop commenting. This thread is not for you. <snip>

Hello,

I figured some flack would fly on a thread such as this but your experiences and information could be vital to my decisions about places to visit. For full disclosure, I have neither the yacht of my own or plans to sail away from American waters; whether Mr. Mossberg joins me on distant excursions depends on getting reliable information about my options.

Than you for sharing yours.

Kindest,

Sundae
Old 21-03-2015, 19:19   #42

Quote:
All the people who don't own guns and aren't planning on cruising with guns, stop commenting. This thread is not for you. So please shut up,and if you want to discuss gun culture ofr the pros and cons go over to a Mayor Bloomberg anti gun site and rant...

I made this thread to help people who have already decided to have guns aboard but want first hand experience with the process. Not hear say from people that just repeat horror stories.

Again, we 100% support your "smart" decision to be armed! Looking forward to your continued updates. Hope you keep posting. Oh, and again, you made an excellent choice of weapons to keep on board. Been a gun owner, and user, my whole life. You won't catch me & my wife on the high seas unarmed. No f'n way!

Don't pay any attention to the idiot armchair sailors. Sailors? Sissies? I don't know what they are. Whatever, all's well that ends well, until it doesn't end well. Be armed, or be at the mercy of. The latter? No thanks! Friends with those that even think the latter? No thanks.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 19:45   #43

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Me thinks these are mostly armchair sailors who sail in the far reaches of their iminagition.
Me thinks my 10 years in the Caribbean on my Crealock 37 were the best years of my life. Was there for all of the events, except Margarita, but was in Puerto LaCruz when it happened. Was also in Bequia when the Water Taxi driver was killed, and the American women, who was known and seen carrying a gun the same as what the driver was killed with, and was seen in the bar down by Elizabeth Beach with him, the night before he washed up on the beach, was in jail with her husband, and after a huge outcry, including a segment on Nightline, (it was awhile ago), her wealthy family was allowed to post bond. The boat was left behind. I didn't have an armchair on my boat, it was too small.
keepondancin is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 20:34   #44

Quote:
Me thinks my 10 years in the Caribbean on my Crealock 37 were the best years of my life. Was there for all of the events, except Margarita, but was in Puerto LaCruz when it happened. Was also in Bequia when the Water Taxi driver was killed, and the American women, who was known and seen carrying a gun the same as what the driver was killed with, and was seen in the bar down by Elizabeth Beach with him, the night before he washed up on the beach, was in jail with her husband, and after a huge outcry, including a segment on Nightline, (it was awhile ago), her wealthy family was allowed to post bond. The boat was left behind. I didn't have an armchair on my boat, it was too small.
The OP clearly stated that he and his wife are circumnavigating. Thus, his post is about being armed on "today's" high seas, with a general update about the Bahamas. It is not a post about day sailors bopping over from Florida for a few gentle nights anchored off Andros Island, or safely sipping cocktails in Nassau.

The last time I was in the Bahamas was back in '68, well before the cocaine / Miami Vice years and today's violent pirate-infested terrorist general bad guy world climate. I can tell you first hand that the Bahamas was a much different place back then, not that it is now overly dangerous in any way. But, why not be prepared? The Boy Scouts always are.

With that aside, for those who wish to circumnavigate unarmed, including the safe and sunny Caribbean Sea, please have at it. It's your boat, your wife, and your life. Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20.

Thanks again to the OP for this interesting thread.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 20:35   #45
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post

Don't pay any attention to the idiot armchair sailors. Sailors? Sissies? I don't know what they are.
Well, at least you got that right...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas