Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2015, 10:20   #16
Eternal Member

Re: 2015 bahamas gun check-in update

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post

First of all we have a shotgun, a semi automatic magazine fed rifle, and a handgun. The customs agent said Welcome to bahamas! we just need to check your firearms and you'll be on your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post

I've never had Bahamas customs check my guns, but I did have a young Bahamian Customs girl question why I carry a 50 caliper Desert Eagle...
Intersting that in neither case, is there any mention made of the 'Special Permit' required to possess a handgun in the Bahamas...

Have Bahamian customs officials really gotten that lax about the enforcement of their country's laws and regulations?

Perhaps even more surprising, might be the apparent lack of interest in collecting the not insignificant fee for said license?

:-)

Quote:

In the Bahamas, private possession of handguns (pistols and revolvers) is only permitted subject to stringent conditions23 36

Bahamas. 1969. ‘Introduction and Possession of Revolvers Only Under Special Licence.’ Firearms Act, Chapter 213, 1969; Part II (Section 4). Nassau: Government of the Bahamas. 17 July.

4. (1) Subject to the provisions of sections 6, 43 and 44 of this Act, no person
shall introduce into The Bahamas or possess any revolver unless he shall have obtained a special licence in the prescribed form from the Licensing Authority authorising him to introduce or possess the same.

(2) The grant or refusal of a special licence under the provisions of this section shall be at the discretion of the Licensing Authority and every such special licence shall be issued subject to such conditions and restrictions as he may deem fit.

(5) There shall be payable upon issue of a special licence under the provisions of this section a fee of such amount as may be prescribed.
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 11:08   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
A couple of updated answers for when people ask "Why do you carry a gun?"

I carry a gun because:

-A cop is too heavy.

-When seconds count, a cop is just minutes away.

Good choice or weapons, I might want a longer range rifle like an M1A with a 30 rd. magazine stacked with every third round a tracer, as well. I would think a few tracers across the pow of a suspicious fast approaching vessel might make them alter course.

What scares me is that if they board at night then you are trapped in the boat with no way out. For those who are aware, fiberglass does not stop high powered rifle bullets. I thought a pair of Claymores strapped to the mast, one pointed fore, one aft, and able to be triggered from with in, would pretty well clear the deck and give you a chance to come out firing. It may trash the deck but you can replace that. You could have them covered nicely in fiberglass to avoid suspicion.

Thoughts
On another subject. I have "Driveway Alarms" on board for remote anchoring. They only cost $15 each and I put one on all four sides of the boat, stuck to velcro. You can set them for 100' or 150' and when something breaks that perimeter it "ding dongs" you in your stateroom. A cheap early warning devise.
timbenner is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 11:13   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Good point about the long range rifle, if you have room. A lot of us have radar, so good chance you'll see them coming at a substantial distance.

If the dead crew of the "Quest" would have had a long range rifle, those Somali animals would not have gotten close to them. Would have been a different out come.
timbenner is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 11:19   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
On another subject. I have "Driveway Alarms" on board for remote anchoring. They only cost $15 each and I put one on all four sides of the boat, stuck to velcro. You can set them for 100' or 150' and when something breaks that perimeter it "ding dongs" you in your stateroom. A cheap early warning devise.
Thanks for the tip.
SniperSailor is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 11:52   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

It is way too dangerous out there so I think will stay at home instead or go by cruise liner or 747.
Robin3 is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 11:52   #21

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

You're REALLY discussing Claymores on deck? Really?
RichandHelen is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 11:56   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
You're REALLY discussing Claymores on deck? Really?
Just a thought. It would be nice to have a way to clear the deck before having to exit.

I hadnt thought of the possibility of a lightening strike.
Old 21-03-2015, 12:24   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSailor View Post
But good point on the lightening strike. What happens normally on a strike?
There IS no "normal." That's the "normal" answer.

But type in (the incorrectly spelled) lightENing or the proper lightning in any boating forum. Since 86.4% of people spell it wrong, you'll get lots of hits (pi).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 12:29   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
There IS no "normal." That's the "normal" answer.

But type in (the incorrectly spelled) lightENing or the proper lightning in any boating forum. Since 86.4% of people spell it wrong, you'll get lots of hits (pi).
Correction acknowledged.

I dont see a way to do that (type in lightning strikes) on this forum.
Old 21-03-2015, 13:04   #25

Boat: Morgan 33 Out Island

Jon, thanks for the written regulations. I love this one in particular:

4. (1) Subject to the provisions of sections 6, 43 and 44 of this Act, no person
shall introduce into The Bahamas or possess any revolver unless he shall have obtained a special licence in the prescribed form from the Licensing Authority authorising him to introduce or possess the same.

From the way it reads, my .357 Magnum over & under derringer would be perfectly legal there. It's definitely not a revolver!

Gary
Travlin-Easy is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 13:19   #26

I just left the Bahamas a few days ago after being there for2 months.
I can not understand the reason for taking any weapon there. As a Canadian it is to difficult to have a firearm to start with and with some research into ways to protect yourself when cruising most criminal offences against cruisers can be avoided.
Several weeks ago I out lined some ways to make it difficult for an intruder even to get on your boat plus ways to protect yourself without firearms. I have been boarded by Bahamian defence force, and USCG. When they ask if I have any weapons I reply Canadians do not generally carry weapons. The reply has been from both groups "yes we have heard this statement before" and no firearm were found.
Are all of you who carry weapons on you vessel trained to identify a boat that has criminal intent towards you and your crew members/family onboard. Can you tell the difference between people who are racing around at night time on their boats drunk and noisy but have no intention of boarding your vessel. If you feel that you are in need of a firearm maybe stay away from these areas instead of placing yourself and others in dangerous situations.
In 2012 there were almost 15,000 murders in the USA. In 2013 & 2014 the number of murders in the USA is about the same. I bring this up not because the USA has a large amount of murders but to point out that I have been in the USA for 6 months every year both driving and cruising and have never had any type of incident happen to me. I carry nothing in the way of self protection and I have travelled to more than 50 different countries including a period of time in Venezuela which has never been a safe place in the last 30 years.
Leave on your cruises with knowledge and workable plans to deal with dangerous events and leave the weapons locked up at home.
chanson1 is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 13:28   #27

I just posted my opinion about weapons and what is below my writings a friggin advertisement for NRA.
chanson1 is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 13:30   #28

I was among 17 people aboard a 65-foot ketch on a weeklong bareboat cruise in the Berry Islands area of the Bahamas many years ago. One night, another vessel suddenly aimed a strong spotlight at our vessel. Gene Baird, captain of the Miami-based boat, went below and emerged with an automatic rifle of some sort. With both hands, he held it above his head. The light went out, the boat turned away.
RedRider is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 14:33   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRider View Post
I was among 17 people aboard a 65-foot ketch on a weeklong bareboat cruise in the Berry Islands area of the Bahamas many years ago. One night, another vessel suddenly aimed a strong spotlight at our vessel. Gene Baird, captain of the Miami-based boat, went below and emerged with an automatic rifle of some sort. With both hands, he held it above his head. The light went out, the boat turned away.
Maybe it was a Bahamas law enforcement vessel and they had better things to do that than mess with yet another gun crazy Miami cowboy boat? or maybe they just saw something on radar but not visible and wanted to know what it was ? Why is the first answer always that it is someone with evil intent?
Robin3 is offline   Reply
Old 21-03-2015, 15:00   #30

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Anchored off Dominica, after dark, hear someone climbing on the boat. A young guy, maybe 12-14 climbed on board. Went out with my 1,000,000KW spot light, and he said "Mister, Oscar wants you to come to shore, the fishermen came in and they have fish.. You asked first, so you get first fish". Glad I wasn't a paranoid gun toting cowboy. Anchored of Margarita, in Venezuela, a cruiser hears someone on the deck, comes out with a shotgun, cocks it, and gets blown away by an automatic weapon. A friend anchored on the north coast of the DR, stopped without clearance to be there. Had some sort of military gun. La Guardia Costa came on board, demanded any weapons, and proceeded to wave it around, shot off a bunch of ammo, demanded "a gift", and left. When they arrived in the BVI, they had a hard time convincing Customs where the ammo went. They had a count from the DR, and it was different on arrival in Tortola. A cruiser had a stainless steel shotgun in Luperon, had to surrender it. When getting ready to leave, the Navy carried it down to the wharf, and gave it back when he got in his dinghy. He felt like the Pied Piper with everyone following him to the dock. Was very concerned all night that someone might come aboard to try to get the gun. He did deep six it down Island, wasn't worth the hassel. It is frightening all the yahoos that are going cruising with guns to "Defend themselves". Probably took all those ASA courses to learn how to cruise, but never once took a lesson on weapon use for self defense. Actually, no offense, but how many talk big about their guns and don't get past "Chicken Harbor"?
keepondancin is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas