Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 16:30   #1

Boat: Jensen 37
Wirie Pro

Our wirie pro has needed rebooting when ever we went in and out of a service area or dropped to 3G since installed. It now will not even hook up on 4g

I have a asked for help from them but they just refuse to admit the issues exist.

Quite a number of wirie pro users in Aust report the same problem/issues and many have given up and replaced with a unit that works

Has anyone figured out what causes the need for wirie pro to reboot so often?

I can not justify wasting a thousand dollars on a useless wifi system that had great reviews online but maybe they are just marketing spoof.

By the way
our cell. Phone is on same company as sim in Wirie.
Cell phone good coverage wirie will not hook up at 85% 4g.
Old 31-03-2018, 02:26   #2

Re: Wirie Pro

Our Wirie Pro which has been intermittent since install 6 months ago has decided to refuse to work at all now.

Whilst we don’t really have the money to replace the expensive plastic box, we will have too as sailing with nothin but cell phones is not an option.
Can anyone recommend a unit that does work and the Company that sell it will provide service if unit does not work?
Old 31-03-2018, 04:30   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

What functionality do you need?

If just a router that supports cellular (3G etc...) then you can pick those up very inexpensively. I have a TPLINK nano router aboard, $25, runs off USB 5v, works fine.
Old 31-03-2018, 07:16   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
What functionality do you need?

If just a router that supports cellular (3G etc...) then you can pick those up very inexpensively. I have a TPLINK nano router aboard, $25, runs off USB 5v, works fine.
I believe they are looking for the booster functionality as well.

On our boat we use 3 devices to get that functionality.

First our long range WIFI
1. Ubiquiti Bullet
2. TPLink WIFI router (powered directly on 12V)

This combination provides us the booster capability but also allows a local WIFI network aboard. We choose to put the Bullet up or not.

Second our cellular device.
- Huawei E5776 unlocked world device

This provides us a cellular MIFI service. It can be independant of the TPLink (usually to keep the kids off), or I can connect them. So far this device has provided service in all the islands we have visited (as long as we buy a SIM). We also have an unpowered antenna that we attach if we are anchored WAY out. Lately we have been using this exclusively as French Digicel has a 40GB deal for all the Caribean islands ($54 euro). Pretty tough to beat that deal (GoogleFi doesn't come close).

Works well for us and cost less than 1/2 a Wirie Pro.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I believe they are looking for the booster functionality as well.

On our boat we use 3 devices to get that functionality.

First our long range WIFI
1. Ubiquiti Bullet
2. TPLink WIFI router (powered directly on 12V)

This combination provides us the booster capability but also allows a local WIFI network aboard. We choose to put the Bullet up or not.

Second our cellular device.
- Huawei E5776 unlocked world device

This provides us a cellular MIFI service. It can be independant of the TPLink (usually to keep the kids off), or I can connect them. So far this device has provided service in all the islands we have visited (as long as we buy a SIM). We also have an unpowered antenna that we attach if we are anchored WAY out. Lately we have been using this exclusively as French Digicel has a 40GB deal for all the Caribean islands ($54 euro). Pretty tough to beat that deal (GoogleFi doesn't come close).

Works well for us and cost less than 1/2 a Wirie Pro.
We run a similar config: TPLINK MR3020 (lots of functionality in a nano package, USB 5V DC power driven) and an older Wilson cell booster (Smart Tech III , 12V DC powered that it steps down to 6V). Works well for our purposes...here in Chicheme San Blas now posting this.

Total cost about half of the Wirie also. I looked at the Wirie specs and it seems crazy over priced for what it does, but you get to choose desinger colors! [emoji6]
Old 01-04-2018, 09:00   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I’ve not had a lot of problems with our Wiri Pro. When in a very crowded environment it can get confused. Help has always been very good and quick.

The bigger problem I have is finding open WiFi signals.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:04   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
We run a similar config: TPLINK MR3020 (lots of functionality in a nano package, USB 5V DC power driven) and an older Wilson cell booster (Smart Tech III , 12V DC powered that it steps down to 6V). Works well for our purposes...here in Chicheme San Blas now posting this.

Total cost about half of the Wirie also. I looked at the Wirie specs and it seems crazy over priced for what it does, but you get to choose desinger colors! [emoji6]
I believe with the Wirie, you're paying for the turn-key solution and for the support, which is worth its weight in gold for some people.

Like you, I separate these functions.

I've used the Bullet and now am using the Routerboard Groove (because it will do 5ghz as well as 2.4). I have this fixed mounted on a spreader with waterproof Cat 6 cable run down the mast and to the nav table. I'm not finding the wifi booster to be as important any more since almost all marinas in Northern Europe have upgraded to really good commercial wifi systems, which are much easier to connect to. I use a TPLink 1200AC USB wifi adapter most of the time.

For mobile phone data, I have a variety of devices, some with external antennas. A Huawei B583 with a more serious ethernet enabled router sometimes, or a Huawei battery powered MiFi device which is more convenient, and can be sent up the mast in a plastic bag in case height is needed for a weak signal. But I use these less and less, and now more and more just use my regular mobile phone.

Because everything is continuously changing, I would not personally want to be heavily invested in a single system. I regret already installing cabling and a bracket on a spreader for a heavy duty 3G mobile phone data terminal with sector antennas which I intended to install, and then became obsolete before I get get the mast back up. In fact it's extremely rare that I really need a mobile phone data connection when there is a marginal signal -- usually it's either plenty for any device, or it's over the horizon and gone. The marginal in between -- which is what you need an improved device for -- is just too small an area of ocean to be worth spending so much money for.

YMMV.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 01-04-2018, 10:13   #8

Boat: Stevens 47

We have the Wirie AP+. It is now over 3 years old. Two years ago, I had issues with it...called for help, the tech helped me via email over 8 hours on a Saturday...with no luck. Dang....I decided to open up the blue plastic box...and was met with a gush of water...wow! Disconnected all the wirie, let it dry for a day in the Caribbean heat, plugged everything back in, closed the box....and it worked! It friggin' worked for another full year.....when sadly, it did finally die. I sent it back, and for 135 dollars it was replaced, and we have been rolling along business as usual.

Love the Wirie AP+, and I really enjoy the follow up that we have received so far from Wirie!
Old 01-04-2018, 11:31   #9

Good to hear there are positive experiences with Wirie support too.
Old 01-04-2018, 22:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
We have the Wirie AP+. It is now over 3 years old. Two years ago, I had issues with it...called for help, the tech helped me via email over 8 hours on a Saturday...with no luck. Dang....I decided to open up the blue plastic box...and was met with a gush of water...wow! Disconnected all the wirie, let it dry for a day in the Caribbean heat, plugged everything back in, closed the box....and it worked! It friggin' worked for another full year.....when sadly, it did finally die. I sent it back, and for 135 dollars it was replaced, and we have been rolling along business as usual.

Love the Wirie AP+, and I really enjoy the follow up that we have received so far from Wirie!
So you had to pay again for a Two year old unit to be replaced?
Old 01-04-2018, 23:48   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobweb View Post
So you had to pay again for a Two year old unit to be replaced?
No. He had a unit that needed replacing because it had been immersed in water. Im impressed it continued to work for one year while the components degraded.

Is this a case of denying the facts in the light of your prejudice?
Old 02-04-2018, 15:06   #12

Sorry
Might be alittle predijed due to absolute lack of assistance from Wirie with ours

But was a little shocked that you had to pay to replace a unit that should last a lot longer than two years
Old 02-04-2018, 15:38   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobweb View Post
Sorry
Might be alittle predijed due to absolute lack of assistance from Wirie with ours

But was a little shocked that you had to pay to replace a unit that should last a lot longer than two years
I dont understand. The unit got wet.. how was not stated... NO COMPANY will replace a unit outside of the terms of the warranty.. This is normal and not wrong....

My oven went faulty.. I used it with water in it to steam things... It stopped working.. It was replaced for a reduced fee and told NOT to go against the terms of the warranty...ie dont use water.

Thats the reality.. Is not Wiries fault in this instance. Why should they have to be responsible? If you have a gripe, state it and stick to the facts.... Dont insinuate the company is bad on every front... lets deal with your observed and personal dealings with them only.

I can ask for and publish the email correspondence between you and the company if you want. Im sure both sides would give a more defined picture of the differences.. and your position might not be as clear cut as you hope.

Communication is always the problem... it went wrong in expectation and reality here... Do you want it sorted or do you want what you think you are entitled to regardless of facts?

In 30 years of dealing with issues, only one company turned out to be all bad... the right approach and the right willingness to sort out the issues has always worked for me...
Old 10-04-2018, 20:12   #14

Update

we got it working for 4 days!!!!, Yay, but then we moved anchorages. must have upset the Wirie gods because,

we are anchored within sight of a cell tower now but once again no Wirie hook up.

Oh Well

Oh well
Old 22-04-2018, 12:33   #15

Boat: Fountain Pajot Helia 2017

I too just bought a WiriePro this past January. I had really high hopes and am not tech savvy so expected this to be as advertised..... easy to use out of the box. It did not come with instructions. We have had nothing but troubles. We did send it back and exchanged for a new one. We had it professionally installed. It won't connect with WIFI or our sim. We have two exact same SIM cards. Our phone hooks up every time with great service. WiriePro not. To makes matters worse the customer service is terrible. Yes he may answer emails or phone calls, but with such arrogance, condescension, patronizing attitude that I start to quake like I did when in jr. school. One should not be afraid to ask for just a little instruction.
I agree that one has to reset it so frequently, that I actually set it to its own breaker switch easy on/ easy off. If I knew how to set up another option I would so fast and sell this one to anyone who wants it or it will be used as a drogue. http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/...s/banghead.gifhttp://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lies/trash.gif
Closed Thread