Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2019, 20:51   #1

Boat: Tayana 37, Farallon 25, Tahiti 16
Winlink cable to ICom 710 SSB

I am a FCC License ham and have an icom 710 ssb that I would like to use with Winlink. I am looking for a recommendation on which cable to use to hook up my computer. I have the 9 pin remote plug and the Acc 1 that is a 8 pin and the Acc 2 that is a 7 pin. I would think that one of those will work with a USB on the other end. Looking on line I found lots of companies selling cables and am wondering if some are better than others. If you know what cable would work best please share! Thank you.
Rearsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 21:22   #2

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: Winlink cable to ICom 710 SSB

If you are going to use the audio ports on your laptop then you would connect to the 710's audio inputs like the external speaker and microphone. However, if you plan on using an external USB sound card such as the Signalink then you will need whatever connectors the radio wants.

Which option do you wish to use? Internal sound card or external sound card?
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 21:48   #3

I am using the external speaker already for an external speaker. I want to use Winlink to get grib files for weather routing and be able to send and hopefully receive Emails during a planned Pacific crossing. If need be, I can maybe use a splitter on my external speaker. Bottom line is that I do not know enough about Winlink to answer your question but please take pittey one me and help me out!
Old 16-09-2019, 06:53   #4

By using an external sound card like the Signalink, you can connect directly to the 8-pin accessory port. This will allow the radio to be used normally without having to move cables. The Singalink has adjustable in/out controls. It is programmable via internal jumpers for the radio you use. You can also order the correct cable -TIG-SL-CAB9PD - for the radio. Info can be found here.

I use the Signalink on my Icom IC-707. It uses the same cable. When you look at the PDF linked you will see the radios that are compatible with that cable. So if you want to try using your internal sound card, look for a compatible radio cable that matches the one from Signalink (except with the appropriate PC connectors and not USB). Some Laptops do not have enough umph on the audio in/out to work directly with the radio. I have a Sony Laptop that has no umph and needed the Singnalink external sound card.
Old 16-09-2019, 07:21   #5

Thanks Brian, If it works for you it should work for me as well. You gave me what I was hoping to find. I will get the same cable as you are using. Thanks again and fair winds!
Old 16-09-2019, 08:12   #6

Don't get discouraged if it fails to work the first time. You will need to play with levels and configurations with both the PC, Winlink software configuration, and Signalink levels (if you go the Signalink route). Just be patient and keep notes so you don't end up repeating yourself.

Good luck

A sidenote: if you go with a splitter from the external speaker, the front panel volume will control the signal level in the PC. Therefore, if you fine the noise annoying and turn it down you will eventually kill the usable signal level between the radio and the Winlink RX function.

Another sidenote: The signal coming into the computer is controlled by the record function. If you have a modern (win 7/8/8.1/10) system you might not be able to control that function. I had to find a standalone record level control for the levels to be adjustable. Like I said, just be patient.
Old 16-09-2019, 09:15   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
I am a FCC License ham and have an icom 710 ssb that I would like to use with Winlink. I am looking for a recommendation on which cable to use to hook up my computer. I have the 9 pin remote plug and the Acc 1 that is a 8 pin and the Acc 2 that is a 7 pin. I would think that one of those will work with a USB on the other end. Looking on line I found lots of companies selling cables and am wondering if some are better than others. If you know what cable would work best please share! Thank you.
Neither of these will work with a "USB on the other end".

First, a basic question. Are you trying to use WINMOR or a PTC modem?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 12:48   #8

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Neither of these will work with a "USB on the other end".

First, a basic question. Are you trying to use WINMOR or a PTC modem?
Yes that is the basic question for the OP. In our case I use a Pactor modem. It is an older PTCII-E that has a serial port connector. Kenwood TS-180 tranceiver has a 12 pin accessory connector on the back. Laptop has USB. To connect all that I also use a serial to USB adaptor box and completely homemade cables were required. Not a big deal if you can read the pinouts and do the soldering.

I hope the OP can find an off the shelf solution.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 19:46   #9

I am going to try using Winlink.
Old 16-09-2019, 20:21   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rearsteer View Post
I am going to try using Winlink.
You still did not answer the basic question: Are you trying to use the soundcard option known as WINMOR or are you trying to use a PTC II modem?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 10:28   #11

I just ordered a Signalink SLUSB8PD that comes with all the cables. Thank you Dave for pointing me in the right direction. Plugs right into my laptop via USB port. Cool stuff. I have found my SSB to be very helpful and now with my ham licence it will be even more so.
Old 17-09-2019, 17:34   #12

Thank you to the others that tried helping me. This stuff is new to me so I did not answer your question right. The external sound card that I ordered will hopefully let my PC talk to Winlink over my SSB.
Old 22-09-2019, 19:19   #13

Watching the videos on the Winlink site, it is suggested to use a cable from the com port to a USB hub. This is for ham radio deluxe control. Is this cable helpful and or needed. It looks like it may only be needed for windmore software. I was going to try using the program from the Winlink web sight.
Old 23-09-2019, 07:48   #14

The cable you received is for the data in/out. This cable should also control the keying of the radio. The other cable mentioned is for changing frequencies. You can do that manually instead of letting Winlink change the frequencies.

To put it a different way, when you select a station to connect to, Winlink will select that station's frequency and tell the radio to change. If you have configured Winlink to do that, that is. Otherwise you will have to program the 710 to the frequencies that you know work. I think that would be better. With my Winlink, I have only three stations that are reliable; one in 80M, one in 40M, and one on 20M.

I would recommend first that you try finding reliable stations and put them in memory on the 710. Then, if you want to use more purchase the appropriate CAT cable with USB connector, program the COM port for CAT operations and put the rig in CAT mode (if there is such programming, I don't have or use a 710).

Again, patience. You will get it working.
Old 23-09-2019, 08:47   #15

Thanks Brian, I will try it as you say. Keep it as simple as I can, then get fancy later.

Tags
icom, ssb