Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2023, 14:20   #91
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: What's the Best Wind Sensor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating View Post
Did you end up getting it? I'm looking for an affordable replacement (ideally ultrasonic and nmea0183) for my airmar 100wx that just died.
Not yet, waiting for your review

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 11:53   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Not yet, waiting for your review [emoji3]
I'm considering the Calypso and the new maretron, but can't find reports from people who used them for more than a quick test so leaning towards the latter as it's a more reputable marine brand. Did you consider the maretron as well?

Sent from my SM-A225F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 15:12   #93

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
I'm considering the Calypso and the new maretron, but can't find reports from people who used them for more than a quick test so leaning towards the latter as it's a more reputable marine brand. Did you consider the maretron as well?
That seems an odd comparison: the Calypso is seemingly far more accurate than the Maretron for wind speed and direction. (Calypso: wind speed +/-1%, direction +/-1°, @ 22mph; Maretron speed +/-10%, direction +/-5°). This may be specsmanship as the Maretron rating seems to cover the stated range while Calypso is using a single speed that is likely to be at its best performance. Also, the Calypso transducer is specifically for wind, while Maretron is a weather transducer that includes temperature, relative humidity, and barometric pressure. Personally I think accuracy of wind direction, and to a lesser extent wind speed, trumps having the extra weather data (which would be desirable).

Maretron makes great N2K cabling systems, which I always recommend (I especially like their Multiport box for a clean and compact backbone installation). I have their original solid state compass, which works well. What I don't like is that they have limited means for firmware updates. My compass originally could be updated over either 0183 (with a Windows update app) or N2K but they dropped 0183 support and now require an N2K display that is compatible with their system (and yes, there is a firmware update available for my compass - just no way for me to do it). Looking at the new weather transducer's manual, even configuring requires one of the Maretron MFD displays (as expensive as the transducer) or their proprietary Windows software (about the same price but requires their proprietary N2K gateway - about the same price again). This is just wrong - I will not support with my money such expensive proprietary solutions that have no alternative. YMMV.

The Calypso product has a (free) downloadable app that uses a simple USB interface ($25) for UART and 0183. Their N2K wind instrument with N2K is not yet available so no info available for updating/configuring.

The larger point is to learn how you will configure and do firmware updates for any N2K device, before buying. And check for updating over 0183 (and hope that for dual interface devices the vendor won't pull 0183 support).

Data sheets:

Calypso - https://calypsoinstruments.com/web/content/72758

Maretron - https://www.maretron.com/products/pd...0Datasheet.pdf

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2023, 18:49   #94
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:

Sent from my SM-A225F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I have the Maretron… the old version and it isn’t good enough to run the autopilot in wind mode. So no, I don’t recommend it.

Also, I prefer to have NMEA0183 down the mast, then a converter inside the boat. I actually want to use a wireless converter to create galvanic isolation that can cooe with lightning strikes.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 02:23   #95

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

You might also consider LCJCapteurs
https://lcjcapteurs.com/en/
Excellent performance and good company to deal with. Lots of data output options.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 02:59   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
You might also consider LCJCapteurs
https://lcjcapteurs.com/en/
Excellent performance and good company to deal with. Lots of data output options.
Very happy indeed with my cv7, never gets turned off recording 24/7 into a raspberry pi.
barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind