Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 16:31   #31

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: What laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Sure thing.

My 'everything' was an overstatement.

Not everything. Say it will do most tasks: text/graphics editing, calculations, presentations, email, web access, etc.. Excellent choice unless a bigger hammer is required.

b.
Do you have any apps (approved or jailbreak) that will reliably work against MS-Office documents? With or without a network connection?

I've seen a jailbreak demo of Windows 3.1 running in a virtual machine on the iPhone, but the hardware in an iPad is insufficient (I think) to support a full usable VM. Again, though, the tech is rapidly changing so maybe this is available, or nearly so.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:23   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Do you have any apps (approved or jailbreak) that will reliably work against MS-Office documents? With or without a network connection?

I've seen a jailbreak demo of Windows 3.1 running in a virtual machine on the iPhone, but the hardware in an iPad is insufficient (I think) to support a full usable VM. (...)
But why would you use Windows applications on a Mac? Why not use Mac applications?

There are excellent text, graphics & video editors, spreadsheets and presentation programs for iPad, aren't there?

If you CAN'T do without Ms Office (I have been doing fine ever since 2003!) then this might cheer you up: Microsoft Office for the iPad: What We Know | PCWorld

Anyways, if one must use some specific application that is found only on Windows, then a Windows tablet could be the way to go. But then I would probably wait for one with Windows 8 later this year - Windows 7 on a tablet is a far cry from iPad and I feel actually not a match to an ICS slate either.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:56   #33

Quote:
But why would you use Windows applications on a Mac? Why not use Mac applications?
Many business applications are only available on Windows, some on Mac, and almost none on iPad
Quote:
There are excellent text, graphics & video editors, spreadsheets and presentation programs for iPad, aren't there?
Not to my knowledge. I've seen some poor ones which are not compatible with Office, and have no apparent means of exchanging data with Office.

Quote:
If you CAN'T do without Ms Office (I have been doing fine ever since 2003!) then this might cheer you up: Microsoft Office for the iPad: What We Know | PCWorld
We don't know the poster's business requirements. It'll be interesting to see how that Office implementation works out on the iPad. In the past, Apple has not provided any means of local storage for files other than movies, music, photos, etc. which are internally supported. This could make the iPad ineffective when off-network for business work.
Quote:
Anyways, if one must use some specific application that is found only on Windows, then a Windows tablet could be the way to go. But then I would probably wait for one with Windows 8 later this year - Windows 7 on a tablet is a far cry from iPad and I feel actually not a match to an ICS slate either.
b.
A Windows table might be a good option as well, but this is assuming the poster wants a tablet. He might prefer the laptop form factor. I haven't heard good things about Windows tablets, and don't know of even one person using one!
Old 12-07-2012, 18:00   #34

Boat: Liberty 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM

Neolex, are you able to use apps without an internet connection? Or are you connected full time?

IPads have severe limitations compared to laptops, the primary one being a complete lack of a user-definable filesystem (they have a filesystem, but do not provide a means of accessing it or using it for local data storage), except for the space allocated for movies, music, etc. You cannot, for example, save a Word document from the internet, or create local spreadsheets, or copy files to/from a thumbdrive, etc. They do not provide general printing capability, or the ability to copy data (including photos, movies and music) from any media except the internet.

Some of this may be changing in the future, and there might be some signs of that in current versions, but I have not seen any such moves yet, except by the Jailbreak community.

They cannot run any applications except those designed specifically for the IPad. You can remotely execute applications from the iPad, but only if you are connected to a high speed internet connection.
Dropbox alleviates most of these issues. Evernote is also good. Both sync and replicate to other devices. We have a policy of mastering all data on an SSD NAS that way losing a device doesn't impact us. We use android and apple tablets and smartphones and windows / linux dual boot laptops.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 18:04   #35

Quote:
Many business applications are only available on Windows, some on Mac, and almost none on iPad

Not to my knowledge. I've seen some poor ones which are not compatible with Office, and have no apparent means of exchanging data with Office.

We don't know the poster's business requirements. It'll be interesting to see how that Office implementation works out on the iPad. In the past, Apple has not provided any means of local storage for files other than movies, music, photos, etc. which are internally supported. This could make the iPad ineffective when off-network for business work.

A Windows table might be a good option as well, but this is assuming the poster wants a tablet. He might prefer the laptop form factor. I haven't heard good things about Windows tablets, and don't know of even one person using one!
Driving decisions based on MS Office will severely limit your options. Wikis, evernote, etc work better than office for ephemeral data. We sitched Office some teara ago in oir business and the savings in dollars, formatring and support reduced dramatically.
Old 12-07-2012, 18:09   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Dropbox alleviates most of these issues. Evernote is also good. Both sync and replicate to other devices. We have a policy of mastering all data on an SSD NAS that way losing a device doesn't impact us. We use android and apple tablets and smartphones and windows / linux dual boot laptops.
What apps are you using to support business functions? Is this system usable when not connected to the network. I.E. can you create new documents, or view cached documents while offline?

This is getting thinly relevant, but is good information for anyone who is trying to cruise-work with intermittent connectivity.
Old 12-07-2012, 19:17   #37

There is a lot of misinformation being spread here.

I have been using QuickOffice and DocsToGo on my iPhone for years to create and edit Word and Excel documents. The HD versions for iPad work even better. However, I prefer to use the full scale Office apps on my Mac whenever I can. But there have been many times when I had no immediate access to a computer, and the iPhone apps worked fine.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 19:24   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
I've seen a jailbreak demo of Windows 3.1 running in a virtual machine on the iPhone
WINDOWS 3.1....lordy, lordy...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 20:29   #39

Quote:

What apps are you using to support business functions? Is this system usable when not connected to the network. I.E. can you create new documents, or view cached documents while offline?

This is getting thinly relevant, but is good information for anyone who is trying to cruise-work with intermittent connectivity.
Yes to all. Online connection is only required to synchronise and replicate so speed of connection doesn't impact our ability to work.. All work can performed offline. Backups are also automated.

MS Office file formats are also binary, large and inefficient. A bit like driving a Model T Ford when a Corvette would be much nicer.
Old 12-07-2012, 21:29   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff

Yes to all. Online connection is only required to synchronise and replicate so speed of connection doesn't impact our ability to work.. All work can performed offline. Backups are also automated.

MS Office file formats are also binary, large and inefficient. A bit like driving a Model T Ford when a Corvette would be much nicer.
Forgot to add apps in use include:
- Evernote
- Dropbox
- numerous other engineering and scientific apps which have MS Office functionality and more
Old 12-07-2012, 22:57   #41

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

I am reading and listening. Thank you for the comments.

I have a personal budget that I can use of $2000. I have become a MAc user for 4 years due to the issue at work. I like Mac because I don't have to do anything, it works and I find it very intuative. I can edit movie clips, and do most other things without additional software that may or may not work without some "tech Knowledge"

However I am not married to Apple. On the negative side of the Mac Air and Mac pro is the battery issue. Can not take a spare cruising to the South Pacific. Wiffi will be limited and a pactor modem to my ssb will do the email and weather info.

Also I am aware that a drop of water can destroy a mac, or any other regular PC. The Toughbook type are interesting, my query is how much extra in software and is windows 7 as easy to use as mac systems? Bit daunting to go away from the simple Mac operation.

Should state that no real business use. Just looking for a good simple system that is not going to cause me grief. This could be a 1 off situation so I do not want to mess up my one shot at the can.

with the ipad you can hook up to a mac and download that way can you not?
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 00:33   #42

"windows 7 as easy to use as mac systems? Bit daunting to go away from the simple Mac operation."

Not remotely close. PC people have been lauding for years how far windows has come. Yeah, because they had to catch up when even frikken linux was easier to use, but they are a long, long long way off.

I went PC for about the last year because someone stole my macbook, and I was super broke so I bought a $400 lenovo. it was OK for a while, but AMAZINGLY cheaply made, the thing really fell apart on me. Obviously a toughbook is in a different league, but priced accordingly and STILL stuck with the beast that is windows.

Mac OS is still so much amazingly better, it just works. Windows would constantly hang for no apparent reason. And it STILL crashes, Way (WAY!) more than mac.

I just got a macbook air, and it's like I can breathe again.
Not having multiple batteries is kind of a bummer, but I guess I'm a little unclear on your motives. I mean: you are still going to have to charge all them batteries so why not just plug in the computer?
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 00:55   #43

Boat: Seawind 1160

re Noelex 77
I have to agree I have both and really turn on the laptop unless the wife has the Ipad and won't give it over. May have to get a second Ipad
poppyduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 01:16   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyduc View Post
re Noelex 77
I have to agree I have both and really turn on the laptop unless the wife has the Ipad and won't give it over. May have to get a second Ipad
That's exactly what I had to do.
I had mine two weeks before I had to get a second one for my wife.

They are excellent, particularly for boat use.
I no longer, fortunately, need for the heavy buisness applications. I think the iPad will do a lot of this work, but the best tool for the job is a laptop.

For me, I think using an iPad most of the time, I will update my laptop much less often so the overall cost, even buying 2 iPads is likely to be less, or at least no more, given the cheaper cost of the tablet.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 02:27   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Apples iwork (pages, Numbers and Keynote) is easy and effective to use - certainly pages is way easier than word, the other two probably on a par, all three will open Word, excel and Power Point respectively, and save to those formats. Haven't owned MS Office for years, used it at work, but not at home for many years. iwork was ***** loads cheaper than Office as well.

*** Edit - sorry Art - just realized your comment referred to Ipad rather than Mac Book. So my note above should be read as only valid for MAC Laptop/Mini/Desktop.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laptop