Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 13:31   #1

Boat: Alberg 35
West Marine WC20

I have a WC 20 which suddenly stopped working. All other AC circuits on boat are fine. Manual mentions an internal circuit breaker but nothing about how to reset it. Any help appreciated!
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 19:56   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: West Marine WC20

Hate to sound dense, but I dunno what a "West marine WC20" might be. You might get some useful answers if you fleshed out your question a bit.

Jim
Old 24-10-2018, 20:32   #3

Boat: 1979 Cape Dory 30 Cutter

It's a battery charger.

Battery chargers die often. At my marina there is a table where people like to put stuff they are giving away; at least a few times a month there is a dead battery charger on the table.
J.Kitchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 19:36   #4

You're both right. I don't often start threads and I should have noted this is a battery charger. And in working this problem, I've discovered that chargers do, indeed, die.

For whatever it may be worth to others... what I discovered is that the West Marine WC20 (there's a 40 amp model called a WC40 also) is actully working. Theere is a remote display connected via what appears to be telephone cable that is not.

We had a sudden bloom/explosion of mold in our boat about two weeks ago. The area had two weeks of rain and a few very hot days. I'm wondering if somehow the mold damaged the remote display? It's a PCB board open to the air. I know this sounds far fetched. But the coincidence of the two events makes me wonder.
Old 30-10-2018, 22:17   #5

no. but rain may have...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 11:27   #6

Boat: Moody 346

For whatever it may be worth to others... what I discovered is that the West Marine WC20 (there's a 40 amp model called a WC40 also) is actully working. Theere is a remote display connected via what appears to be telephone cable that is not.

I have a WM40 with the remote display. The lights on the display are messed up so I just disconnected the cable and the charger is working ok. West Marine has no knowledge of this unit even though their name is on it?
captd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 19:22   #7

I called West Marine and after a long series of waits, was told, "we don't make these things, we just sell them and it's an old unit we no longer sell." I've determined that it's the remote display that isn't working and I can live without that. I'd probably buy a new one if they had it but apparently they don't.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:50   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
... I've determined that it's the remote display that isn't working and I can live without that. I'd probably buy a new one if they had it but apparently they don't.
From 2017 ➥ https://translate.google.com/transla...EC&prev=search

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:15   #9

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

If I remember correctly the Westmarine WC20 charger was a rebranded Statpower Truecharge unit. Looks identical to the old yellow Truecharge units except painted black. If you have one of those and its still working that in itself is a bonus! They were rugged units. the connecting cable IS a phone cable, you just have to get a 4 wire cable not the more common 2 wire cable. If the "display" got wet then you might need to take it apart to try to discover what went wrong. But as it doesn't really tell you much anyway, you'd be better to get a battery monitor and use that instead! You'll get more data of value that way.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 20:53   #10

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

West Marine doesn't manufacture anything. If it has there name on it you can find the exact same thing much cheaper somewhere else. However, I don't know why you would want to. I haven't known any of there stuff to last long.

Tags
marine