Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 12:34   #16

Re: "VNC" style viewer/control of PC using tablet

Hi all!

I am testing Splashtop Streamer. It's not full touchscreen support, but I got a Sony Xperia Z2 popup so I could use the keyboard. I couldn't move a window, holding = right click so impossible to move things. Might not be super-important, but anyway.

The discussion above has expanded to routing etc.

Here's my planned setup:

"Plattor" = tablets (Android + iOS)
"Piedestal" = the Helm
"Djup" = depth

The rest doesn't need translating, Swedish is, like English, a language in the Germanic language tribe...

I want to keep the old Raymarine stuff as long as it works, as I got so much charts (all Europe) to the plotter at the helm. Don't like Raymarine and other manufacturers proprietary network protocols etc, so will move towards NMEA 0183/2000 + WiFi, hence the purchase of the True Heading WiFi AIS unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sketch-1459193432514.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	121570  
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 17:06   #17

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief

TeamViewer
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 01:16   #18

Boat: Valiant 42

Will team viewer work without an Internet connection to the team viewer cloud server?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 05:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Will team viewer work without an Internet connection to the team viewer cloud server?
Yes,

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/help/4...n-modus-nutzen
Old 29-03-2016, 05:18   #20

Something like Air parrot or Reflector 2 will work also.

Getting Started with Reflector 2 for Mac or Windows
Old 30-03-2016, 12:11   #21

I am used to Teamviewer. Why better than Splashtop?

Cheers
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:55   #22

Boat: Moody 44

Until this year I was running OpenCPN on a win7 laptop at the chart table and a splashproof Panasonic CF-08 wireless touchscreen display at the helm. The two were connected using WiFi and Windows Remote Desktop. (No router) I prefer to have one "master" nav computer so as not to duplicate routes and waypoints on multiple devices, so having the cockpit display simply repeat the screen, keyboard and mouse downstairs was perfect. It worked just fine but was a little power hungry.

FWIW - I am now an enthusiastic convert to OpenCPN on Raspberry Pi using the OpenPlotter open source project. I have replaced the laptop with a dedicated Pi nav computer running Linux (at a fraction of the current draw) and have kept my cockpit repeater display using WRD or VNC. Openplotter not only runs OpenCPN just great but also acts as a WiFi access point for the cockpit display, has a built-in NMEA data multiplexer and monitors basic engine temperatures/alarms for me as well.

Oh, and I can lie in my bunk and monitor the nav computer using VNC for Android on my smartphone or tablet.

Openplotter has lots more features and its OpenSource like OCPN so its developing daily - see OpenMarine or http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ct-152754.html
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 21:34   #23

Boat: Island Packet 40

I use a Win 7 computer at the nav station connected into a Raymarine autopilot via an USB to RS422 converter with a Sony tablet using Navionics at the wheel. System works well and gives me a degree of redundancy.

In the future I would like to implement a WiFi to RS422 converter connection just to have a go and try it out.

I am not very impressed with the performance of touch screens in the rain or with spray but being able to manipulate the nav station computer with a trackball or wireless mouse whilst viewing it on the tablet in the cockpit would be a nice capability to have.

I aspire to eventually implementing the Openplotter project on a Raspberry Pi but have too many other projects on the go at the moment.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:19   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
FWIW - I am now an enthusiastic convert to OpenCPN on Raspberry Pi using the OpenPlotter open source project. I have replaced the laptop with a dedicated Pi nav computer running Linux (at a fraction of the current draw) and have kept my cockpit repeater display using WRD or VNC.
I'm also an OpenCpn fan, though currently running on a Win 10 tablet. I'm considering moving to a Raspberry Pi. What display are you using with the Pi and what current draw do you get for the Pi and display?

Cheers,

Aedan
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 21:38   #25
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
I'm also an OpenCpn fan, though currently running on a Win 10 tablet. I'm considering moving to a Raspberry Pi. What display are you using with the Pi and what current draw do you get for the Pi and display?

Cheers,

Aedan
I'm also a in fan of Opencpn, and openplotter on a Raspberry Pi. Using a Sony Xperia in the cockpit (waterproof and a bright screen) with Opencpn and vnc into the Pi, with the display turned off down below the Pi draws not much more than 0.1A.

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:20   #26

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post

Cheers,

Aedan
Its a while since I measured it but I seem to remember that the draw was around 250mA. I have a small audio amplifier to boost the feeble Pi audio for Openplotter audible alarms so I could reduce consumption by turning the amp off.
I use an old 14" laptop TFT display with an external display adapter as my chart table display but most of the time its switched off or in power saving mode.
In the cockpit I have a Panasonic CF-08 wireless display connected to the Pi's WiFi access point. I must admit I haven't measured the consumption on that. Because of the daylight viewable display I suspect that this is the thirsty bit but I don't see a way of avoiding that if you want to view the plotter in the cockpit.
I also have a tablet connected by VNC but rarely use it because, unlike Conachairs, my tablet is not waterproof or daylight viewable.
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote