Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 19:57   #31

Boat: DownEaster 38
Re: VHF With AIS Transceiver, not just receiver?

I struggle with the same question, but also am asking myself if I really need a separate AIS transponder since I receive AIS alerts through my SIMRAD RS35 VHF and see them very well on the Zeus2 MFD and on any connected phone or tablet via the WiFi1 model. The only missing piece is being able to send my location via AIS. As long as we are vigilant in keeping watch over the other vessels we should be safe. If I do go further it will most likely be the Vesper XB-6000.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 06:23   #32

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
The XB-8000 also gives you a NMEA2000 to TCP/IP bridge, which allows you to use things like OpenCPN etc.

My setup is XB-8000 + Vesper splitter, going to Vesper antenna. I have a VHF and FM radio plugged in to the splitter. Everything works really well!

My Mac Mini runs OpenCPN, and reads the AIS and GPS and other messages from the NMEA network via the Wifi link on the XB-8000. That means I have all the info available at my chart table, as well as on the chart plotter in the cockpit.

As for the internal/external GPS question, AFAIK it is a requirement for AIS transmiters to have their own GPS. It adds some redundancy to my network.

Regards
Michael
Thanks, very good info. I'm adding this to the existing network on my new-to-me boat and I think a lot of the 8000's features will be redundant with what I have. I already have a Maretron USB interface for my NMEA2000 network so I could plug in a laptop if I used one on the boat (which I don't). I guess the 8000 would add another level of redundancy in case my plotter died and I wanted to view AIS through my iPad, but I don't think it's really worth the price difference right now (or in the foreseeable future).

And as for the perennial debate between splitter and a separate location.... I think I've read enough positive reviews of the splitter to go with that choice. It won't be a Vesper brand antenna unless I replace the existing Shakespeare antenna, but I still have a feeling it will work just fine.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 08:00   #33

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Thanks, very good info. I'm adding this to the existing network on my new-to-me boat and I think a lot of the 8000's features will be redundant with what I have. I already have a Maretron USB interface for my NMEA2000 network so I could plug in a laptop if I used one on the boat (which I don't). I guess the 8000 would add another level of redundancy in case my plotter died and I wanted to view AIS through my iPad, but I don't think it's really worth the price difference right now (or in the foreseeable future).

And as for the perennial debate between splitter and a separate location.... I think I've read enough positive reviews of the splitter to go with that choice. It won't be a Vesper brand antenna unless I replace the existing Shakespeare antenna, but I still have a feeling it will work just fine.
Its pretty damn nice to lay in bed with a tablet (Apple or Android) and see ALL your NMEA data. When my wife was on watch and I was waking up for my watch, I could put a quick eyeball on my tablet and get a rough state of the union, NO USB CABLE REQUIED. It basically makes your entire network (NMEA2000 and 0183) WIFI enabled. After our lightening strike I replaced my 8000 with a 6000 (due to budget) and that functionality is sorely missed.

P.S. Our Vesper splitter is connected to a Shakespere squatty antenna. It works fantastic.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 08:27   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Its pretty damn nice to lay in bed with a tablet (Apple or Android) and see ALL your NMEA data. When my wife was on watch and I was waking up for my watch, I could put a quick eyeball on my tablet and get a rough state of the union, NO USB CABLE REQUIED. It basically makes your entire network (NMEA2000 and 0183) WIFI enabled. After our lightening strike I replaced my 8000 with a 6000 (due to budget) and that functionality is sorely missed.

P.S. Our Vesper splitter is connected to a Shakespere squatty antenna. It works fantastic.
This is very helpful, thanks. I will still have that capability, to lay in bed and see all my data on a tablet, because I'm installing the Navico wifi interface. My B&G plotter will be mirrored and controlled by my iPad via wifi.

It does mean that the plotter needs to be working and turned on, so in theory the 8000 would provide some redundancy in case of plotter failure, but not sure that's worth a $220 price difference. If my plotter unexpectedly fails, I would fix/replace it almost immediately and I think I could live without AIS until I did so.
Old 22-03-2017, 10:40   #35

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
This is very helpful, thanks. I will still have that capability, to lay in bed and see all my data on a tablet, because I'm installing the Navico wifi interface.
The 8000 can also be a client node on the network, it doesn't have to be used as a router. You still get all the NMEA data over WiFi. I've got a few apps on my phone which happily use that data to display useful stuff.

Another big Vesper fan here, if you haven't figured that out.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 17:39   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
The 8000 can also be a client node on the network, it doesn't have to be used as a router. You still get all the NMEA data over WiFi. I've got a few apps on my phone which happily use that data to display useful stuff.

Another big Vesper fan here, if you haven't figured that out.
Caps Tom: Would you please expand on the role of the 8000 as a "client" as opposed to a "router"? What data to you see on those apps you mention? In my setup I see all the "normal" data from water/wind/GPS/AIS sensors on my Zeus2 MFD and on a connected iPad (or Android tablet). I do not have any engine functions or fancy weather instruments which I know could be added. Just curious. Thanks in advance.
Old 22-03-2017, 18:10   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
Caps Tom: Would you please expand on the role of the 8000 as a "client" as opposed to a "router"?
I was going to ask the same thing, and it sounds like your Zeus+iPad setup is pretty much what I'm working towards right now.
Old 22-03-2017, 22:14   #38

Yeah! With the Simrad RS35 (and its wireless handset) I get (as far as I can tell right now) all the AIS info I need including the ability to call an AIS "target" with one click (or tap on the screen). The AIS targets show up on the wireless handset, too! Cool? Very useful, too.
Old 23-03-2017, 04:51   #39

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
Caps Tom: Would you please expand on the role of the 8000 as a "client" as opposed to a "router"?
There are two different functions. One, using the 8000 as a router, can be turned off if you already have a WiFi router. In that case, the 8000 is just a client that communicates through your existing router with the other devices on board.

The other function is taking AIS data, along with other NMEA 2000 data, and sending it out over the WiFi network. It doesn't presently transfer ALL types of NMEA data. For example, they haven't gotten to adding engine data yet. But they're adding more data types with each release.

To be honest, the most useful data comes from the 8000 itself; AIS targets and GPS position. You can look at the Vesper web site and see what other data types they send out, and see what's useful to you.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 05:49   #40

Boat: 2001 Catalina 400 MKII
Send a message via MSN to CCR2580

Plus the XB8000 has a new feature with an excellent anchor alarm and is very simple to use. I'd go with the XB8000 worth the extra cost.
CCR2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 19:56   #41

Is the 8000's external antenna optional or required? Can it be mounted below decks? The antennas on my bimini frame are adding up...
Old 28-03-2017, 04:54   #42

Boat: 2001 Catalina 400 MKII
Send a message via MSN to CCR2580

Since the XB8000 is both transpond and receive you have two antennas. My XB8000 VHF antenna is mounted on my solar panel frames which are mounted above my Bimini. MY XB8000 GPS antenna is mounted on my stern handrail. Both work well at these locations. I also set the XB8000 VHF antenna up so if my regular VHF antenna goes out on my mast I have enough VHF antenna cable on the AIS to use for my VHF radio as an emergency antenna. Also if you have NEMA 2000 backbone connect the XB8000 to the NEMA 2000 and everything goes directly to your chart plotter. Since the XB8000 has wifi when Vesper sends you updates download the updates to your Vesper phone app then they will automatically update to your XB8000. Vesper sends you emails whenever they have updates! The newest XB8000 update has a great anchor alarm that is very easy to activate on your phone app and no math to do. No need to keep your chart plotter on while at anchor. Go to Vesper website and read about the latest updates. Plus Vesper has great customer service.
CCR2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 06:37   #43

I use an XB6000, the smaller brother of the XB8000 without the GPS antenna and it works perfectly. Our boat is fibreglass and the XB 6000 is mounted about 30cm below the deck level not close to any serious metalwork like winches etc.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 07:45   #44

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AedanC View Post
I use an XB6000, the smaller brother of the XB8000 without the GPS antenna and it works perfectly. Our boat is fibreglass and the XB 6000 is mounted about 30cm below the deck level not close to any serious metalwork like winches etc.
Yup exactly.. Out current XB6000 is located below decks without an external antenna and works perfect.

Our previous Watchmate (esentially an XB8000 with a screen) was also mounted without the antenna and it worked perfected..

If I remember correctly the instructions even stated the antenna was optional. Test first, then install the antenna if the unit can't get a good lock!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 08:44   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post

If I remember correctly the instructions even stated the antenna was optional.

That's my recollection as well. Remember you can also install the antenna downstairs too if you want, it's easy to try different locations and see.
AedanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, vhf