Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2016, 12:39   #1

Using openplotter & opencpn on a 60 feet SAR boat?

Ok here we go:

I'm building a 60 feet proof of concept boat for SAR purposes. It's going to be really heavy duty. We're on a ridiculous tight budget and want to build the navigation system cheap and flexible. The monocoque should be "easily"changeable in the future so I want to design it more or less as plug and play. This gave me the idea to put as much of the electronics as possible in a box in the hull and only have monitors in the monocoque. I need radar, ais, navigation, vhf and autopilot integration. The power train will be dual Diesel engines with water jets and fly-by-wire.

I'm I crazy to even think about openplotter and opencpn?

The boat is going to be used as a demo/poc boat and will not be used in real SAR missions.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 12:56   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Using openplotter & opencpn on a 60 feet SAR boat?

If I was a potential customer looking at a 60' SAR vessel i would expect the demonstrator to have a fully featured, multi redundant and fully functional instrumentation suite. Ie not a cobbled together solution.

SAR is a capability and not just a boat. That capability requires as a minimum a fully integrated, multi redundant boat, propulsion, instrumentation, ergonomics, human factors, sensors, effectors, maintainability, through life support, etc.

To sell the above you will need to demonstrate the vessel in degraded states, realistic scenarios, etc. Could you do this convincingly with the instrumentation suite you suggest?

Any prototype needs to be well funded. If you are budget constrained building the first prototype this would be a red flag for any government or similar potential customer.

What exactly is your target market?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 13:18   #3

Using openplotter & opencpn on a 60 feet SAR boat?

Well with this concept boat we only try to show the construction and production technology not the complete system. So on the system side we want to have it cheap and modular. Our first thought was to just buy normal electronics from for example raymarine etc but then I thought it would be a cool feature to have open source products.

Our potential customers are experts on the system side so we won't be providing anything more than the hull when/if we get a deal

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn