Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2018, 12:29   #46

Re: Ubiquiti M2 is a piece of ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I've got an M2 Titanium to mount, but I wasn't keen on having the actual M2 hanging outside off the back of the antenna (which is to be mounted on the stern radar pole). I've also purchased a 5m N extension cable so I can keep the M2 below decks. Haven't actually mounted it yet but have wondered if this config would reduce the signal strength significantly??
The Bullet (and all the Ubiquiti gear) is intended for outdoor service, and they are easy to add more sealant. I never have any problems (about 50 radios in service) except maybe once a year with a lightning strike.

I would never use an RF cable, only an ethernet cable. You might test it and report your result?
Unregistered-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 12:31   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditz View Post
It finds a lot of spots that i dont see on our iPhone/iPad, but is not able to connect to them.
Dieter, put the newest firmware on it.
Old 26-07-2018, 12:36   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username25 View Post
We have Nanostation M2+airGateway. Works well. Just I can't figure out one problem with streaming to Marantz M-CR510 Network Receiver connected via cat5 to airGateway. If I stream music from my phone connected to the same LAN, any WAN (internet) connection just stalls. It looks like all throughput via Nanostation M2+airGateway is fully consumed by LAN streaming. Any ideas?
Make sure the airgateway is on auto-channel, and then restart it.

Remember, there are only three non-overlapping channels in the 2.4G band.
Old 26-07-2018, 14:22   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditz View Post
Jo, its a shame they left!
It dont seam anyone else is making a simulare product...

Yes, i might have the bits, but they are not working.. [emoji57]

There is someone manufacturing and selling a similar product.
I don’t have one myself, but have only heard good things.
http://islandtimepc.com/marine_wifi.html
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 15:08   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There is someone manufacturing and selling a similar product.
I don’t have one myself, but have only heard good things.
http://islandtimepc.com/marine_wifi.html

THX for the link, i will take a look...

Dieter
Ditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 15:48   #51

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I'm not sure why the all-in-one approach si so attractive. I have an antenna and bullet in one weatherproof unit, a cable comes inside to connect to the power supply and then the access point is built inside a panel. There's only one unit to be deployed. Anyone can put that together, in fact, if you use the nanostation, it really is a single unit.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 15:57   #52
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

If you have hands like coal shovels used to toss achors around then a screwdriver put to a Nanostation reset button will be murder. This gear is professional grade, meaning it’s not to be installed by consumers let alone coal shovel equipped ones

Ubiquity is pretty neat; I think I was the first one to use the Nanostation and deal with all the “OMG it’s directional so can’t be used on boats” and currently I’m the last to be using Picostations as you can’t buy them anymore.

The ultimate is a Rocket-M coupled with a Rocket-Omni antenna
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 20:28   #53

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Jedi--

Are you using the 10dBi or the 13dBi version of the Omni? I'm guessing 2.4G...
Old 30-07-2018, 07:28   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Two words. Redport Halo. Google it and be happy.
Uhm, This is nothing more than alfa networks rebadged stuff at HIGH price markup !
Get the alfa networks UTP based receiver. It works great and you can change the type of antenna on it. A good antenna with the receiver will cost you less than 100 bucks vs the redport stuff which I see marked up to 400 dollars.
az_r2d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 10:11   #55

Hi,

I created a post with details of my Ubiquiti M2 installation. It includes a step by step instructions for configuring Bullet and a local router.

It has been working fine for years, and I now leave the system on all the time. As an added benefit, I recently installed a smart WiFi thermostat so that I can turn on the AC before I arrive at my marina.

Here is the link. I hope it is helpful.

Wifi:
S/V Johanna Rose: WiFiWork

Smart thermo:
S/V Johanna Rose: Installing a Smart Thermostat

Paul
S/V Johanna Rose
dreuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 13:47   #56

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I started with marine wifi about 15 years ago by assembling custom clients using the boards out of Linksys APs, high gain patch antennas, and omni antennas. The systems worked great - for me at least. My three friends that I helped with them quickly forgot how to change the SSID/PW and within a few years had passed them on to folks who could handle the technology. I have had similar experiences with an M2HP and M2 Ti - no problem for me, they work great, but non-techies quickly find themselves over their heads and frustrated. And they are an ongoing support problem, as I get calls from distant ports about getting them working. I do this just to help people out, but it has become a case of "no good deed goes unpunished".

My point is that these are not consumer devices, and unless the buyer is networking savvy it will entail a steep learning curve to get working. And that is where Island Time and the others come in - they are the same hardware with a more friendly GUI. For most cruisers it will be better to invest in these packages than to attempt to master the stock interface, designed for networking professionals. Anyway, cutting edge hardware is of no use if the user can't set it up and maintain it - better to have something that can be learned.

I am currently using a TP-Link outdoor 5GHz system, which is working great. I recently purchased the Mikrotik dual band Groove to try out. My previous experience with a Mikrotik router was daunting: it had incredible capability embedded in an incredibly complex system, and requiring a Windows program to set up. I have my doubts that the Groove will be any easier than the Bullet to program, but I like the hardware package plus firmware features. Wish me luck.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:28   #57

Boat: Van de Stadt 36 Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Having thought about it, I think I will go down the 4G/LTE route. The vast majority of wifi networks in the UK are now password locked.

Pete
Row over to the next bar and get yourself a coffee and the WiFi password. Will help you now (coffee) and the next hours (internet).
ErnestV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 17:21   #58

Boat: O'Day 37
Send a message via AIM to bobhuntsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Since there's some obvious wifi expertise on show here...

I've got an M2 Titanium to mount, but I wasn't keen on having the actual M2 hanging outside off the back of the antenna (which is to be mounted on the stern radar pole). I've also purchased a 5m N extension cable so I can keep the M2 below decks. Haven't actually mounted it yet but have wondered if this config would reduce the signal strength significantly??
Five meters of coax would eat up about half of your signal at 2GHz.
bobhuntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 17:37   #59

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Despite the price I went with the Redport. After hearing one Ubiquiti and Groove nightmare after another it made sense. I installed it as instructed, fired up their app on my phone and bam in about two minutes had 30 signals to choose from. I'm a sailor not an IT Tech.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 13:35   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestV View Post
Row over to the next bar and get yourself a coffee and the WiFi password. Will help you now (coffee) and the next hours (internet).
Ha, well the newish Netgear 790 Aircard arrived this week with the optional Mimo antenna to replace the older 3G Huewui we have been using for the past few years.

Popped down the boat the morning to install it. A quick flick through the instructions saw it set up in a couple of minutes. There are warnings on Amazon the TS9 connections are weak so care needed. In with the sim card and we were away. Quick speed test showed 40mbps which is nearly as good as we have at home nearby via the phone lines. The Alfa was packed away in the back of a cupboard and I won't have to drink coffee just to be able to send an e-mail.

There are those on the forum who I am sure enjoy faffing around with networks, me I just want to chill and not get wound up over IP addresses and DCHP stuff.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote