Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 13:55   #1

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse
Trouble getting GPS position to 802

Hello

In trouble shooting and coming up with a plan to get the AIS data wireless form my MA500TR we decided to try and wire or trouble shoot why the 802 wasnt getting a DSC position.

This below is form my friend who is helping me.

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome

The Icom AIS outputs AIS data to the C80 via its NMEA output 2 (wires7 & 8) 38400 baud but there was a broken pin in the NMEA input socket to the C80 preventing the signal getting to the plotter. I made it work poking a wire on the broken contact and targets appeared on the screen. I might be able to input AIS to the C80 through its NMEA2000 socket via a multiplexer/wifi. I also got a look at the data sentences from the Icom AIS on the computer and the AIS data is all there and worked well and can be wifi'd.

The VHF gets its position and DSC data from the Icom AIS NMEA port 1 (wires 2 & 3) 4800 baud, it is wired badly but it works, should be remedied. I looked at the NMEA data sentences on and they are not what is quoted in the manual! which leads me to the next point.

The HF DSC position does not work. It was wired incorrectly and badly and configured wrongly. I have made the cable about 10m shorter. it is no longer wires just twisted together and it is no longer piggy backed with the VHF on NMEA port 1. The Icom 802 specificly needs an NMEA 0183 ver 3.1 GGA sentence for its position, that is how I have now configured The Icom AIS NMEA port 3 (wires 12 & 13) 38400 baud but the position does not get through to the HF??? I checked the data on my PC and despite what the manual says, your Icom AIS is not sending out a GGA sentence on any of its NMEA ports! I need to talk to Icom about this.

Thanks

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 17:49   #2

Re: Trouble getting GPS position to 802

The 802 is 4800baud. Why would he hook it up to 38,400? Put it back on port 1 with the VHF. There is no reason not to share.

If it's not putting out the sentence the 802 wants. (Its very picky). You may need another GPS antenna. The last 802 I installed I had to put in a garmin 19x nmea 183 antenna to feed the 802. Could not make it work from existing stuff on boat.

If the c80 has a 2nd port,try and take it from there. (Sounds like the first port is used by ais at high speed)
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 08:50   #3

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Trouble getting GPS position to 802

LD,
Just got your PM, but thought I'd reply here first!

I'm with smac here...see details in red...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
In trouble shooting and coming up with a plan to get the AIS data wireless form my MA500TR we decided to try and wire or trouble shoot why the 802 wasnt getting a DSC position.

This below is form my friend who is helping me.

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome

The Icom AIS outputs AIS data to the C80 via its NMEA output 2 (wires7 & 8) 38400 baud but there was a broken pin in the NMEA input socket to the C80 preventing the signal getting to the plotter. I made it work poking a wire on the broken contact and targets appeared on the screen. I might be able to input AIS to the C80 through its NMEA2000 socket via a multiplexer/wifi. I also got a look at the data sentences from the Icom AIS on the computer and the AIS data is all there and worked well and can be wifi'd.
The above looks good...

The VHF gets its position and DSC data from the Icom AIS NMEA port 1 (wires 2 & 3) 4800 baud, it is wired badly but it works, should be remedied. I looked at the NMEA data sentences on and they are not what is quoted in the manual! which leads me to the next point.
Not sure what "manual", nor do I know what "vhf" radio....
But, why not just send the 4800 baud NMEA data (NMEA 0183) from NMEA port 1 (wires 2 & 3) of your MA500TR, to the M-802 as well as to your VHF radio???
This is a quick, easy, simple, and most elegant solution....(and one that doesn't cost any money, nor take much time!) I don't have my hands on the NMEA sentence requirements for the M-802, but if the MA500TR won't work, just use a Garmin GPS (any of the Garmin Marine Handheld GPS units....I use the GPS 76, as well as the GPSmap76....and others use the 72, 78, etc. etc...)

The HF DSC position does not work. It was wired incorrectly and badly and configured wrongly. I have made the cable about 10m shorter. it is no longer wires just twisted together and it is no longer piggy backed with the VHF on NMEA port 1.
Why not just connect the M-802 to the MA500TR's NMEA port 1 (4800 baud, NMEA 0183)???

The Icom 802 specificly needs an NMEA 0183 ver 3.1 GGA sentence for its position, that is how I have now configured The Icom AIS NMEA port 3 (wires 12 & 13) 38400 baud but the position does not get through to the HF??? I
The M-802 (as well as ALL other "non-AIS" DSC radios, VHF or MF/HF, cannot accept 38400baud NMEA....which is why this is not working...

checked the data on my PC and despite what the manual says, your Icom AIS is not sending out a GGA sentence on any of its NMEA ports! I need to talk to Icom about this.
Don't know what program you're running, nor whether the MA500TR actually outputs this sentence....
But, I see this a lot....folks making things more complicated than they need to be...
Hook up the M-802 position input just like you do with your DSC-VHF radio, and all should be okay!!

But, if not....then use a Garmin GPS....and forget trying to make everything "compatible"...Use what works and is reliable!!!
{BTW, this "advice" to use a Garmin GPS was given to me by Rodney Grimm (Icom tech service mangr) about 12 years ago!!
It works, it works 24/7/365, has been 100% reliable...AND
AND, does NOT require you to have ANY other of your vessels electronics working/connected/etc....meaning that you have dedicated position info available for your DSC radios, no matter what state of operation the rest of your vessel's electronics are in!!}

Thanks

LD

I hope this helps!

Fair winds.

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps