Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2023, 13:32   #1

Boat: Amel 50
Transfer Starlink Dishy

We are buying a used sailboat with a Starlink dish nicely installed. We already have a Starlink account. Can the existing account be disassociated from its current dish and transferred to the new dish? This wasn’t clear on the Starlink website.
Old 03-12-2023, 16:39   #2
SVE

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Transfer Starlink Dishy

The previous owner needs to go into their account and select "Transfer" for that specific Starlink kit. It will then allow a new account to take ownership. You won't take ownership of their account but you can transfer the dish to your own (new) account.
SVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 22:28   #3

Thank you. It’s clear how to create a new account on a dish somebody transferred. In this case, we already have an account associated with our own dish. Can we disassociate our account from our current dish and transfer it to the acquired one?
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 22:31   #4

it would be easier to just swap the dishes with the old owner and each keep your own. leave all the cables router etc. the acount is in the antenna. unless it's mounted strangly it'll pop out in 2 secs.

unless you want them both.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 22:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
Thank you. It’s clear how to create a new account on a dish somebody transferred. In this case, we already have an account associated with our own dish. Can we disassociate our account from our current dish and transfer it to the acquired one?
If you are keeping you dish active there is no need. An account can have more than one antenna associated with it.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 22:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
it would be easier to just swap the dishes with the old owner and each keep your own. leave all the cables router etc. the acount is in the antenna. unless it's mounted strangly it'll pop out in 2 secs.
WRONG. You need to transfer the ownership of the dish. The dish is how all the billing and usage is tracked, you can not “just swap” it with someone else!
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 22:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
WRONG. You need to transfer the ownership of the dish. The dish is how all the billing and usage is tracked, you can not “just swap” it with someone else!
he can swap his existing antenna onto his new boat and give the seller his ant back. old owner can cancel if they no longer need it.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 04:04   #8

That's my understanding too... that the dish is tightly associated with the account and it's not just a swap. Seems like the best option is to swap dishes. I was hoping to avoid it because the new boat's current dish is so nicely installed on a custom stainless cylinder welded to the davits, and the owner doesn't want it back. I assume/hope there's enough cable to be able to pull the old dish out and swap in the new one.

Thanks for all the replies!
Old 04-12-2023, 05:23   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just transferred my dish from one account to another (change of country)....super easy and done in 15 minutes...Fairly well documented in https://support.starlink.com/ (just search for "transfer"
barnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 06:13   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnab View Post
I just transferred my dish from one account to another (change of country)....super easy and done in 15 minutes...Fairly well documented in https://support.starlink.com/ (just search for "transfer"
Thanks. I read that bit. It covers one owner getting rid of a dish and a new owner signing up for a new service. Again, my question is whether, as new owner, I can transfer an existing service to the transferred dish.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:45   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

you cannot transfer the service itself. Once you click the transfer-button the service stops immediately (in reality it takes maybe 10 minutes). This is clearly documented. Once transferred, you start a new service on the dish. The service renews monthly, so if you don't want to loose anything, cancel the renewal (dish will work until the end of your month), and then transfer the dish.
barnab is offline   Reply With Quote