Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2023, 11:53   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45
Re: Starlink for video

The Narwhal WiFi system does use cellular 4g/5g, however it does not necessarily rely or require it. It can allow people to use both to gain the benefits of both, low power connectivity while underway and high speed, higher power when needed, or cellular coverage in areas where there are obstructions affecting Starlink, continuous coverage during a major squall when Starlink loses connectivity. However, it also provides other benefits that have nothing to do with cellular.. Such as VPN, route through home Internet, can bond multple Starlinks for people that need/want redundancy or can fix audio/video call interruptions that way. It also provides guest wifi, bandwidth usage controls and a bunch of other things that you don't get with just Starlink.

That said, it's interesting feedback. While I acknowledge that Starlink coverage is very good and mostly reliable, if you are running a business where interruptions in a video or audio call are not acceptible, or going down due to a rain storm, etc, then Starlink alone doesn't get you there.

In addition, you may want a wifi network that is always on even when Starlink isn't.. for onboard devices to talk to each other, such as NMEA data streaming, or printing or streaming video from a device to a smartTV.

Just some of my own thoughts on solutions like Narwhal..

-Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
@Sea-TechSystems ... The narwhalwifi system relies on a good cell signal.

I have had no issues with Starlink Connectivity with a HP Dish.

In remote areas, or more then 5 miles off shore (in theory could be 20 miles off shore if a cell antenna is on shore in a high area), there shall be no cell service.

This is where starlink works wonderfully. In fact, the more remote.. the better the connectivity.. (as no one else is sharing your space to talk to the sats)

With the current Starlink coverage, I do not think that this solution has any rational value for most people. If they are in cell covarage then just get a cell based system. If travelling further off shore.. Starlink is the way to go in my opinion. I look forward to your comments/observations/experience..
Old 13-11-2023, 13:44   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-TechSystems View Post
... While I acknowledge that Starlink coverage is very good and mostly reliable, if you are running a business where interruptions in a video or audio call are not acceptible, or going down due to a rain storm, etc, then Starlink alone doesn't get you there.
We have used internet service over the following networks:
  • DSL(phone lines)
  • Starlink
  • Cell
  • Cable
  • I won't count dial up.

Every single on one of them had/has service outages due to weather. Heavy rain for all but DSL but DSL would drop due to lightning on a certain bearing from the house. The house would not loose power, but the lightning would cause an outage, which I assume was EMP related. The cell tower is close to us, closer than what most people would get, but in heavy rain we would have degraded connections.

When we had satellite TV, that signal would fail in ice storms. The view to the satellite was through trees which was never a problem, even with leaves of the trees. However, ice on the limbs would degrade the signal. Never, ever would I have expected that to happen.

We do keep a cell modem as a backup to Starlink, but knock on wood, we have not had to use it. The few Starlink outages have not lasted long enough to power up the cell network.<CrossFingers> To be fair, the wife and I are in tooooo many online meetings, and most of the "pauses" are not from Starlink, but someone else's internet connection. Stuff happens

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2023, 01:26   #33
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

That Narwhal WiFi system sure costs a lot of boat bucks
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2023, 02:48   #34

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

If you search here in older threads you find a couple who both working fulltime from the boat.
What you need for reliable video meetings is two starlink antennas and two abos combined together. One antenna you modify by disabling the motors to stay horizontal while the other stays original so motors will move it in a different position. That means that the little dropouts of one antenna is covered by the other antenna.
Maybe the high performance dishy is solving that but so far i didn't read that anywhere.
One starlink will always give you little outages now and then which means the screen freezes for 3-5sek.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2023, 03:17   #35

I have the Starlink maritime service ($250 per month) and larger fixed antenna. Flawless phone, FaceTime, Zoom, internet in and between Los Angeles and Hawaii, both directions. A game changer.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2023, 04:24   #36

Boat: Taswell 43

following, as we're still tied to a TMobile MiFi, that works perfectly....as long as there's a TMobile signal!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote