Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2014, 20:44   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Standard Horizon Radio Problem

boxter, get a voltmeter and check the voltage to the radios. Make sure it stays over 12 volts when you transmit. If they are both on the same breaker/fuse and there's some corrosion on the power line, that could screw up both radios and the splitter, presumably on the same line as well.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 16:18   #17

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

My issues continue. Thanks to all who have responded.
I have checked the voltage and current to the splitter/AIS and VHF in all modes of operation and they are fine.

I used the ProAIS software to look at the antenna and using the VSWR meter the ration is 1:1.8 with antenna installed on the boat and 1:1.9 with the Shakespeare emergency antenna.

The Raymarine 650 AIS unit's green light is on, and I am receiving AIS info on my C80 MFD. However the AIS unit appears to have two problems.

1) The ProAIS software shows the error message "CP 18 Busy" repeatedly and I do not see my vessel on commercial apps. The boat is moored on Lake Union in downtown Seattle.
2) The ProAIS software indicates my GPS is functioning but my Nobeltec Odyssey does not recognize the GPS (hooked to the same computer I am running the ProAIS software through the same USB port)

Additionally the Standard Horizon GX2350, who's lights are on but does not transmit or receive also does not receive GPS data (which is coming from a separate GPS antenna which is hooked up to my C80 MFD through the NMEA 0183 Network.

All of these problems occurred at the same time.

I feel as though I have a gremlin in my system. Getting ready to send the AIS in for repair. I am debating sending the GX2350 in for repair since replacement cost is not that high and the unit is older (2001ish). The AIS is brand new.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
David
boxstereye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 18:07   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Software reading VSWR?

So now, the whole picture changes. It is not an antenna, a switch, and two radios, but it is computerized equipment and busses and all sorts of things can be wrong.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 18:35   #19

Boat: Valiant 42

David,

CP 18 is a "normal" message. It means that the AIS unit is finding collisions and is using an alternate time slot in which to transmit. It is not an error to see this message in an area with lots of AIS transceivers such as the Seattle area. So long as the indicator is green and not amber it is transmitting often enough in alternate time slots. I would not worry about this issue right now.

Also, don't depend on ship-trak or other web based systems. They are not that reliable regarding class B signals. See if you can find another boater with AIS near you to confirm whether they see your AIS.

I don't know what splitter you have but presume it is the Raymarine one. The specifications of that unit are pretty good so would not assume that is the problem.

The VSWR of 1.8:1 isn't that good but it indicates AIS transmission is working. So based on all you have said I would assume your AIS unit is working. Does the VSWR change with or without the splitter?

The VHF radio may just be bad. It happens. Unless you have an RF wattmeter to put inline with the coax there isn't much troubleshooting you can do. One of your cruising buddies who is also a HAM may have one you can borrow or get them to help you check the radio. It will only take 5 minutes if you have the right meter.

The GPS data problem is an unrelated issue. I presume you are feeding GPS data from the AIS650 to your navigation software. Does your navigation software have a log or display function that will show the GPS data stream? OpenCPN has such a window that is great for troubleshooting serial port problems.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 18:59   #20

Dan,
This was of great help. I have a off brand Splitter. I will check the VSWR without it and see if changes. I am probably going to replace my antenna and may put a dedicated AIS antenna in while we are in the neighborhood.

I am planning to replace the VHF as well if cannot be repaired reasonably (I have RAM mike which is probably not forward compatible so it will not be a cheap upgrade.)

I will post when I have it all sorted out.

Thanks

David
Old 12-10-2014, 20:49   #21

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

This may be an odd question for Seattle, but has there been a thunderstorm in your area lately? I have seen nearby strikes casue all kind of equipment failures without taking out things completely. I once lost a radio and the seatalk channel on my depth sounder. The depth sounder was fine otherwise and is still working 7 years later. That strike hit a piling 4 slips down from mine. Another time a nearby strike took out my battery combiner, my solar panel controller, and two of 4 LED running lights. Nothing else on the boat was damaged.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 22:28   #22

Thanks Bill, I was listening to a weather forecast underway on a beautiful sunny day in August when the reception went dead and my AIS signal stopped transmitting. Marine Traffic still has me in the Haro Strait pinpointing to the position when it happened. Some kind EM pulse went through my mind as well. Put I have no source.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
radio