Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2021, 06:09   #46

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: Standalone exterior Marine Cartplotter running Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Well, then it's a ruggedized PC with additional IO devices.
It does not matter how you call the thing.
Well it does, because that's exactly the opposite of your original requirement.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:16   #47

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
On my few attempts using Linux I always ended up with cumbersome command line commands which eventually let me abort the attempt to use it. Besides this there are many software packages which simply do not run of the shelf under Linux.
Sure, and some people can't drive a manual transmission either.

I didn't buy a McLaren because there is a special tool required to open the engine compartment that only the dealer has. Warranty is void if the owner opens the engine compartment. (Well, the price also played into it lol)

Different tools for different reasons. *nix is just as mature as Windows, possibly more so. Heck, I wrote part of the memory management code for the first multi-processor System III UNIX kernel back in the early 80's as graduate work. But it is largely aimed at a different market (high performance, flexibility, infrastructure, minimal OS for embedded systems etc).

Still there's loads of Windows out there as embedded devices also. If you use ATMs in the USA then its highly likely you use a long end of lifed Windows XP or 2000 device (scary!)
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:19   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Yes, but openplotter is nothing a normal user without technical background can buy off the shelf, just load up his or her preferred software, plug in almost any input device and use it right away.

Typical users do not have the expertise to configure a Linux based system.
This is also the precise reason why Linux as an open source system never took over from Windows (apart from the lack of full compatability of lots of software packages).
I am not saying openplotter is bad. It's surely great, but it's sub optimal for pure users due to the lack of of fully waterproof, daylight suitable of the shelf hardware with a pre-installed operating system with plug and play compatability.
I concur with this.

I like OpenCPN and have it installed but it is not user friendly. When I have asked for advice or help on the forum I found the folks there not really very helpful. In part it is because they are talking over my head, some are downright rude. I can see how this happens, open software is developed by enthusiasts. They want to push their skills and knowledge, their pay off comes from the achievement.

The comes along some dole like me who wants to play in their sand box and I have not paid the dues of learning to code. So rather than soaring with eagles they are babysitting some turkey, me.

Therefore I am stuck with lesser commercial alternatives where they pay people to baby sit me.

My solution, my compromise, is to to use an iPhone with iNavx and Aquamap. It is not all you seek, nor all I seek, but it is pretty good. I do have an older RM C-80 plotter with Navonics charts. I use the RM on passage just to stay on course and as my radar display. For planning AquaMap is great, and its tied into ActiveCaptain. Within the US the Aquamap charts are fine. Outside the US, not so much. Thats when I use the iNavex.

But if you find your Holy Grail let me know, I am interested.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:45   #49

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

I'm using: a used Panasonic Toughbook Tablet, CF-H2, 6,000 nit sunlight viewable screen, Windows 10, Open CPN 5., fully rugged, splash proof, touch screen w/pen, GPS internal, 6 programmable buttons, dual battery, docking fixture, bluetooth, wifi, purchased from Bob Johson's Computers, for $ 200. It's the closest thing I've found to what the OP asked about.
I also have a Panasonic CF-30 laptop that I use below.
sailor1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:11   #50

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Thanks.
Are you using it in the cockpit? How is the screen behaving when it's wet? Does it keep responsiveness?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1924 View Post
I'm using: a used Panasonic Toughbook Tablet, CF-H2, 6,000 nit sunlight viewable screen, Windows 10, Open CPN 5., fully rugged, splash proof, touch screen w/pen, GPS internal, 6 programmable buttons, dual battery, docking fixture, bluetooth, wifi, purchased from Bob Johson's Computers, for $ 200. It's the closest thing I've found to what the OP asked about.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:18   #51

We use OpenCPN all the time works great and the forum support is great too.
Actually that was the main reason I was looking for the Windows 10 chartplotter.

I want to run the windows 10version in the cockpit with full daylight visibility and a proper usable interface.
My only real issue is that most touchscreens fail to allow input when it's really wet. That is why I asked for chartplotter style hardware input output options.

We may end up with a ruggedized windows 10 tablet as described above, or a windows 10 touchscreen linked to the main nav station after all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I concur with this.

I like OpenCPN and have it installed but it is not user friendly. When I have asked for advice or help on the forum I found the folks there not really very helpful. In part it is because they are talking over my head, some are downright rude. I can see how this happens, open software is developed by enthusiasts. They want to push their skills and knowledge, their pay off comes from the achievement.

The comes along some dole like me who wants to play in their sand box and I have not paid the dues of learning to code. So rather than soaring with eagles they are babysitting some turkey, me.

Therefore I am stuck with lesser commercial alternatives where they pay people to baby sit me.

My solution, my compromise, is to to use an iPhone with iNavx and Aquamap. It is not all you seek, nor all I seek, but it is pretty good. I do have an older RM C-80 plotter with Navonics charts. I use the RM on passage just to stay on course and as my radar display. For planning AquaMap is great, and its tied into ActiveCaptain. Within the US the Aquamap charts are fine. Outside the US, not so much. Thats when I use the iNavex.

But if you find your Holy Grail let me know, I am interested.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:37   #52

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Thanks for this. Have you been able to make the charging connections (at both ends) watertight?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 15:14   #53

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

You need a resistive touch screen for use in wet conditions. There are plenty of options available, you just need to Google industrial monitors. You can also get all-in-one industrial PCs as well that would do exactly what you want, even down to integrated custom keyboards. Power consumption could be an issue, though.

You just need to break out the wallet and used units aren't easy to come by.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:48   #54

Quote:
Thanks.
Are you using it in the cockpit? How is the screen behaving when it's wet? Does it keep responsiveness?
I mosly use it under a hard dodger. It has never been flooded but has been misted w/o failing. The touch screen is used with a cursur pen and I find it a bit cranky. I have an inexpensive Bluetooth keyboard I use with it and may replace it with a waterproof one at some point.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:52   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Thanks for this. Have you been able to make the charging connections (at both ends) watertight?
It holds two batteries and you can switch over from one to the other hot. I have a dock I keep below and charge spare batteries and change them as needed. I have 4 batteries and that seems enough.
Old 07-01-2021, 11:22   #56

Great answers. Thanks.
Quote:
It holds two batteries and you can switch over from one to the other hot. I have a dock I keep below and charge spare batteries and change them as needed. I have 4 batteries and that seems enough.
Old 07-01-2021, 13:39   #57

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
I'm using: a used Panasonic Toughbook Tablet, CF-H2, 6,000 nit sunlight viewable screen, Windows 10, Open CPN 5., fully rugged, splash proof, touch screen w/pen, GPS internal, 6 programmable buttons, dual battery, docking fixture, bluetooth, wifi, purchased from Bob Johson's Computers, for $ 200. It's the closest thing I've found to what the OP asked about. I also have a Panasonic CF-30 laptop that I use below.
At that price, perhaps 2 units wouldn't be unreasonable to consider either.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 15:39   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
You need a resistive touch screen for use in wet conditions. There are plenty of options available, you just need to Google industrial monitors. You can also get all-in-one industrial PCs as well that would do exactly what you want, even down to integrated custom keyboards. Power consumption could be an issue, though.

You just need to break out the wallet and used units aren't easy to come by.
Panasonic Toughbooks use a resistive touchscreen.

Tags
marine, wind