Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 13:39   #1

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
ST60 Driving Me Crazy!

My ST60 wind instrument is driving me nuts. It has been intermittent for months. I tightened some connections, which got it working well for two days, and then it went berserk on me big time. The display now flips between 0.0 and - - - and sometime it reads 50.0 kts velocity on the nose with a 10-kt wind from just about everywhere else. So frustrating.

Here's what I know based of the tests I've performed:

When the ST60 seems to be working correctly, all the voltage readings are fine at the junction box at the base of the mast and also at the back of the display.

But as of yesterday, the ST60 is no longer intermittent. The display simply shows either 0.0 or - - - and sometimes flips between the two. The reading from red to shield, which should be a constant 8.0v is 7.8. Is that okay?

More important question: Today, for the first time, the voltage from blue to shield (port side direction indicator) is 0.4v. I know that's a problem. Is it enough to cause what I'm seeing on the display?

That reading is the same 0.4v at the junction box and at the base of the display, which seems to indicate that all wires are okay and that it's the sending unit with the problem. Any ideas?
Old 02-06-2013, 14:27   #2

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: ST60 Driving Me Crazy!

Dennis,
That 0.4VDC reading is certainly out of specs (2-6VDC). If it is an unchanging 0.4 VDC then it is really wrong. What voltages are you getting on the Yellow to screen?
Sounds like the masthead unit (either the cable, windvane or the transducer) has a problem. I suggest you take the issue to the Raymarine Forum. It also might be worth a trip to the top of the mast to insure the windvane is fully engaged with the transducer. Ospreys like to try to break off the windvanes to add to their nest. Looks like a dead tree branch to them.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 15:10   #3

Mine broke also. It flipped between 0.0 and ---- . After reading the Raymarine forums, and Googling for answers, it took me several trips up the mast to finally get it sorted out...corrosion inside the masthead connection. I ohmed out all the connections from the gauge to the mast base, then went up the mast with a bent paperclip and shouted directions to my wife down below how to read between two wires...I didn't really see any problems. Before I dropped the money on a new transducer (the likely culprit), I saw a post on another forum where someone posted a similar problem and used a Radio Shack connection cleaner called DeOxIT Gold to solve their problem.

It took a couple more trips up the mast to spray/soak/wait/spray/wait/connect/spray according to the directions (and use a toothbrush for good measure), but I'm happy to report that my wind gauge reads correctly now. I finally put the connection back together with marine/dielectric grease and it has been working fine since.

My handheld ICOM Command Mic also now makes a better connection after using the DeOxIT...I used to have to be careful about how much tension I could put on the cord when making a call...

Probably other snake oil/connection cleaners out there, but this one worked for me. As a matter of fact, this afternoon, I brought my truck transmission temperature gauge back to life with this connection cleaner.

Scott
67Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:33   #4

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Hi John. Yellow to shield was 3.5 yesterday. I was afraid somebody was going to tell me I had to go up the mast. I have a thread going on this subject on the Raymarine tech forum. I'm waiting for them to get back to me. I suspect they'll tell me the same thing, "Climb the mast."

67Therapy, thank you. Now when I finally get my sorry butt up the mast, at least I'll be armed with potential solutions.