Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2013, 11:36   #1

Boat: LM 27
Convert a Furuno Track .TRK to a GPX File?

Dear CF members,

I am struggling to convert a Furuno track file (file extension is .TRK) to a GPX file. I have received the file from another sailor who has used a Furuno system and saved a track for me. I need a part of his trackfile for my next trip through a narrow and unmarked seaway.

I have learned from several posts in this forum, that "GPS Utility" is able to do this conversion. I downloaded it and it acutally seems to work, but the .TRK file has around 2'000 points and the software only shows the first 500 points. Unfortunately the part of the track which I need is not among these first 500 points.

Of course I could buy the software for 60 Dollars to give it a try - but I will most probably never use it again except for this one file conversion.

Can anyone in this forum please help me?
Maybe anyone knows an online-service for the conversion? Or maybe someone owning the full version would even be so nice to do the conversion for me...?

Any help would be highly apreciated.

With best regards (from the German North Sea coast),
Eva
marathona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 18:39   #2

Re: Convert a Furuno Track .TRK to a GPX File?

Some devices can output in multiple formats. Ask the sailor who sent you the file if their Furuno system could output the same data as a .gpx file.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 12:38   #3

Thanks. Unfortunately the Furuno system of the other sailor does not have any export function. Downloading the files "as they are" to a SD card is the only way of getting them out at all.
Old 30-05-2013, 19:38   #4

There's a free app called GPSBabel which might be able to read it, but it doesn't make specific mention of reading the Furuno/Navnet .trk format.

Some of the Furuno manuals may have information on the Furuno trk format, but ... I don't know what you value your time at, but if a one-time conversion is going to take more than one or two hours of research and playing around, you might as well buy the GPSUtility for $60.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 01:35   #5

Thanks for your post. GPSBabel is actually what I am normally using, but unfortunately it cannot handle the Furuno track format.
You're probably right about value of the time I'm spending for this. But as I don't have a chance to get paid for working extra hours, the time is easier for me to get my hands on than the money...
(Sorry for my bad English, I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say)
Old 31-05-2013, 03:34   #6

Eva
Did you try eseayGPS at EasyGPS - FREE GPS Software for your Garmin, Magellan, or Lowrance GPS.

This seems to be able to read many different track formats, and is free.

Bas
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:58   #7

Bas, thanks for your post. Yes, I tried EasyGPS but it can't read the Furuno format.

Over the weekend I have found someone owning the full version of GPS Utility and I have got my file converted last night. It worked great.

For anyone else who might be interested in this issue:
I can confirm that GPS Utility is able to convert the Furuno track file to other formats. The free version as well as the full version, but the free version is limited to 500 track points.

The special thing about Furuno track file is, that the Furuno .TRK file seems to contain all tracks saved on the Furuno unit within one file. That's why full version of GPS Utility is actually needed, as you cannot separate a single track within the .TRK file before conversion.

Eva

Tags
furuno