Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 19:05   #1

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch
SSB RF Ground Termination Question

Hello CF,

I'm installing a new M802 SSB and AT-140 tuner. I did a ton of research prior to starting which paid off, and I'm now on the tail end of this complex and labor intensive project.

The one issue I have not figured out is what is the best way to terminate the 4" Copper RF grounding foil to the tuner and radio terminals? Can I solder a short length of 12 awg wire to the foil and crimp a ring terminal or should I fold up the end of the foil and drill a hole in it?

I'd hate to have put in this much work and mess up the performance by incorrectly terminating the foil.

Thanks, Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 19:41   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: SSB RF Ground Termination Question

I used a hole punch and some copper washers sandwiching the foil between them on the ground terminal. From what I’ve read braided or stranded wire is a no go, but I’m not very good with this stuff.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:27   #3

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

A short length of wire used as a jumper between ATU and copper strap is not going to make a significant problem. Just make it as short as you reasonably can. Even a longer piece isn't going to make a difference you could detect.

Keep in mind that hams have been building effective antennas of uncountable variety using stranded copper wire of much smaller diameter than AWG 12 for a hundred years with great results. There isn't anything magic about the copper grounding foil or strapping that is a requirement for a boat's RF counterpoise. The larger surface area of copper strapping does provide better capacitive coupling to the sea water, but that won't be inhibited by connecting it with a length of AWG 12 copper wire.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:39   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Just fold it over and drill a hole in it, washers are nice to spread the load.
I used stupid thick strap so I didn’t fold it over, just drilled the hole.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:02   #5
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
Hello CF,

I'm installing a new M802 SSB and AT-140 tuner. I did a ton of research prior to starting which paid off, and I'm now on the tail end of this complex and labor intensive project.

The one issue I have not figured out is what is the best way to terminate the 4" Copper RF grounding foil to the tuner and radio terminals? Can I solder a short length of 12 awg wire to the foil and crimp a ring terminal or should I fold up the end of the foil and drill a hole in it?

I'd hate to have put in this much work and mess up the performance by incorrectly terminating the foil.

Thanks, Jeff
If that doesn't work well for you try a KISS-SSB counterpoise, very easy install. I used it on my roundtrip Washington-Pearl Harbor, HI and was told by Pacific Seafarers Net to be the best they were receiving, even with my old SEA 2250 radio.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:49   #6

Yes, note that the incredible, magical, signal enhancing KISS SSB bundle of wires in a garden hose is itself attached to the tuner with a 4 foot section of stranded copper wire, so I do think you will do at least as well attaching your copper strapping to the tuner in a similar fashion.
Old 10-02-2019, 20:13   #7

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

I folded and drilled a hole--'had a booming good installation--loud and clear out there. The 4" copper ribbon worked well. SSB is great! Enjoy!
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:04   #8
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLady View Post
I folded and drilled a hole--'had a booming good installation--loud and clear out there. The 4" copper ribbon worked well. SSB is great! Enjoy!
I found that reception was the easy part, transmission the hard part. Test by trying to contact someone. I also found that both were better offshore.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 14:04   #9

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice.

On the AT-140 end I folded and drilled a hole in the copper strap. Same at the DynaPlate end for both the radio and AT.

I ended up 26” short of copper strap to make it to the radio so I soldered (2) 12 awg stranded wires to the strap and terminated to the M802. Note, the last 24” is above the waterline so not sure if that actually makes the use of the wire less of a negative.

Now I need to figure out how to use this thing!!

Thanks again,
Jeff
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 18:07   #10

That should work well. That 24” above waterline won’t hurt.

Tags
ssb