Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2011, 17:52   #1

ssb antenna question

I know very little about ssb but am thinking about getting one. Her is my question. My backstay chainplate is outside the transom and I can access the bolts easily from inside the hull. What will happen if I attach the wire from the antenna tuner to one of the bolts? I'm thinking that I could get away with just one insulated connector near the top of the stay and also avoid another hole in the deck. Mostly I singlehand so getting zapped by the stay isn't a problem since I'll be in the cabin when transmitting. Also the mast is only 26 ft. tall so I'd get a bit more length too. I'll appreciate any information. Thanks.
nial
nial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 18:03   #2

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Re: ssb antenna question

Give it a try, it might work fine. Try it without even putting an insulator anywhere on the backstay, it my work well for you.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 18:19   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

I've seen and spoken with lots of folks who have done just what you plan and they all had success with that type of antenna. There is no such thing as only one way here and there are lots of permutations for HF SSb antennas which work. About the only problem you might have is interaction with other electronics onboard by not isolating the antenna as well as a ground loop depending on what else is interconnected via the mast but give it a try.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 19:40   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Just be sure there is no "bonding wire" on the chainplate before you attach the tuner to it. A bonding wire would short the output to ground which is not good for range. Also check to see that there is not any touching or electrical connection possible between the backstay and any deck railing/pulpit/pushpit/bimini supports/etc. above deck. Otherwise, plenty of others have done it that way.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 20:53   #5
Eternal Member

Yep, that will work well. I've done a number of professional installs that way (feeding the chainplate belowdecks and just one insulator near the top of the stay). In fact, far as I'm concerned this is the preferred way to do it!

Use a short length of GTO-15 wire between the tuner and the chainplate.

What are you intending for an RF ground system?

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 21:54   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nial View Post
I know very little about ssb but am thinking about getting one. Her is my question. My backstay chainplate is outside the transom and I can access the bolts easily from inside the hull. What will happen if I attach the wire from the antenna tuner to one of the bolts? I'm thinking that I could get away with just one insulated connector near the top of the stay and also avoid another hole in the deck. Mostly I singlehand so getting zapped by the stay isn't a problem since I'll be in the cabin when transmitting. Also the mast is only 26 ft. tall so I'd get a bit more length too. I'll appreciate any information. Thanks.
nial
I did exactly that on my previous boat.

I even tried transmitting on all HAM bands up to the limit of the radio (30 MHz) while holding onto the backstay about five feet above the chainplate. No shock at all, although I certainly wouldn't want to touch the upper end!!!

The tuner was mounted about 2 feet away from the chainplate and grounded to an external copper plate directly below the tuner.

I got lots of favorable comments on my signal strength.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, ssb