Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2017, 08:10   #16

Re: Speaker rattles cabinetry

Buy a dowel at a hardware store. Cut it and slip it in vertically.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 18:16   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Thanks, everyone. There is no access behind the plywood panel without removing major joinery. Above the panel, I'm positive there are about two to three inches of sprayed-in foam, followed by the metal deck.

Steve
Steve, if you cannot stiffen panel from behind, try and stiffen from underneath by installing a divider at the center of the bookcase to take the flex out of the panel.
..easy to test
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 02:47   #18

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
You can drill a smallish hole (or 2 or 3) into the plywood panel and spray in a small amount of low-expansion spray foam (type used to seal around window casings). It will expand enough to stiffen the plywood nicely. Try a single hole in the middle first, you can always add more later if needed. Be judicious about it, especially if the space behind the panel communicates with other spaces. And be a bit careful of inadvertently gluing in electrical wires etc and causing problems later.
Thanks, everyone! I was able to remove the speakers and fit my drill into the enclosures, which allowed me to drill a hole into the space above the panel. I bought some French "Great Stuff" equivalent and was able to pump that into the voids above the panels. I guessed on the amount to put in since I have no idea how big the void actually is. It seems like I guessed okay, because the panel isn't bulging and the rattling seems to be gone. I can test the speakers more thoroughly when my wife is ashore.

It looks like this may have solved the problem. If not I will try some of the other suggestions y'all offered.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin