Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2023, 01:12   #1

Boat: Brooke Cutter 38
Simrad NSS8 won't read charts

I have C-MAP that I bought with the NSS8 in about 2014. I haven't used either the plotter or the charts since then and I don't know if the NSS8 read the charts then. Insight is not listed as a chart option on the menu. When I put the card into the slot, a little message pops up saying Loading Charts but then it disappears and nothing else happens. The only chart I can see is a broad outline of the coast with some towns. I called Simrad and was told the unit is no longer serviceable, which is very disappointing. It looks to me like the unit simply won't read the SD data. Any ideas welcome!!
rfnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 01:15   #2

Re: Simrad NSS8 won't read charts

Oh, I loaded the SD into my laptop and it recognises all the files. I can't read any of them as my laptop doesn't appear to have any software that can read them.
Old 28-11-2023, 03:18   #3

Boat: C&C38-3 WK

I remember having that problem back then.

There was a process to unlock the maps on the plotter. It registered with the serial number IIRC. After a firmware update of the NSS that added a digit to the serial # (thanks Navico), the chart would not load anymore even if the message "chart loading" was displayed. I called them and they reset my license so I could re-register.

You can try, but with a discontinued product, good luck.
PeterSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2023, 04:08   #4

I just find their whole attitude unbelievable! The thing's nine years old and never been used. I'm not asking for warranty - I just want it to work and I'm happy to pay the cost of any fix. But "unserviceable"?? It's an expensive plotter, supposed to be reliable. I have radio gear that's still working and certainly serviceable that's 40 years old! Who'd buy any Navico product knowing that they regard it as unserviceable after just 5 years (as they told me)?

Tags
charts, simrad