Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2024, 20:28   #1

Robertson AP300CX blind

Hello everybody.
I’be bought a boat with a robertson AP300X autopilot
Mechanicaly the pilot seems to works well but I can not control it because the control unit display has turned blind and fails.
I can buy an old refurbish control unit and hope that nothing else fails( testing the pilot seems imposible without the control unit)
But I would prefer to get a newer control unit from any brand that could control the pilot and connect it (with a nmea 183 to 2000 converter)with equipment like B&G Zeus2w9 B&G or at least garmin gpsmap 4208 that I have on board.
Is it posible?
I’m not a technician, just an old sailor that
Reluctantly tries to keep up with modernity.
Thank you
maldhorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 20:43   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Robertson AP300CX blind

You could use the Robertson drive with a modern controller. It's basically hooking up 4 wires, but you need to ensure the controller can provide enough current. You will need a new rudder angle sensor and rate compass.

If the old drive is a mechanical one, it's probably not worth saving. I had one break it's nylon gears mid ocean.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 21:36   #3

Thank you for the answer.
The drive unit is a hydrlolic HDL2000 from the same company.
It works fine and,as it often happens ,
«*If it works do’nt touch it*»doing a new installation will cost more than the unit itself.
Is there a control unit that I could plug in with minimal changes on the existing hardware?
Old 16-04-2024, 07:03   #4

Your drive is a keeper. I'm pretty sure it can be driven by the zeus with a nac3 core pack, but I'm on the road.
Old 16-04-2024, 07:04   #5

You could also look on ebay for a used replacement display unit.
Old 16-04-2024, 17:14   #6

Really depends on your budget.

The HLD2000 should be able to be driven by any autopilot computer provided they can supply sufficient peak current and that they have a clutch output. As other have said, that hydraulic unit is a keeper.

However the choice of autopilot computer then dictates what chartplotter or autopilot controller is required, as unfortunately you can't mix-n-match between manufacturers.

Unless you already have a NMEA 2000 network on-board that would be the first requirement for a modern autopilot system. If you already have a B&G Zeus on-board, then the easy solution would be to install a NAC-3. It will connect directly to your existing HDL2000.

Although the NAC-3 has a virtual rudder feedback, it will also connect to either a NMEA 2000 or frequency based rudder feedback sensor (RF 25 and RF300 respectively). I think you would already have a RF300?

The other item to consider is the compass, as you may need to also purchase a suitable NMEA 2000 compass (eg. B&G Precision 9, Furuno SCX20). I don't think your existing compass is supported by a NAC-3

You can also investigate the other vendors (Raymarine, Garmin, Furuno), in general their processor units support both reversing pumps and clutches. But they may not support your rudder feedback unit and may only support a proprietary compass.

BTW an inexpensive option that may be worth investigating is the recently announced Yacht Devices YDAP-04. On paper it looks interesting.

Ultimately you may find it less expensive and easier to repair your existing unit (On this thread there are some references for Robertson repairers) or find a second-hand replacement on e-bay.

Note I have no commercial interests in any of the above solutions.

Good luck.
stevead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2024, 20:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
Really depends on your budget.

The HLD2000 should be able to be driven by any autopilot computer provided they can supply sufficient peak current and that they have a clutch output. As other have said, that hydraulic unit is a keeper.

However the choice of autopilot computer then dictates what chartplotter or autopilot controller is required, as unfortunately you can't mix-n-match between manufacturers.

Unless you already have a NMEA 2000 network on-board that would be the first requirement for a modern autopilot system. If you already have a B&G Zeus on-board, then the easy solution would be to install a NAC-3. It will connect directly to your existing HDL2000.

Although the NAC-3 has a virtual rudder feedback, it will also connect to either a NMEA 2000 or frequency based rudder feedback sensor (RF 25 and RF300 respectively). I think you would already have a RF300?

The other item to consider is the compass, as you may need to also purchase a suitable NMEA 2000 compass (eg. B&G Precision 9, Furuno SCX20). I don't think your existing compass is supported by a NAC-3

You can also investigate the other vendors (Raymarine, Garmin, Furuno), in general their processor units support both reversing pumps and clutches. But they may not support your rudder feedback unit and may only support a proprietary compass.

BTW an inexpensive option that may be worth investigating is the recently announced Yacht Devices YDAP-04. On paper it looks interesting.

Ultimately you may find it less expensive and easier to repair your existing unit (On this thread there are some references for Robertson repairers) or find a second-hand replacement on e-bay.

Note I have no commercial interests in any of the above solutions.

Good luck.
Thanks very much.Stevead and Donradcliff
Thats a lot of information.
I believe that the B&G Zeus has a NMEA2000 and also a NMEA 0183 Port (labeled VIDEO)providîng both input and Output.would not that allow it connect directly to the j300x?
Unfortunetly my boat is more than 50ft and
Displaces 45000 pound so I believe that this discarts the YDAP 04 exept if there is a way to «*power it up*»
As you say the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to buy a AP 3OO display but IWould loose all the wind pilot options that I have with the B&G.
I’ll apreciate any cost efective recomendation

NB I’ve been looking all day for the fluxgate compass but I cannot find it!

Thanks again
Old 18-04-2024, 02:33   #8

I'm reasonably sure that in your current setup with the HLD2000 hydraulic drive , J300x junction unit you will still require either a AP300CX, AP300PX or AP300DLX controller.

They physically connect to the J300x with the Robnet cable to engage the autopilot (change modes from Standby, Auto, Nav, Wind), and provide the heading adjustments.

The B&G does control autopilots, however only via NMEA 2000 meaning NAC-2, NAC-3 and possibly any of the Simnet ones such as the AC12 & AC42. (Simnet is just NMEA 2000 with different connectors)

Your B&G Zeus does have NMEA 183 in/out as you mentioned. If it is connected to the NMEA port on the J300X, then it should be able to provide the HDG sentence when the autopilot is in Auto mode, MWV sentence when the autopilot is in Wind mode and the APB, XTE & RMB sentences when in Nav mode.

Note that generation of these sentences requires the respective NMEA 2000 sensors (compass & wind). My one concern would be whether the output rate of the HDG sentence is sufficient for the J300X as normally it is connected directly to a RFC35 compass. Normally the output rate of a NMEA 2000 compass is 10Hz which is sufficient for an autopilot, but I'm not sure whether the Zeus converts and transmits the NMEA 183 HDG sentence at the same rate.

To be brutally honest the cheapest and simplest option would be to either repair or replace your controller. Some repairers are listed in this thread

I believe you could also use any of the AP 20,21 & 22 controllers, but you may have to update the EPROM in the J300X to I think V1R8.

Long term solution would be to replace your J300X with the NAC-3, together with a NMEA 2000 heading sensor. I'm reasonably sure you can use your existing RF300 Rudder Feedback with the NAC-3. I don't know what Wind sensor you currently have, but I'm guessing because you mentioned Zeus and Wind steering together, I presume you have a NMEA 2000 wind sensor.
stevead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2024, 03:45   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW:
Kongsberg Simrad Robertson AP300X Series Instruction Manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/18...0x-Series.html
https://www.scribd.com/document/4566...bertson-AP300X

Simrad HLD2000 MK2L Hydraulic Linear Drive Manual
Behind paywall ➥ https://marine-electronics-manuals.c...?url=pil_sim61