Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2016, 08:20   #1

Boat: Swan 432
Replacing B&G Depth/Speed Sensor with New Triton DST

We are adding a display at the helm and replacing some outdated B&G stuff. The mast is not coming down at this time so we are holding off replacing the wind sensor until later this year. The installer probably will not be at the boat for another month due to the weather. I have not elected to replace the depth/speed sensor yet because the yard thought I would need a new thru hull. Has anyone replaced an old b&G analog paddle wheel with a new Triton DST sensor? I have found that the old sensor was 31mm but cannot find specs on the new stuff. If the new sensor will fit without having to replace the thru hull I will have that replaced now. Otherwise I am going to replace the thru hull when the boat is hauled at end of the summer and I have the bottom painted. Thanks.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 17:28   #2

Boat: IP 40
Re: Replacing B&G Depth/Speed Sensor with New Triton DST

Was just wondering the same thing, what did you end up doing?
Old 12-04-2016, 11:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post
Was just wondering the same thing, what did you end up doing?
The installer said that a new thru hull would be needed. I decided to wait until later in the fall when we have the mast dropped to replace the standing rigging. At that point we will add new wind/speed/temp/depth sensors and replace the thru-hull.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:24   #4

What type of transducer or B & G instruments you have today?
dietervoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:34   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

You can buy a accuse se converter from your old b&g analog to nmea 0183 and make it work. I also think your mast head unit will work as well.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 18:03   #6

Boat: Liberty 458

We're about to replace all our Datamarine instruments and thru hull sensors with B&G.

The wind sensor is near end of life, the speed sensor is intermittent and the apparent wind reading inoperative. Simple decision to replace the lot.

The speed sensor is already in a 2" thru hull but its angle from the vertical is too great for the B&G forwardscan sonar.

We're going to replace both sensors with new 2" thru hulls and the removable B&G sensors. Haulout and bottom required.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 18:06   #7

I put a bng nmea2000 dst in a few months ago into in existing non flapper thru hull. It came with 2 different size o rings in the package. One for older non flapper thru hulls.

If your current stuff is working just feed to new screws?...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 18:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
I put a bng nmea2000 dst in a few months ago into in existing non flapper thru hull. It came with 2 different size o rings in the package. One for older non flapper thru hulls.

If your current stuff is working just feed to new screws?...
Feed to new screws?
Old 12-05-2016, 18:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7 View Post
You can buy a accuse se converter from your old b&g analog to nmea 0183 and make it work. I also think your mast head unit will work as well.
Accuse se converter? Nothing turns up in a Google search.
Old 12-05-2016, 19:15   #10

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I replaced my old DataMarine units with B&G a couple years ago. You will need to remove the sender and the associated thru-hull sleeve.

In my case, the existing thru-hull opening (hole diameter) was very close to that required by the new B&G. I simply added some thickened epoxy to the sides of the existing hole, allowed to cure, and reamed out to accommodate the new thru-hull sleeve for the B&G (actually Airmar) sending unit.

Easy Peasy, but boat must be hauled.

By the way, the Triton displays are great
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 06:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
I replaced my old DataMarine units with B&G a couple years ago. You will need to remove the sender and the associated thru-hull sleeve.

In my case, the existing thru-hull opening (hole diameter) was very close to that required by the new B&G. I simply added some thickened epoxy to the sides of the existing hole, allowed to cure, and reamed out to accommodate the new thru-hull sleeve for the B&G (actually Airmar) sending unit.

Easy Peasy, but boat must be hauled.

By the way, the Triton displays are great
Just did a quick sea trial yesterday for the chartplotter/AIS installation. The tech looked at the existing sensors and said that a new sleeve would be needed but no fiberglass work.
Old 14-05-2016, 11:42   #12

This it right.
That's why I asked: What type of transducer or B & G instruments you have today?
The new model fits the old housing changing the inner tube that supports the valve.
dietervoegeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 12:03   #13

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
We are adding a display at the helm and replacing some outdated B&G stuff. The mast is not coming down at this time so we are holding off replacing the wind sensor until later this year. The installer probably will not be at the boat for another month due to the weather. I have not elected to replace the depth/speed sensor yet because the yard thought I would need a new thru hull. Has anyone replaced an old b&G analog paddle wheel with a new Triton DST sensor? I have found that the old sensor was 31mm but cannot find specs on the new stuff. If the new sensor will fit without having to replace the thru hull I will have that replaced now. Otherwise I am going to replace the thru hull when the boat is hauled at end of the summer and I have the bottom painted. Thanks.
We are replacing two thru hulls. The forward original datamarine speed sensor for a B&G ForwardScan sonar sensor. The existing thru hull is the right size but its angle from the vertical is too great.

The midships original depth sensor will be fitted with the B&G DST sensor. Its currently faired and epoxied in so will need a newbthru hull installed.

The wind sensor atop the mast and its cable and thenradar is also being replaced.

Doing the upgrade piecemeal is asking for trouble. As is adding in adapters, translators and any other type of converter.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 09:11   #14

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
I replaced a B&G Network system with the B&G Triton Sail package and a couple of extra Triton displays (3 total displays in the cockpit). I was able to reuse the thru holes for the new paddle wheel speed probe and the depth/sea temp probe.

The B&G Network system replaced the original Datamarine system and I don't remember replacing the thru holes then but that upgrade was done in the fall of 2000 so I my memory is not so clear.

Regards
Marc
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37
MarcHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 20:24   #15

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 "Voyageur"

Done after fall haul-out. The Airmar drawings show that the old and new units are of equal outside diameter, which is true. However, the inside diameter for the DST-800 is larger than for the analog sensor, so it's not a direct "plug 'n go". But you need not enlarge the hole in the hull. Just remember to use plenty of 3M 4200 when inserting and finishing the new thru-hull cylinder.
so34chi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth