Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2023, 20:46   #1

Boat: Passport 47
remote vhf that makes use of masthead ant?

First things first, apologies if this has already been addressed in a previous thread, I couldn't find anything.
My question is this. I believe one of the major electronics brands has a VHF package where there is a main radio plus a wireless remote handset and both use the masthead antenna. The key is wireless as I am very familiar with the common setup of having a radio down in the cabin and a wired handset out at the helm with a coiled cord. Does anyone have the wireless remote handset? If so, any pros/cons and who makes it? Thanks all.
ThaidUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 21:33   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: remote vhf that makes use of masthead ant?

How about this?

https://www.westmarine.com/bg-h60-wi...-19294743.html
Old 28-09-2023, 06:54   #3

Boat: Passport 47

Thank you, any experience with one of these?
ThaidUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 07:12   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

The high end Standard Horizon units support wireless handsets as well. Not sure how good they are though, I've only used the wired remotes with their newer gear.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 07:16   #5

Or the Vesper, now Garmin, Cortex setup:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/893523/pn/010-02816-10

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/902858

Does so much more than VHF, if that is what you want. Also has all the tech glitches of a system with more components and more software layers.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 09:36   #6

Boat: Tartan 3800

It's still cutting edge. B&G just did a melt and repour on their VHF offerings. Expensive. I believe they use the 2 GHz WiFi band for the wireless connection between the handheld and the console unit. Their previous attempt used the 900 MHz industrial band.

The 2 GHz WiFi band is extremely crowded which could lead to interference problems between the handset and the base. I'm not sure I would trust it completely in congested coastal or inland areas.

As for the Cortex, after reading about some of the real-world stories about the problems posed by the integration of so many functions into one device, I have lost interest.
Old 28-09-2023, 10:19   #7

Boat: Najad 400

We went for a basic fully functional fixed VHF and a seperate ICOM IC-M93D. ...better utility than a fixed unit with remote handset. Would that work for you?

If it wasn't for the fact the fixed unit was already in the boat and installed with the AIS switch we wouldn't bother with the fixed unit. It's rarely turned on at all.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 11:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeasy123 View Post
If it wasn't for the fact the fixed unit was already in the boat and installed with the AIS switch we wouldn't bother with the fixed unit. It's rarely turned on at all.

In any other situation where there are high winds and heavy seas it is nearly impossible to hear and be heard on a cockpit VHF installation.
Old 28-09-2023, 11:45   #9

Boat: Najad 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
In any other situation where there are high winds and heavy seas it is nearly impossible to hear and be heard on a cockpit VHF installation.
Not true. As it happens I'm hard of hearing. That's the main reason I bought the handheld. I can stick it to my ear where ever I am. And not a problem with background noise. ...can't do that with a fix unit.
goeasy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 12:54   #10

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

We have one of the earlier H50 wireless handsets that goes with our B&G V50 fixed VHF radio. [Navico brand] It has always worked very well since installed [and after the last firmware update in 2017.]

We also have a back-up fixed VHF ICOM radio [wired to a separate battery bank; and with a separate antenna on the mizzen mast] with a Command [wired remote] mike at the outside helm.

Added: Both of above are 25w radios with separate mast head antennas.

Additionally, we have hand held VHF radios [6w; one on each PFD] with remote mikes [which are also speakers] Mount the mike on top of your shoulder [think police officer] to hear and transmit without having to hold mike. Very handy in sporty conditions.

This combination suits our needs well.

In case any of this is of interest.

Cheers, Bill
Old 30-09-2023, 13:15   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We have a Simrad we like. Wireless remote. Charges in the cradle. Looks like an older model, but might find one out there.

https://defender.com/assets/legacy-d...5_Brochure.pdf
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 13:58   #12

We never considered a wireless vhf handset. We frequently sail for way more than one battery charge would take us, and losing the cockpit radio functionality to recharge the handset is simply unacceptable.

I also don’t understand why it’s better than the wired remote mic. No matter wired or wireless the mic will be stored in the same place. On our boat that is within arm’s reach of the watchstander. I guess if you are intimidated by running wires…

We have a black box radio with no control head below, only the (wired) handset in the cockpit.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 18:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
We never considered a wireless vhf handset. We frequently sail for way more than one battery charge would take us, and losing the cockpit radio functionality to recharge the handset is simply unacceptable.

You can either get two handsets or put one of the inductive chargers in the cockpit. The charger only requires 12v, not a specialized cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
I also don’t understand why it’s better than the wired remote mic.

1) Installation complexity
2) The lifetime of wired remote mics is ordinarily limited by the life of the connectors
3) Ability to use the handset in any position on the boat, not just the cockpit.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:40   #14

One big advantage that many don't consider of a wired remote mic in the cockpit verse the wireless is if you drop it - a wired remote cockpit mic won't do the perfect bounce overboard.

This would normally happen when you need it the most.
Nealnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 07:12   #15

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaidUp View Post
Thank you, any experience with one of these?
We have two B&G H50s and one V50. The handhelds can be used as walkie-talkies so the bow can speak to the helm and can also use transmit normal VHF via the base. We like the setup.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast, remote, vhf