Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2023, 07:17   #16

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: remote vhf that makes use of masthead ant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealnj View Post
One big advantage that many don't consider of a wired remote mic in the cockpit verse the wireless is if you drop it - a wired remote cockpit mic won't do the perfect bounce overboard.

This would normally happen when you need it the most.

You can put a tether on a wireless mic if you really want.
Old 09-10-2023, 10:10   #17

Boat: Tartan 3500

A Uniden Polaris vhf with a WHAM remote gives full functionality to the wireless remote just like a hand held VHF but works through the main set so uses the mast head antenna. I have one a good solution.
SailBobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 12:21   #18

I have the Vesper Cortex wireless handset setup. I love it because the unit broadcasts all my NMEA 2k info to all my handheld devices.

However!!!
The wireless handset lasts a max of 6 hours and the contacts for its cradle rusted out in less than a week. That means it won’t recharge anymore. So essentially useless. Vesper (Garmin) told me to buy a new cradle.

So I like the system but would only buy it with the handheld WIRED option.

There are plenty of other ways to charge things now that would be more reliable
X Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 12:46   #19

I have the B&G with the wireless remote. My brief experience: It is in the cradle most of the time, so running out of juice is not a big concern. Losing it overboard is more worrisome. It uses 802.11bgn to communicate with the base unit. I assume that it uses the 2.4GHz band to claim the 100 meter operating distance. It works fine even with all the other WiFi devices on my boat. Well integrated with the rest of the B&G suite.

The only anomaly I have noticed is that there is a slight delay with respect to the wired handset. This is noticeable when you can hear both at the same time. It's not a killer.
Andrew Lippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2023, 04:17   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 45F5, Adams 12

I have the B&G with the wireless remote as well. I really wanted a wired remote like the Icom units, however B&G do not offer one and I want to keep to the same brand.

Charging cradle outside takes care of it being charged all the time, however I find the volume too low to hear when there is 'stuff' going on.

I can not believe there is not a tether attachment point on the remote for even a wrist strap. I worry about losing it or having it stolen if I forget to put it away.

It's ironic that I will have to drill into the belt clip to make my 'wireless' remote wired to the boat!
Leakie Marine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast, remote, vhf