Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2023, 17:01   #16

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: Remote boat monitoring rec's

The Victron Venus software on a raspberry pi works great, I followed Boathackers posts and have it all now showing up on Home Assistant.
That said I still have my Floathub on the boat and a couple Blink cameras. The boat has an always on hotspot or the FLoathub can use its own cellular connection.
That gives me battery states, bilge pump counts, GPS location, temperatures. Wind speed and other instruments can also be added.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:48   #17

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I use a camera only approach and point one at my wall mounted gages for temperature/ humidity (also sees outside for weather / intruders) and one pointed into the open bilge hatch (also good for ventilation, with a dehumidifier running)
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Starlink has made monitoring much easier (and cheaper). There’s typically no monthly charge. You simply connect Wi-Fi devices to 5e Starlink hotspot. Works everywhere in the world with no cell service

I have

Victron VRM for battery, solar panels, shore power, and bilge

Two $40:baby monitor cameras. These alert for both an intruder and unusual sounds (such as an alarm going off somewhere. You can then listen over the camera to identify the alarm. It also records video of anyone coming on the boat.

A $30 Wi-Fi temperature/humidity gauge that helps if I’m running air conditioning in a slip.

As backup I also have a vesper Corte AIS. Its monitoring is less than $200/year. I use it when anchored or moored because it shows any dragging, wind speed and direction, and water depth. You can see in a map how the boat is swinging in the harbor.
52 Starlink hot spot? I am unclear what this is, and google does not return a hit for it. Can you explain what it is?
jimellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:42   #19

Boat: Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Puget View Post
I use a camera only approach and point one at my wall mounted gages for temperature/ humidity (also sees outside for weather / intruders) and one pointed into the open bilge hatch (also good for ventilation, with a dehumidifier running)
More details please. This is my plan of action. I just havent settled on hardware yet.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 16:55   #20

I went with an old iPhone, a $17 a month SIM card and a baby monitoring app. I am in Indonesia now checking the bilge in Australia.
waltini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 23:52   #21
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lancer, 43'

Has anyone used HughesNet for linking to a security system?
Hula Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:25   #22

Boat: Moody 45DS

I went with Vircru.com. does all of that for me but no camera. works well though
Benjamin Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 05:14   #23

Boat: J/42

If you're in cellular range, I use an AT&T hotspot @ $50/mos (nighthawk) and connect a blink cam(s) to it. I charge both the blink sync and the hotspot with the load output from my Victron solar charge controller. You can put the camera(s) anywhere to monitor on demand or triggered by motion.
wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 21:52   #24
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

If you have a Victron, you can use Saillogger on it, it provides real-time tracking and automated logbook creation and maintenance. You can see the demo at https://saillogger.com/demo/

Also a Victron is capable doing a lot for your boat, see an article we wrote about it a while back: Victron Cerbo GX on Steroids

Disclaimer: I am the developer of Saillogger.

Tags
monitor, remote, boat