Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2021, 13:24   #1

Raymarine ST7000 plus spinning me full circle

Hi I have just repalced my rudder bearings and had to remove the Raymarine Auto pilot from the rudder , now with it reconnected to the rudder when auto pilot is engaged its spinning the boat (bavaria 38) into a dramtic circle

Is there any way to re-set it , the manual does not seem to discuss this ?

Any help mush appreciated

thanks
Gardan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 13:29   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Raymarine ST7000 plus spinning me full circle

Are the circles always the same direction? If so then two options:

The AP can only turn that direction (somehow the connection to turn back the other way got upset in the work).

The AP thinks it is not turning the helm when it is (if a rudder angle sensor is fitted but no longer working/working properly as a result of the rudder work).

If the circles are both directions, well, then no good ideas, I'd run the factory setup wizard again.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 13:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post

The AP can only turn that direction (somehow the connection to turn back the other way got upset in the work).

The AP thinks it is not turning the helm when it is (if a rudder angle sensor is fitted but no longer working/working properly as a result of the rudder work).

If the circles are both directions, well, then no good ideas, I'd run the factory setup wizard again.
Its just turning one way to starboard
Old 24-08-2021, 13:45   #4

Quote:

How do I run the factory set up wizard ? I'm unfamiliar with the Raymarine , only just took over the boat early this year
Old 24-08-2021, 13:47   #5

I would like to get it back to factory settings if thats possible.
I have downloaded the manual ,but at first glance cant see a 'reset to factory settings ' instruction
Old 24-08-2021, 13:50   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

The ST7000 can be used with a number of different steering systems. Wheel pilot? Hydraulic ram? Electric ram/linear drive?

And what type of "normal" steering (cable, hydraulic...)?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 13:52   #7

Quote:
The ST7000 can be used with a number of different steering systems. Wheel pilot? Hydraulic ram? Electric ram/linear drive?

And what type of "normal" steering (cable, hydraulic...)?
Cable
Old 24-08-2021, 15:47   #8

Boat: Moody 376

Check the wiring. Mine st6000 wheel drive upon install would do the same. Only to port. I had some wires that had gotten reversed. It would calibrate fine but as soon as I sea trialed it would do crazy Ivan’s... don’t recall if it was the drive unit or the rudder position sensor.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 08:20   #9

Boat: Victoire 1122

It seems you have changed the 12V + and - connections of the drive unit you have buit out and in! You have 4 wires coming from the drive unit 2x clutch and power pos / neg.
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 08:25   #10

Boat: X442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
It seems you have changed the 12V + and - connections of the drive unit you have buit out and in! You have 4 wires coming from the drive unit 2x clutch and power pos / neg.
Yes I am thinking so too. On my boat red goes to black and black goes to red. All depends on which side of the rudder stock the drive is acting. Try reversing and see what happens, won't damage anything.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 08:42   #11

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

Is there a tech help phone number? My manual had a number hand written that was then crossed out. My ST4000 tillerpilot(Autohelm)recently failed, the compass no longer showing accurate headings, off by 30 and unable to hold even that direction. Fortunately, the mizzen allows for pretty steady headings once balanced.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 09:05   #12

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Agree do the dockside & sea trial set up per the manual.
If the AP still turns hard over (one way) when you go “auto”, then most likely you have inadvertently reversed the inputs from rudder sensor to the AP.
Eg: The AP moves the rudder to correct the heading to STBD. The rudder sensor (being hooked up backwards) tells AP that the rudder is correcting to PT so the AP dials in more STBD rudder until it hits the stops, so you turn in tight circles.
Old 25-08-2021, 09:19   #13
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Something is wrong with your rudder position indicator. It likely got disconnected or moved when you worked on your Rudder. The RPI looks like 6 inch wire wand over a Rheostat and it rides on your steering to give a position to the auto pilot via simple wire.
Old 25-08-2021, 10:14   #14

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

Gardan, The exact same thing happened to me after I installed the ST7000. My old autopilot went tango uniform in the middle of the night entering the channel into Eureka, California. I laid over a week waiting for delivery of the ST7000 and it worked fine until I left Westport, Washington, where it steered hard to starboard every time I engaged it.

As weird as it sounds the solution was to move the compass unit to a location completely away from anything made of metal. When I brought up to the tech on the phone it had worked fine for several hundred nautical miles, he told me it wasn't uncommon for the unit to react to nearby metal due to changes in temperature, atmospheric pressure, etc. so I installed the head unit on a bulkhead under the nav station-away from all metal-and it's been fine ever since. I just have to remember to not place any large metal objects in the drawer above the unit. It's apparently pretty sensitive. BTW I previously had it mounted too close to my manual bilge pump in a cockpit locker.
CommodoreDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 10:48   #15

Thank you for all those suggestions I can have a go at them next week when I'm down at the boat in Sunny(lol) Wales UK .
Thanks Chaps

Tags
marine, raymarine