Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2014, 11:42   #1

Boat: Hardin Voyager 45 -
Raymarine EV 4000 with M81202 linear drive

I hope this is the right forum and I can get some advice. I posted this before but I believe the wrong forum

I just purchased a Raymarine EV4000 sail pilot with a M81202 hydraulic autopilot and ram drive system, based on what was recommended for a boat my size with hydraulic steering.

After receiving the package, I read the manual and it specifically says 'for mechanical steering.'

Raymarine tells me this is a stand alone system and works independent of the present steering. The hydraulic piston is mounted on the opposite side of the steering piston. For some reason that doesn't sound right. The steering piston can move the AP piston, but can the AP piston move the steering piston.

I know the AP has a clutch so when not powered up it's in idle so the steering cylinder can push against the AP cylinder.

If anyone has a similar set-up I'd like to know how it works.

Ian
S/V Blythe Spirit
Panama, Panama
blythespirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linear drive, marine, raymarine