Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2018, 07:08   #1

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Rating and reviewing streaming services

I thought I would start a thread dedicated to the various streaming apps and services that are available to cruisers.

Here are my opinions of the services that we have tried out so far.

1. Netflix: the most content, the most robust app: never crashes, always remembers where you left off in mid-program, most importantly it will stream when others won’t albeit at lower resolution. Allows downloads to watch later

2. Hulu: decent level of content, more current than Netflix, fairly robust once it decides it has enough bandwidth to stream. No downloads

3. BritBox: good content if you like BBC mysteries and comedies. Fairly robust, but wants more bandwidth than Netflix. No downloads

4. AcornTV: only useful if you like a specific show that only they carry. Fairly robust, but not as stable as Netflix, no downloads

5. Amazon Prime: free with Prime membership, zero interesting content IMHO. Allows downloads

6. PBS: least robust app, good amount of content, no downloads

7. Starz: good content, fairly robust, allows downloads
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 09:11   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Re: Rating and reviewing streaming services

ATT has a Watch TV app for people who have one of their unlimited plans. Stream for free and you get to pick one premium channel for free. Not a great interface but serviceable and seems to work well. I have Showtime.
The biggest thing now about mobile TV is that you probably are just going to buy the service that has the shows you want to watch. The Americans are on Prime, Ozarks is on Netflix, This Old House is on PBS, Homeland on Showtime. Fortunately we gave up TV for many years before cruising so we have just started watching a few shows at anchor and they seem to be all over the board.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 06:37   #3
cruiser

Re: Rating and reviewing streaming services

I love Netflix. But you should test out different premium movies streaming sites. They all give you at least a week trial, and Hulu gives a month if you ask for it. If you cancel within the trial period , you shouldn't be charged. At least I wasn't
Sam8989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service