Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 14:44   #1

Raspberry Pi 4 and Open plotter, What can it handle?

I want to get weather fax and AIS on open plotter.

In my research I found people recommending the RPI4 4gig ram just for weatherfax because of the computing requirements of the SDR software.

Can the RPI 4 run AIS, USB GPS, Headless via wifi, Autopilot commands, etc all at once?

Also, I have can a single SDR be configured to pause AIS and run weatherfax in openplotter or will I need to manually stop AIS, change the settings for weatherfax and run weatherfax? Not a big deal, but I hadn't seen it covered before.
TeddyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 14:50   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Raspberry Pi 4 and Open plotter, What can it handle?

Wait a few days.....
SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2

Quote:
We are close to finish the SDR-VHF app with new amazing tools...

- Multiple SDR devices simultaneously
- Improved and unified calibration process for all tools
- AIS
- GQRX (listen to all marine band radio voice and more)
- DAB (digital radio reception)
- ADS-B (like AIS but for planes!)
- DVB-T (watch digital TV)

You can use a VHF antenna to get all of this but building a specific antenna for every type will improve reception.

I will try to publish a new beta this weekend Smile
Good chance the Pi 4 could easily cope with all you mention but might struggle is using an RTL dongle for AIS and another SDR reciever for weatherfax. Though for something as useful as AIS it would be well worth considering an external receiver, some cheap options out there,
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 20:46   #3

I guess I got lucky! Thank you.
TeddyCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 16:03   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 running an AIS / Chart Plotter with nmea data coming off my SH 2200.

I have a backup USB GPS Dongle hooked up also.

It can do WiFi also.

As far as autopilot, openplotter has the pypilot software that comes with the download

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 16:25   #5
cruiser

SDR app published >
SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2
Will give it a go today, see if it works with a fun cube dongle. Pi3 would just cope with GQRX, interesting listening across the spectrum controlled from anywhere on the boat, my setup has a hifiberry so sound from the pi goes through hifi speakers in the main cabin.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:17   #6

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyCruiser View Post
First, kudos for not going down the grib rabbit hole. Synoptic charts over weather fax are the way to go.

In my experience the radio performance of SDR dongles is poor. I use a Tecsun PL880 with an audio line to JVCOMM32 under Windows. I've used Black Cat on MacOS. There has to be something that runs on the Pi.

Incidentally I use a dAISy2 for AIS. Again, better radio.

I have a couple of SDR dongles that I desperately want to perform so I can carry less weight in my delivery go-kit. I'm motivated. I'm not giving up performance for convenience.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:41   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyCruiser View Post

In my research I found people recommending the RPI4 4gig ram just for weatherfax because of the computing requirements of the SDR software.

Can the RPI 4 run AIS, USB GPS, Headless via wifi, Autopilot commands, etc all at once?

Also, I have can a single SDR be configured to pause AIS and run weatherfax in openplotter or will I need to manually stop AIS, change the settings for weatherfax and run weatherfax? Not a big deal, but I hadn't seen it covered before.

We run a 3B and can run the AIS, GPS, autopilot commands (pypilot w/pi zero w), etc. all at once, no problem.
Tried to set up the SDR dongle of the a separate 3B for weatherfax reception and it didn't work well. The SDR/ssb pi needed its own pi due to amounts of cpu needed to run the programing. Could have been the software, since the SDRSharp programing (windows based) would work. Reception/tuning was better and the fax download was good.
Either you need a better program to set up the SDR radio to receive the signals better or purchase a dedicated SSB. I was tired of getting no where w/the pi SDR project, so purchased a used ssb instead.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:19   #8

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

In my experience the radio performance of SDR dongles is poor. I use a Tecsun PL880 with an audio line to JVCOMM32 under Windows. I've used Black Cat on MacOS. There has to be something that runs on the Pi.

Incidentally I use a dAISy2 for AIS. Again, better radio.

I'd love to see that if you have a diagram. Also I have the 880 and have an issue with it turning on by itself at odd times, Any thoughts?
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:25   #9

I have the openplotter running now for two years on my Lagoon 380. very nice and reliable. AIS comes from external AIS transmitterby USB. Also provides Navionics tablet with AIS data.
Download grib by IridiumGO and put in the pi
RobinHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:30   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
In my experience the radio performance of SDR dongles is poor.......... Any thoughts?
Thoughts - which dongles? If you're using dongles which aren't very good then of course performance isn't very good. In my experience the fun cube dongle Pro plus is an exceptional radio receiver. Other very good receivers out there, but a few dollars on a TV dongle and up converter will pick up stuff but will not be great.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:35   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We run a 3B and can run the AIS, GPS, autopilot commands (pypilot w/pi zero w), etc. all at once, no problem.
Tried to set up the SDR dongle of the a separate 3B for weatherfax reception and it didn't work well. The SDR/ssb pi needed its own pi due to amounts of cpu needed to run the programing. Could have been the software, since the SDRSharp programing (windows based) would work. Reception/tuning was better and the fax download was good.
Either you need a better program to set up the SDR radio to receive the signals better or purchase a dedicated SSB. I was tired of getting no where w/the pi SDR project, so purchased a used ssb instead.
I had good results receiving wfax recording the output from a fun cube dongle direct to a file on a pi then decoding that afterwards in jvcom on a laptop. Can't remember right now the process but from memory it was gqrx on the Pi. Pi4 might well cope with decoding live.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:17   #12

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
I'd love to see that if you have a diagram. Also I have the 880 and have an issue with it turning on by itself at odd times, Any thoughts?
I'm out on delivery and a little busy. Could you drop me an email so it goes in my work queue when I get home? dave@auspiciousworks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
I have the openplotter running now for two years on my Lagoon 380. very nice and reliable. AIS comes from external AIS transmitterby USB. Also provides Navionics tablet with AIS data.
Download grib by IridiumGO and put in the pi
Gribs are just not a good choice for weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Thoughts - which dongles?
I've been through three or four. If you have one with stable USB drivers that can match the Tecsun PL-880 for sensitivity and selectivity I'm in. If you can match an R-75 I'll hug you.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote