Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-05-2013, 08:09   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Please turn your AIS off when docked/moored/anchored

To address several issues

Quote:
here would be no way I would rely my class B signal to help a commercial ship navigate around me - therefore whether I had a transponder or not was not an issue. I can always see that commercial ship and take full responsibility for staying well away from it no matter its intentions.
Well that isnt the COLREGS approach, and AIS always is a "Help". Thats all it is really a, an "aid". It does not substitute for good seamanship.

Quote:
I have described TWO situations (within a couple of days). One was sailing by NYC (at about midnight) where my AIS was only able to transmit about half of its scheduled messages - that would seem very clearly to imply that class B IS near its technical limits in some particularly crowded areas.
CLass A can be managed control access and has inbuilt methods to reuse slots etc, or slot accessed can be controlled by a controlling station. Also CLass A has the concept of physical transitional boundaries where automatically Class A changes access methodology ( CLass A has SOTDMA, ITDMA, RATDMA, FATDMA as access methods!), change.

Its also worth noting that the technicals provisions are there for CLass B 'SO' transceivers to also participate in the Self Organised TDMA access methodologies. Im not sure if there are any CLass B 'SO's out there.

Hence Evans , given the nature of CLass B 'CS" ie CSMA-TDMA. IN essence this means that (a) it can only use one slot, (b) it only seeks out a free slot by sensing activity in that slot. (c) the local 'competent' authority can control class B 'CS' in its area of operation , in essence giving higher priority to CLASS A and hence lower to Class B 'CS'.

Furthermore since CLASS B is subservient to class A, in areas of high Class A activity , class B 'CS; is designed to essentially 'fail'

Hence in high density areas several issues can combine to prevent your Class B 'CS' device from transmitting

1. The presence of large number of Class A devices,

2. The presence of large numbers of Class B devices

3. The commands being sent from the base stations. ( including Quiet commands, that essentially shut down Class B, or reduced interval reporting commands )

4. The inherent construction of the Class B protocol, ie a total of only 10 Candidate periods out of the whole available Transmission Interval.

What this means Evans is that CLass B was designed to be overloaded and to in effect stop working. Thats not a fault of the system.

Furthermore, merely reducing the number of class B units transmitting does in fact not guarantee that your class B unit would in fact get through any better. in a large port area, there simply maybe no ( or few) Candidate periods available for CLass B 'CS to transmit in. This is by design.

So to summarise, Class B 'CS' is not designed to work well in areas of high traffic, it is expendable in such situations.

what we need are class B 'SO' sets to arrive!

dave

Tags
ais