Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 19:16   #1

Boat: Tanton 43 Cat Ketch
Operating Ham Radio - Foreign

I am fixing to sit for my Tech & Gen ham license and I've read that you must file for an operating permit in 'some' countries (when in foreign waters). Curious if anyone has had any experience with this.
svOhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 20:53   #2

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
I have, only land based anyway.
If you want more info try this site. Lots of good info.
International Operating

Some countries, like most of Europe, will allow you to operate with their prefix before your own call. Others will require you to get a full licence. Just look at the site and find the information for the countries you intend to visit.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 21:10   #3

Thanks

Thanks Dan!
Old 06-12-2010, 01:56   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day all,

Many countries now do not require a reciprocal license for hams on boats who only want to operate from their boat. If you want to operate a land based station a reciprocal may be required.

As mentioned above, it pays to investigate the situation for each place you visit.

Cheers and 73

Jim N9GFT/VK4GFT (see, I did get a reciprocal!)
Old 06-12-2010, 04:06   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Generally CEPT licence countries recognise each others license

Dave
Old 06-12-2010, 06:15   #6

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
I operated from my boat in Europe (Sweden, Skagerak, North Sea, UK waters, Azores) under CEPT. I printed and carried the CEPT credentials referred to in the ARRL link above. For the Bahamas and BVI there are reciprocal licenses required. I keep my original ham licenses and the CEPT credentials in the same binder I have all other boat documentation in. No one has ever asked to see the paperwork.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:50   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to Sheriff
Visitors holding amateur radio licences may obtain the privilege of operating their ham radios in Trinidad & Tobago. Amateur radio operators that are citizens of signatories of the International Amateur Radio Permit (IARP) may operate in Trinidad without obtaining a reciprocal license in Trinidad and Tobago. The IARP signatories are Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago, USA, Uruguay, and Venezuela. Operators from these member countries should use the “9Y4 slash” identifier before your full country call sign. Amateur radio operators that are citizens of signatories of the European Union CEPT Agreement or not included in the IARP agreement must obtain a reciprocal privilege to operate in Trinidad & Tobago.
US hams can operate in Trinidad & Tobago according to the privileges of their License Class. Technician Class can operate on 2 meter but cannot use HF. An International Amateur Radio Permit (IARP) can only be obtained from the ARRL in the USA.
To obtain a reciprocal privilege to operate in Trinidad and Tobago one must present an original amateur radio licence (with copy), a passport (with a copy of the identification page), and a description of the radio equipment to Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (T.A.T.T)

Trinidad and Tobago Amateur Radio Society (TTARS)
Meetings are held at Boy Scout Headquarters, St. Ann’s, Trinidad, West Indies. Visitors are invited to stop in on Sunday mornings 9:30 to 10:30.
URL: http://www.ttars.org
Sheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:31   #8

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
From qsl.net: Info on reciprocal HAM in Bahamas:

New Bahamas reciprocal rules now in effect:
Richard Long, W4AKE/C6AKE reports that the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) in the Bahamas has taken over responsibility for radio licensing.
He said renewing a valid reciprocal license requires sending your license and an International Money Order for now $25.00 per year.
He says that if the latest payment was not recorded on the back of the license, you should include a copy of that receipt. He recommends keeping a copy of your license (front and back) plus any receipts you send.
To apply for a new Bahamian amateur reciprocal license, send a copy of your valid US license, a copy of identification (passport photo page, birth certificate), a letter of request, and an International Money Order for $25. Allow one to three months for processing and mailing.
You may only renew by mail or in person in Nassau; there are no PUC offices in the family islands.
The Nassau PUC office is at Agape House, fourth terrace east off Collins Avenue on the south side of the ridge, south of Doctors Hospital,
tel 242-322-4437/9;
fax 242-323-7288.
Ask for the Radio Licensing Department. The mailing address is:

Executive Director and Secretary
Public Utilities Commission
P O Box N.4860
Nassau
Bahamas
ATTN: Chizelle A. Whymms, Senior clerk/Technical
E-mail: Puc@Pucbahamas.gov.bs
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:55   #9

www.tatt.org.tt
Old 06-12-2010, 17:35   #10

Some great info

Some really great information. I really appreciate it! Looks like I'll be keeping a close eye on time, and staying ahead (with requests) so that there aren't any delays on our arrivals.
Old 06-12-2010, 18:21   #11

roger roger
Old 07-12-2010, 13:31   #12

Boat: Catalina 470
CEPT, Reciprocal, etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by svOhana View Post
I am fixing to sit for my Tech & Gen ham license and I've read that you must file for an operating permit in 'some' countrie
svOhana,
I'm glad you're taking the time to learn (and ask questions), and I do wish you good luck in you exams....

But, please understand that many countries (CEPT, European, etc.) do NOT grant operating privilages (or very limited privilages) to Tech or General Class US-Licensed Hams.....

Most CEPT countries only grant operating privilages to Extra Class (or old Advanced Class) Licensees....

There was a thread on this subject recently....
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post573088

Quote:
Under the CEPT agreement, US Amateurs need to bring three things when traveling to a participating CEPT country:
1) Bring their original US license
2) Bring proof of US citizenship (generally in the form of a Passport)
3) Bring a copy of theFCC's Public Notice (this notice contains its information in three languages, English, French and German) which details what US Amateurs need to consider, and bring with them, when traveling to a CEPT country.
[Note: While FCC does not state that your original hardcopy license is a document you must carry in CEPT areas, the actual CEPT agreement the US agreed to indicates that US Amateurs will possess such a document; so be sure to bring your FCC-issued original hardcopy license document when you travel and operate in CEPT areas].
Classes of license/operation. There are two levels of reciprocity with the European Community under what is known as CEPT.
Full reciprocal operating privileges are accorded to US Amateur Extra and Advanced class licensees underT/R 61-01.
Limited reciprocal operating privilileges are accorded to US General class licensees in European countries that have adopted ECC Recommendation (05)06.
There is no equivalent CEPT class for the US Technician or Novice license, therefore a US Technician or Novice licensee is not eligible to operate under CEPT reciprocity.
Quote:
US-Licensed Hams of Extra Class (or older Advanced Class) have full privilages, BUT, "General Class" US-licensed hams are NOT granted CEPT operating privilages in most countries.....(as of now the only countries that accept US "general class" hams, and grant them operating privilages are: Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, and Switzerland.)

I hope this helps....

Again, good luck!!!

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio