Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 20:04   #31

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
Re: Open source implementation of PACTOR-3 and -4

Raspberry Pi 3 Specifications

4 core 1.2GHz processor and it's It's still $35 :-)

Raspberry Pi 3 Specs.

SoC: Broadcom BCM2837
CPU: 4× ARM Cortex-A53, 1.2GHz
GPU: Broadcom VideoCore IV
RAM: 1GB LPDDR2 (900 MHz)
Networking: 10/100 Ethernet, 2.4GHz 802.11n wireless
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.1 Classic, Bluetooth Low Energy
Storage: microSD
GPIO: 40-pin header, populated
Ports: HDMI, 3.5mm analogue audio-video jack, 4× USB 2.0, Ethernet, Camera Serial Interface (CSI), Display Serial Interface (DSI)

You have the original. I have one of those too. It's a classic.

I currently use a RPI3 with a Moitessier hat running Openplotter headless. I use an ipad air 2 (has glare coating built into the screen) to VNC into the Pi using openplotters built in access point application. I can use the ipad in the cockpit or down below. The opencpn ais and anchor alarm give you peace of mind. I would be great to use the Raspberry Pi for WL2K so you can bring down Saildocs, weather fax, GRIBS and mail. Nobody has created a complete WL2K mail client for the Raspberry Pi. The closest is PAT and it is open source.

The smallest Logic Supply computers CL200G-10
uses uses 3 amps at 12v and cost $380 (w/wifi + Antennas) vs the pi at .5-.75amps (My Ampmeter reading) at 12V for the pi at $35

Try an RPI3 with openplotter. It runs fast and is a swiss army knife for this use as you can add all the GPIO extras to it. I use a US Ship Hobbywing 5V/6V 3A Switch-mode UBEC ($3) to power it.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 21:26   #32

Boat: Tartan 3800

I'll run the experiment.

The CL200 doesn't draw anything like that amount of power. If it did, it would burn up with the heat sink it has. They also have good power management and run much cooler when the CPU load is light. I think there's also a liberal reserve for USB power out. I don't believe those have Power over Ethernet (PoE), but if they do, that would be a large part of the input power budget.

If you can get a pi3 for $35 including a decent enclosure, radios, antennas, and an SD card, let me know where I can get one too for that price.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 22:11   #33

Admittedly I payed $~115 for the moitessier board.

Cost twas:
RPI3 $35 (Frys.com)
Miotessier board $115 (Sailoog.com
UBEC power supply $5 (Ebay)
Samsung 32GB SD $11 (Frys Black Fryday sale)
3D printed Case Free (Custom - Printed at public library)
Openplotter softer Free (Downloaded freeware)

What you get:
Chart Plotter
AIS overlay (2 channel)
Compass (Magnetometer built into M-board)
Pitch and roll (Accelerometers built into M-Board)
Thermometer (Thermometer is board area temperature - Built into M-board)
Barometer (Built into M-board)
Wifi Access point (Wifi built into Pi / Openplotter supported AP function)
NMEA, Signalink, SignalK, NMEA0183, KPlex, Node-Red, 1W sensors... Supported by openplotter

I run it headless. The Ipad air 2 was used for $219,... it doubles as my ereader. Non of the other ipads have built in glare coating on the screens that I know of. I'm dying for the tablets with Clearink to come out or an ereader I can drop Andriod or linux on.
Old 22-01-2019, 08:21   #34

I also wanted to mention that KM4ACK has some great videos on YouTube on how to setup PAT and associated stuff. Search for KM4ACK WL2K PAT.
Old 22-01-2019, 09:33   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by svMarite View Post
I'm fascinated by this thread - you guys are WAY over my head, as I've been away from this for years. I'm installing an Icom aboard for voice and wx fax primarily, with a digital Sat capability for limited email as the Iridium and others come more online. I don't believe the voice/data/VOIP will be available to mariners for some time at a reasonable cost that is.
What is reasonable? I currently have systems using Inmarsat with web capable (but slow) speeds that support VOIP over unlimited (in some cases) data. VOIP calling at $0.12/minute. There are so many satellite options that I think a lot of mariners/boaters don't really realize, and just go with the Iridium Go! for email because it's unlimited and everyone else has one.

If you are within 200nm of the Americas (North,Central,South, and Caribbean), an Inmarsat Fleet system is a bit more than the Iridium Go! as far as hardware and airtime, but it's still unlimited and its WAY more useful. Think of using Whatsapp, Facebook Mesenger, banking, browsing a few web sites here and there, and paying far less for voice calling compared to handsets.

Just some thoughts I had...

If you plan to use a lot of data, paying more for hardware upfront will save you TON$$$ on data usage later, and it will be significantly faster and more useful.
Old 22-01-2019, 14:32   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Jammer-
I'd love to see you do it.
I think the fellow behind Winmor is named Rick something...he and a number of collaborators were working on a Pactor-grade equivalent for something like five or ten years before they scrapped it and started over again with Winmor, so you are looking at a project where probably a dozen technically competent people worked for 10-15 years and Winmor was the best they could get.
Could be they missed something, but IIRC the Pactor folks don't really care about the civilian market, they have the NATO STANAG and the military/government market sewn up on their standard and heavily patent protected.
The issues, options, methods of doing things to compress data transmission basically go back to analogue modem days and solutions, and the folks behind Winmor today can probably save you a lot of time and effort if you ask them what issues stopped them from producing a pactor-compatible product. I suspect some of the patents apply to how specific compression schemes are used--and there would be no way to get around those while retaining compatibility, since the existing equipment will be hard coded to use them.
Then again, you might be able to find a way to boost the Winmor speeds, and bypass Pactor.
With the dropping prices and truly higher data rates of satcoms...an HF system that often actually maxes out at 300 baud (STILL, despite sometimes reaching 2400) just might make the "better mousetrap" a moot point.

Sure would be nice if you could do it, though.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 16:52   #37

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

HF is not standing still. Recently a mode called VARA, using a sound card only can reach truly impressive speeds. I'm using it for grib files and my actual speeds are 2500 to 3500 baud, which is similar to low end satellite (GO) speeds, and Pactor 3. Higher speeds have been reported. Its performance with poor signal quality is better than Winmor. Overall, VARA is a significant step forward using only a sound card. VARA is not compatible with Pactor modes, but it doesn't need to be. At each end a user needs only a sound card and the VARA software running on a connected computer, bypassing the Pactor modem.
Pitchondesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 18:02   #38
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" VARA is not compatible with Pactor modes, but it doesn't need to be. At each end a user needs only a sound card and the VARA software running on a connected computer, "

See, that's the thing. There IS an existing Pactor infrastructure (i.e. Sailmail) and anything else that is proprietary, is going to require you to have land stations set up--not just the one on your boat. That's a stopper for most potential users.
Old 22-01-2019, 19:06   #39

If you are a amateur licensed (Ham) operator, there are hundreds of VARA coast stations already in operation. The Ham infrastructure is far greater than Sailmail.
Old 23-01-2019, 12:08   #40
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Interesting, but I found next to no mention of it in the US. Very little online and no mention otherwise. Except, for complaints about the $70 licensing fee for yet another proprietary mode. Kinda like Pactor, but they license the hardware.

And no listing of coast stations, or any stations. Without knowing where they might be or how many there are, it goes back to calling the blind.
Old 23-01-2019, 14:42   #41

VARA is implemented as part of the Winlink system. Most, but not all Winlink stations support VARA. To find which stations and where they are, go to the Winlink web site, look up the map of stations, and filter by VARA. RMS Express, which is the Winlink user client program, also has the station list. If you input your position, RMS Express will find the nearest station, calculate propagation metrics for each station frequency, and provide a forecast of when the best times of the day to make a contact. It is as easy to use as SailMail.

SailMail requires Pactor, has an annual fee, and allows any traffic. Winlink VARA, requires a Ham General license, no fee, no Pactor hardware, and Ham does not allow commercial traffic. So, they are different.

It is not necessary to broadcast in the "blind" when using Winlink. The VARA developer spent 5 years attempting to improve on Winmor, and other sound card implementations. I believe he has succeeded, and I, for one, do not begrudge him the $70 license fee. Is it open source, no, but I don't care, as I'm very happy with what he has done. It is a vast improvement over other sound card implementations, and a bargain compared to Pactor.
Old 23-01-2019, 15:51   #42

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I do see the appeal of the pi but consider it a poor fit for actual use aboard. I like the Logic Supply computers -- better enclosure, more reliable SSD, dual HDMI outputs, built-in 12v power supply, better networking options including 1000baseT and wireless, better environmental specifications particularly heat tolerance.

Interesting comparison, a bit like saying I like my Ferrari better than the Fiat because it's so much faster...

It seems Logic Supply is a complete mini-PC solution ? At about 10 times the price of the pi? They don't say much about power usage in their spec sheet. Their smallest one is quoted as using 6W, which is about 8 times higher than the small pi zero with wireless...

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 09:43   #43

There is a lot to be said about the opensource world wrapped around the Pi and the 40 pin GPIO ease of access to do onboard implementations.
Old 24-01-2019, 11:10   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"SailMail requires Pactor, has an annual fee, and allows any traffic. Winlink VARA, requires a Ham General license, no fee,"

Last I'd heard, SailMail was free to licensed hams, and if they were using it via marine SSB, any traffic was allowed, same as any other user. Has that changed?

Also, hams using Winlink VARA are (unless the VARA docs missed it) still going to be throttled way down--unless they pay the license fee. If that's wrong, the VARA folks have a hole in their docs.

Winlink itself was a big thing, but there are so many competing digital products for hams now, and so many AuxCom groups have dropped it in favor of FLDigi (a primary author being of the proselytizing Gideon's Bible group injecting quaint "God Bless" type stock messages), that it remains one option--but just that. Great if it does the job for you.
Old 24-01-2019, 11:20   #45

As far as I know you can use Winmor on Sailmail. I don't know if hams can use sailmail for free, but you can use Winlink for free with winmor or pactor.

Tags
men, pactor