Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2017, 15:36   #1

Old boat but new system ( AIS and MMSI ) help

So I just bought an old boat but I have bought a whole new Raymarine Quantum Radar and Nav system. I am also getting a new radio and AIS 650 Class B Transceiver. This is my first rodeo so I am a little confused on getting an MMSI number. My boat will be a world traveler so when I go through Boat US website I click Yes on:

" Do you ever plan to take the piece of equipment for which you want an MMSI number into foreign territory or communicate with foreign ports "

It then gives a link to an FCC page for something called a Ship Station License.

Did the rest of you folks have to do this?
jwrsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 15:51   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Old boat but new system ( AIS and MMSI ) help

Quote:
Yes. In the USA, the only means of acquiring a proper MMSI is via the FCC. Their website is really opaque and kinda daunting, but that's how you do it.

Jim
Old 19-09-2017, 15:51   #3

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwrsailing View Post
So I just bought an old boat but I have bought a whole new Raymarine Quantum Radar and Nav system. I am also getting a new radio and AIS 650 Class B Transceiver. This is my first rodeo so I am a little confused on getting an MMSI number. My boat will be a world traveler so when I go through Boat US website I click Yes on:

" Do you ever plan to take the piece of equipment for which you want an MMSI number into foreign territory or communicate with foreign ports "

It then gives a link to an FCC page for something called a Ship Station License.

Yes, but it's not difficult. You just apply from the FCC page. You can file electronically. Unfortunately, the Boat US link appears outdated so here is a current one.

FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS): ULS Home

Here's a good discussion of who needs to do what.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtMmsi
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 07:20   #4

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

For some advice on obtaining an FCC SHIP STATION LICENSE see

FCC License - Moderated Discussion Areas

Also read

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...radio-stations
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 07:57   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
My boat will be a world traveler so when I go through Boat US website I click Yes on:

Yes. The BoatUS-issued MMSI is useful for travel within U.S. waters only, but for visiting foreign waters you need an FCC-issued MMSI, and a Radio Station Authorization (Class is "SA").

And you also need an operators license; Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit, also from FCC, will generally suffice.

Rummage through the FCC site for doing it all on line.

-Chris
Old 20-09-2017, 08:44   #6

I just ran into a USCG commo guy here where I work. He said the marine operators license is not needed unless your a commercial operator and that even though the FCC wants you to have a Ship Station License if you travel overseas, that with your AIS and everything else, it isn't like you are going to be harassed or hounded if you just have the BoatUS MMSI.
Old 20-09-2017, 09:14   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Yes, it's compulsory and mandatory to have MMSI NO (Ship Station Radio License) in South East Asian Waters too for your VHF, AIS, EPIRB, PLB and etc., vessels without it will not be allows to enter their territorial waters.

Cheers.....
helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 09:18   #8

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I agree the FCC's website is not that user-friendly. However, if you call them, their phone support is outstanding, in my experience - they walked me through everything very efficiently.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 09:45   #9

Timely. Just spent a few minutes this morning on the FCC site getting my stuff for the new boat. Once you've signed in, its Form 605. $220 later, but the form is relatively painless. As a poster mentioned, you can indeed get an MMSI number from other sources, but once you break free from the US, it's all but worthless and the USCG says you'll need an FCC issued number.
SailBuddaMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 09:52   #10

Well ill just try calling then and have them walk me through it.
Old 20-09-2017, 11:42   #11

I have a a BoatUS mmsi issued to my handheld vhf radio. I have changed boats and kept the radio. I also want to acquire an AIS, do I need a new mmsi, or assign the present mmsi to the AIS?
drwayne
Valiant 32
drwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 12:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwayne View Post
I have a a BoatUS mmsi issued to my handheld vhf radio. I have changed boats and kept the radio. I also want to acquire an AIS, do I need a new mmsi, or assign the present mmsi to the AIS?
drwayne
Valiant 32
Assign your new boat's fixed VHF DSC MMSI to the AIS transponder (if indeed it is a transponder). That way another vessel can call you on your fixed DSC MMSI via DSC with a pre-selected working channel
Macgregor 26X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 13:54   #13

Thank you for your response. How do I find out if the new boat has an mmsi assigned to it's fixed VHF, and if it does how do I get my handheld VHF to have the same mmsi? If I find no mmsi assigned to the fixed VHF, can I get it assigned the same mmsi as the handheld?
Once I get that squared away I can get the AIS.
drwayne
Valiant32
Eureka, CA.
drwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 16:51   #14

Boat: Luders 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwayne View Post
Thank you for your response. How do I find out if the new boat has an mmsi assigned to it's fixed VHF, and if it does how do I get my handheld VHF to have the same mmsi? If I find no mmsi assigned to the fixed VHF, can I get it assigned the same mmsi as the handheld?

Once I get that squared away I can get the AIS.

drwayne

Valiant32

Eureka, CA.

You will have to read the owners manual. All the manufactures have different ways, and some will not allow reprogramming. I think the MMSI follows the boat... but I am sure you can find that on the fcc website.

AIS transponder is always programmed at the factory.
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 20:28   #15

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman View Post
...AIS transponder is always programmed at the factory.
Not really--that is only a rule in the USA due to the FCC regulations.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, boat