Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2009, 04:03   #1

NMEA error in CMAP

Hi,
I have CMap CM93 and recently I bought a GPS for my laptop. Got it all installed but when the GPS program is started the COM port is not visible in CMap anymore (it was visible before the gps was started) and because of that CMAP is giving an NMEA error.
So CMAP is working well when GPS is off. But I need GPS for position.

Does anyone know what causes the problem and how I could solve it?

Thanks a lot,

Frits
frits40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 06:58   #2

Boat: Citation 34' Center Cockpit (Australian design and build)
Hi Frits and welcome,
Try a google search for a program called Fransons GpsGate. This program available for a small fee will give you as many virtual com ports as you are ever likely to need in both NMEA and GARMIN protocol.
Old 24-02-2009, 12:28   #3

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by frits40 View Post
Hi,
I have CMap CM93 and recently I bought a GPS for my laptop. Got it all installed but when the GPS program is started the COM port is not visible in CMap anymore (it was visible before the gps was started) and because of that CMAP is giving an NMEA error.
So CMAP is working well when GPS is off. But I need GPS for position.

Does anyone know what causes the problem and how I could solve it?

Thanks a lot,

Frits
Hi Frits - maybe a bit more background info. What OS are you using? What model GPS? How does the GPS get it's data to your laptop? What COM port are you trying to use - built in, USB derived or virtual?

Certainly Franson GpsGate will give you plenty of flexibilty in distributing your GPS data (I use it myself), but you may not need it.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 12:41   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Under Microsoft Windows you need to disconnect the GPS if connected via serial cable before you boot the machine. Then after booting connect the GPS and then power it on. if you don't the boot sequnce will detect the GPS and convince itslef that it's a mouse. Devices can not share a serial port so the first thing to grab it owns it. It won't do this if you wait. It's the source of most problems with connection. The last part are comunications options. 8 data bits, one stop bit and no parity at 4800. You may need to configure the GPS as well, but this is standard NMEA.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 19:13   #5

Boat: Privilege 39
Here's the link to Microsoft's attempt to fix the NMEA-as-mouse bug which has been around for 8 years or so (sheesh): Overview of the COMDisable Tool
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 19:22   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
That's funny Paul, because I thought I was the only one who had to boot up the computer first, for using Nobeltec, before turning on the GPS. At first that used to frustrate the hell out of me before I figured out the pattern.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 07:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhula View Post
Hi Frits - maybe a bit more background info. What OS are you using? What model GPS? How does the GPS get it's data to your laptop? What COM port are you trying to use - built in, USB derived or virtual?

Certainly Franson GpsGate will give you plenty of flexibilty in distributing your GPS data (I use it myself), but you may not need it.
OS is Windows XP SP3
GPS with USB Amaryllo, software is called Locosys GPSFox

Tried to use 3 or 7, given are 3,4,5 and 7 but 4 and 5 do not work with GPSFox program. If I use eather 3 or 7, Cmap will not see the com port anymore when GPS is active. So I can never connect to the proper port.

Would be nice if you know an answer. Thanks for the effort so far!
Frits
Old 25-02-2009, 08:41   #8

Quote:
OS is Windows XP SP3
GPS with USB Amaryllo, software is called Locosys GPSFox

Tried to use 3 or 7, given are 3,4,5 and 7 but 4 and 5 do not work with GPSFox program. If I use eather 3 or 7, Cmap will not see the com port anymore when GPS is active. So I can never connect to the proper port.

Would be nice if you know an answer. Thanks for the effort so far!
Frits
Ok Frits, have checked on the Internet & your USB GPS does provide NMEA. The GPSFox program I couldn't deciper info on as their website is in Austrian. I think that application may be your problem though. I'm guessing it's grabbing the COM port with the GPS feed & stopping C-MAP from using it.

My advice:
Plug in GPS
Got to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager
Double click "Ports (COM & LPT)" entry
Identify your GPS device in the list & note COM port it's using.
Run C-MAP (without GPSFox) & configure it to use COM port you have found above. You may have to change port speed from the default 4800 baud to match that of GPS but otherwise that should work.

Let me know the results.

If in doubt RTFM
Old 25-02-2009, 15:05   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Even simpler, you add the 'NOSERIALMICE' option to the BOOT.INI code and recent versions of Windows won't look for a serial mouse. One fast edit, no other fuss. Quick simple OLD fix.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2009, 07:41   #10

Quote:
Ok Frits, have checked on the Internet & your USB GPS does provide NMEA. The GPSFox program I couldn't deciper info on as their website is in Austrian. I think that application may be your problem though. I'm guessing it's grabbing the COM port with the GPS feed & stopping C-MAP from using it.

My advice:
Plug in GPS
Got to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager
Double click "Ports (COM & LPT)" entry
Identify your GPS device in the list & note COM port it's using.
Run C-MAP (without GPSFox) & configure it to use COM port you have found above. You may have to change port speed from the default 4800 baud to match that of GPS but otherwise that should work.

Let me know the results.
Thanks, very helpfull info! I finally understand some things now. However I still don't get it to work. I have de gps at com 7, i think it is not working because the default is 4800 baud and it should be 9600 for this gps. I can't find in C-Map were to change speed.
Do you have an idear about that?
Thanks again.

(sorry for bad language maybe, not native but dutch, you probable understood that allready)
Old 26-02-2009, 09:28   #11

Quote:
Thanks, very helpfull info! I finally understand some things now. However I still don't get it to work. I have de gps at com 7, i think it is not working because the default is 4800 baud and it should be 9600 for this gps. I can't find in C-Map were to change speed.
Do you have an idear about that?
Thanks again.

(sorry for bad language maybe, not native but dutch, you probable understood that allready)
I think you may have a problem with the very old C-MAP software. It's probably hard coded to the old default of 4800 baud but without a copy I can't say.

If possible use a newer chart plotter such as SeaClear GPS Navigation Software which is free & works with a variety of charts.

As a last resort maybe you could configure your GPS to send at 4800 baud. Check with the manufacturer.

Regards

If in doubt RTFM
Old 26-02-2009, 13:01   #12

Quote:
I think you may have a problem with the very old C-MAP software. It's probably hard coded to the old default of 4800 baud but without a copy I can't say.

If possible use a newer chart plotter such as SeaClear GPS Navigation Software which is free & works with a variety of charts.

As a last resort maybe you could configure your GPS to send at 4800 baud. Check with the manufacturer.

Regards
Hello Richard,

Thanks a lot!
I think I am going to try SeaClear. It looks interesting!
I tried the GPS to send at 4800 baud but I think it's to new for that ;-)

Regards, Frits
Old 26-02-2009, 13:50   #13

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Go into the CMAPECS folder, find the NMEA file of type configuration settings, and open it (should open with notepad).

Look for

[CHANNELS]
IN0=COM4: baud=4800 parity=N data=8 stop=1
[TALKERS]
GP0=NA,P|1,RMC

Change the com port number and baud rate as necessary and resave it, then open CMAP again.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea