Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2009, 23:24   #1

Boat: 122 year old Historical Sailing vessel
Nav screen remote

Trying to sort out how to use one of the small auto type DVD screens as a repeater for my navigation screen. I use a computer not one of the fancy systems, The fact these things are 12VDC helps. Does any one know how I could "twin screen" connect one up? Trying to solve a problem so any ideas for this or other solutions welcome. Always open to a better idea but please no "marine" stuff.
H/V Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 14:29   #2

Boat: Pearson 303
Send a message via Skype™ to PaulM
Nav Screen Repeater

Great idea. I am in the process of doing exactly what you suggest. I purchased a 12 Volt MobileVue Touch Screen monitor off Ebay. I still need to find the correct driver for it.

PaulM
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 15:45   #3

That is basicly my idea also. Most of us have great monitors at the chart table but are in the muck when we need one on deck..... as in trying a tricky channel and the like. Just seemed a good idea so hoped some electronic guru would chip in here with ideas how to connect it up. I use Mac computers on my boat and at work so they are usually pretty user friendly in this sense. Not like windows where they try and make it hard for us to do anything "out of the box"
Old 19-03-2009, 08:55   #4

Boat: Pearson 303
Send a message via Skype™ to PaulM
Thumbs up Nav Screen Repeater

I found the right driver and was able to get my touch screen working on the bench. Worked great after a little tweeking. Now I need to install on the boat. The MobileVu 10.4 " is nice in the fact that is rugged and has a non-glare screen, but it is on the heavy side and a bit power hungry.

PaulM
P303, #224
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 11:26   #5

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
remote nav svreen

Here is what I have done. I have a laptop to which I connected a GPS mouse (25 Bucks on ebay). I use some chart program I bought on ebay (10 bucks) Seaclear I think. Has All NOA charts on disc. I Use the S video output on laptop to send video to small water proof TV I bought on Ebay (Pyle $120 bucks) mounted in cockpit near wheel.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 11:48   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Would using a computer with two video ports and setting Windows to dual monitor work? I don't mean the Windows setting where you put two monitors side by side and split the screen. I mean the setting where you get duplicate images out of each video port.

You could also use a KVM switch to switch between the two monitors.

There are also video splitters available if you have only one video port on your computer.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 20:11   #7

Nav Screen repeater

This is starting to look more promising after all. Any idea where to nick the driver? Is it a generic driver or will I need a special one? The idea of entering an unknown anchorage with a bit of ready reference in sight is comforting to say the least. Don't want to know how many run aground while down below waiting for the monster to wake up..... Any more ideas???
Old 19-03-2009, 20:44   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Drivers tend to come from only two places: The equipment maker, and the OS maker.

If you are using a conventional monitor (sold as a monitor, not a car media screen) then it plugs into the external monitor port of your computer and, if it is at all standard, the OS detects it and uses it with no fuss. (Something like 50,000 hardware drivers ship in XP, more in Vista.)

If it is oddball hardware...what input cable or port is it equipped with? Digital or analog input? If you can't tell, try taking it to a local high-end car stereo shop and asking them.

Touch screen is something else again, you'll need some way to put data back into the computer, a simple video connection isn't going to be two-way for the monitor.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote