Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 06:14   #16

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Re: MARINE HF SSB RADIOS

I have an Icom 728 marine/ham for sale if anyone is interested
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 17:58   #17

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

you might also want to ask at the IC-M710 user group at Yahoo. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ICM710/info
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:18   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
you might also want to ask at the IC-M710 user group at Yahoo. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ICM710/info

The ICM710 group has an extensive file section, an archive of questions and answers like yours, and a pretty knowledgeable group. It's generally quiet with very high signal to noise when there is a question or topic.

I'm the moderator of that group. Membership is manual so it may take a day to approve.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:26   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

There are also threads here on CF about the 710 series. Including links to files needed to program.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-183807.html

As mentioned, the Yahoo group is also an excellent resource and you are likely to find more model specific discussion/resources there.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 21:53   #20

OK. Thanks the info.

Oddly I also have an ICOM 728 bought when it was new long ago.

Most these marine radios I believe on receive cover most HF areas to listen to anything there in AM/SSB/CW,etc. (CW I asssume in SSB position) Shortwave stations, etc. (although shortwave station quantity is nothing like it used to be)

Most ICOM marine radios can be modified to be used for amateur radio. The 710 I think they made it difficult and there are different versions but bet it can be done.

All amateur HF SSB radios can be used on marine channels with usually a simple modification. I will not get into legal stuff as every country is different and USA regs just cover USA.

Amplifiers can be useful but don't know how popular as they would draw a bunch of extra electricity.

So just some tid-bits from somebody that does not know everything !!!!
shepaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:22   #21

Boat: colvic victor 40

I am about to purchase a boat that has installed a S.S.B radio. I have a R/T restricted license from my merchant navy days, will this cover me?
kev62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:20   #22

I am sorry as I am not up to licensing requirements. BUT every country has different licensing requirements and if you are out in international waters that is a good question for somebody who knows more.

As must be said I never advocate anything not legal BUT who enforces this stuff ? Like amateur radio equipment is not legal for the marine bands in the USA at least. Got to pass some technical tests, etc. (the radio) I do not think any of this is any violation to worry about but in these days allot like to collect fine money. (revenue !!)

To me it is just nice to have a radio that can cover more distance than VHF radios that just cover 'line of sight'. Of coarse something that transmits to satellites is a different story as the satellite will relay your signal elsewhere. HF radio waves bounce off the sky and 'bounce' extended distances.

ICOM has a modern HF SSB radio that I think I have seen under $2000. BUT this cheapie I don't think has modern marine type radio options. Amateur Radio equipment one can get a new transceiver for under a $1000, etc.

Then if you have anything HF you get a receiver that can just listen to allot of things. (FREE) Shortwave stations or ? although such as been diminishing as too costly to run. Back in the Cold War Days seems every country would have some shortwave broadcasts. ya know..Radio Moscow or Cuba or Canada or Voice of America, etc. etc. Not all is gone.

Licensing ? I doubt such is very complicated. I just am not up to requirements of paperwork.
shepaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:44   #23

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Good catch - British operators will need to research their own regs.

While it is true that there is little enforcement these days, it does exist. And it remains illegal to operate amateur radio equipment on the marine bands. It is pretty trivial for the FCC to determine if a transmission is coming from a ham radio instead of a marine SSB, and if one is unlucky enough to get caught the fines are staggering. The last fine I remember was for $8k. For U.S. vessels it is easy enough to buy a marine radio that can be opened to ham bands, and that is legal, so why take the risk? Also, marine type-accepted radios tend to be better. For non-U.S. vessels a separate ham radio would be the legal approach.

FWIW the international treaty governing these things specifies that a ship's radio cannot be used for amateur activities. The U.S. interprets this as only applying to compulsory-carriage radios, and thus allows marine SSB radios on yachts to operate on ham frequencies. AFAIK they are alone in this interpretation.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, radio, ssb