Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 19:54   #121

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.
Re: Maretron vs. Airmar Ultrasonic Wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
I did the search, didn't find anything particularly alarming. The link seems to show a unit that suffered physical damage and not necessarily a problem with the unit. What am I missing?

But that's really beside the point. What I'm really asking is, which is going to be more reliable: an ultrasonic or a traditional wind sensor?

I know of three dubious longevity 508's in existence. Enough for me.

I have just had several "not happy with it" experiences.
I am tired of outlaying serious money for a device/cabling, only to find it developes a fault in the first 12+mnths.
The latest is a faulty PB200 cable, which I either fork out another $200 , or fix a rather fundamental manufacturing flaw.
lateral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 20:21   #122

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
I know of three dubious longevity 508's in existence. Enough for me.

I have just had several "not happy with it" experiences.
I am tired of outlaying serious money for a device/cabling, only to find it developes a fault in the first 12+mnths.
The latest is a faulty PB200 cable, which I either fork out another $200 , or fix a rather fundamental manufacturing flaw.
So from a previous post, it sounds like you are considering going back to mechanical. Is there a mechanical that you like? Isn't the cable just a N2K backbone?
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 20:35   #123

Quote:
So from a previous post, it sounds like you are considering going back to mechanical. Is there a mechanical that you like? Isn't the cable just a N2K backbone?
Well, I'm on the fence right now. I love the PB200 when its working. But I have had an intermittent fault in the backbone cable which at first I ascribed to the device, but was actually the cable. So I have lodged a warranty replacement on the cable and will run with the ultrasonic for the moment.
I would like B&G 213 but the price made me wince as you need the converter to N2K as well. $1500US

Yes, the ultrasonic PB200 is the end of the N2k backbone with a PROP non field attachable fitting. Yes I have only one resistor at the end,. Yes everything is to spec except CanL & CanH to ground. Yes, Airmar are offering usual plattiudes which I guess is par for course.

Yes I am pissed off the ultrasonic is inaccurate in rain and wont Steer-to-wind very well. Bt in av to good weather its amazing.
I can't comment on anything ultrasonic other than PB200.
Try moondusters posts on SA for critique on ultrasonics.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:48   #124

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Maretron vs. Airmar Ultrasonic Wind

Except for a Cat. 3 hurricane, I've had good luck with Raymarine analog to a ITC-5 to N2K.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 14:34   #125

Quote:
Spoke with Navico and the 608 is supposed to address the current potential issues. That will be my next purchase as backup to PB200.
Old 17-07-2018, 18:19   #126

Boat: Cooper 416
Question Re: Maretron vs. Airmar Ultrasonic Wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Well, I'm on the fence right now. I love the PB200 when its working. But I have had an intermittent fault in the backbone cable which at first I ascribed to the device, but was actually the cable. So I have lodged a warranty replacement on the cable and will run with the ultrasonic for the moment.
I would like B&G 213 but the price made me wince as you need the converter to N2K as well. $1500US

Yes, the ultrasonic PB200 is the end of the N2k backbone with a PROP non field attachable fitting. Yes I have only one resistor at the end,. Yes everything is to spec except CanL & CanH to ground. Yes, Airmar are offering usual plattiudes which I guess is par for course.

Yes I am pissed off the ultrasonic is inaccurate in rain and wont Steer-to-wind very well. Bt in av to good weather its amazing.
I can't comment on anything ultrasonic other than PB200.
Try moondusters posts on SA for critique on ultrasonics.
So to revive an old thread... as I've just had a disappointing bout with the Garmin Wireless Wind 2 (my mast is a bit too tall, and some fiberglass in the way), how is the general accuracy of the Airmar ultrasonic? Can you give a few more details on its failings in rain? When it first came out I wasn't all that impressed, but a fair number of years have gone by and people seem generally happy. I'd be installing it with N2K cabling.
Old 17-07-2018, 19:36   #127

Sorry, haven't done any sustained cruising to test.
No issues as yet on light rain.
Old 17-07-2018, 21:14   #128

Boat: Y40

I have now been using LCJ Capteurs' ultra-sonic wind sensor CV7-C for several years and have not noticed any problems in rain. In a single sensor setup it is of course always difficult to judge the performance, but the behavior in rain has been quite trustworthy. LCJ Capteurs' specifications does neither (as in the case of Airmar) have any disclaimer of poor performance in rain.
ChrisseH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 04:55   #129

Boat: Cooper 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisseH View Post
I have now been using LCJ Capteurs' ultra-sonic wind sensor CV7-C for several years and have not noticed any problems in rain. In a single sensor setup it is of course always difficult to judge the performance, but the behavior in rain has been quite trustworthy. LCJ Capteurs' specifications does neither (as in the case of Airmar) have any disclaimer of poor performance in rain.
I've definitely been interested in this sensor based on the discussion here, but I'm done with running low/odd level signals over long distances and interface boxes. So I want N2K up the mast plugging right into the network. I'd deal with the lack of availability in the US, but LCJ Capteurs doesn't have a sensor that meets this requirement.
Old 18-07-2018, 08:09   #130

Boat: Y40

You get N2k using LCJ Capteurs' WindyPlug and if you like you can install this next to the sensor in the mast top. I have also understood that RainWise Inc is selling LCJ Capteurs' products in US.
ChrisseH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 13:40   #131

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Bit late for Dockhead perhaps, but just came across this used by Erik, the mad Viking who sails North of 60' in mid winter

https://openwind.de/

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind